86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine install: mystery wire on 88 Pickup, 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine install: mystery wire on 88 Pickup, 22RE

The vehicle is an 88 4WD Pickup with the 22RE engine and A/C. I believe it's a 49-state model: at least it doesn't have the air pump that the shop manual shows for California models.

Last spring I pulled the engine to do clutch, timing chain guides, &c. Naturally I carefully tagged and labeled every wire and vacuum hose, using masking tape and a felt-tipped pen. Things happened, and I only got back to installing the engine a couple of weeks ago - only to discover that over the summer, all my carefull labelling had bleached away :-(

After consulting diagrams and doing a lot of internet searching (and finding that most of the helpful pictures &c were on this forum - thanks!) I THINK I've got everything hocked up properly - except for one #%#&! wire connector,

It's a black, male T-shaped 2-wire connector coming off the main harness that runs through the intake manifold. It has two wires, white with geen and red stripes, inside the usual grey tubing, and is long enough to reach from the harness to the far side of the valve cover. (I have a good picture, but can't manage to attach it...)

I have pulled the intake manifold off to check underneath, looked everywhere I can think of, and I just can't find where this connector is supposed to go.

The only wiring diagram I have is the barely legibile one in the Chilton book. The only white/green wire I see goes between the ECU and an "A/C idle-up VSV" (which doesn't seem to exist). White/red comes off the ECU to two of the injectors, and another white/red is from the battery through a fusible link to the ignition switch. Neither of these seem like they should be anywhere the connector can reach.

So I'm pretty well stumped. Can anyone help?
Old 10-02-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Upload that photo, use the Image button the in Quick Reply window. It's in the top menu, second group, near the smiley face icon.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:19 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesqf
The vehicle is an 88 4WD Pickup with the 22RE engine and A/C.
So I'm pretty well stumped. Can anyone help?
Probably a vsv activation wire...

But don't guess TEST!!

Multimeter set to continuity or resistance. ECU pin map in hand.

Black probe on one of the unknown wires, red probe will be used on the ECU plug.

When you get a tone, or near zero ohm reading you've found the mystery wire.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:23 AM

Below is an example of locating/identifying mystery wires.
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU

10-30-2016.. ECU engine Harness pulled for mockup, Supervisors.
-- I had a little supervision, why the boss gotta watch me work it makes me nervous!

We came to an understanding, You don't move and I don't get the wasp spray and lay waste to all your family.
Pulled the engine harness out of the truck to put it on the engine to continue with the upper intake.

-- Mystery wire identification(O2 sensor)

Between the fore and aft intake runners there is bundled with the A/C vacuum actuator is this wire with a generic spade connector. What is it, why do I not remember where this goes or pulling it off of anything?
--Meter ground in the unknown plug. Ready to probe the plugs.

Oh. that is the oxygen sensor. There was a clue before, did you catch it. It is a shielded wire, only the O2 and KNK are ground plane shielded.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:26 AM

And here is the map, note this is the back side of the connectors.
ACV, bottom right of large connector.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 AM

I've tried the image uploader. I enter the name of the file, and click on the "Upload" button, but it does nothing. Tried with several browsers on different machines...

Thanks for the test info and pinout. I'll give it a try today. However, it seems likely to leave me with the same problem: even if I know what the wire is supposed to do, I can't find its matching connector.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:59 AM

I've tried the image uploader. I enter the name of the file, and click on the "Upload" button, but it does nothing. Tried with several browsers on different machines...
You should be selecting (click/tap) a file via a "browse" option, if you are getting a text box to use you've likely selected the wrong (upload from URL) choice.
​​​​​​There should be a sticky walkthrough, but it maybe a little out of date on the screen shots..

Back to the issue..
Thanks for the test info and pinout. I'll give it a try today. However, it seems likely to leave me with the same problem: even if I know what the wire is supposed to do, I can't find its matching connector.
Oh this seems a communication break down maybe... You've misplaced the vacuum switch valve, either it's not on the valve cover (got lost on the work bench or part storage) or it got used elsewhere for the wrong purpose...

You took pictures I think I read? It's the gadget at the front left of the valve cover, it connects in two places to the intake with the lines from the power steering.

You can see mine here. Note mine is missing the dust cap in this picture (it's a black cylinder that would show on the far/rearward side), and not connected to the ecu. (Plugged in)

If you don't use AC just plug the ports at the intake and leave the electrical alone.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts

x2 on what Co_94_PU said above.

For the photo upload problem, try this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f122...loader-301179/

The background color of the photo uploader has changed (from white to black), but the process is exactly the same.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Re photo upload, I get to the 3rd picture where there's a field that says "File name". I enter the name "w1.jpg" and the "Open" button is no longer greyed out. I click on that once, and nothing happens. Click on it a second time, and I go back to the screen with the big arrow and "Browse your device".

WRT the connector, there isn't a VSV on the front of the valve cover. (I assume you mean left as driver's side?) The under-hood vacuum line diagram does show one with dotted lines, and a note that says "with A/C". The two vacuum lines go directly between the silver cylinder on the power steering pump (though I can't imagine why) to ports on the intake - one in front of the throttle valve, one behind. Where the VSV is in your picture there's just a holder for the vacuum lines. Otherwise there are two VSVs on the rear (driver's side) of the valve cover, with connectors & lines matching.

I'm pretty sure this is the way it was when I took the engine out: the lines are the proper length, and I don't seem to have any missing pieces. (I'll have a good garage cleanout anyway.) Perhaps it was changed by a previous owner? I've only had it for around 10 years, and I'm pretty sure the engine had been out at least once before I owned, since I had to extract a couple of snapped-off bolts. Anyway, at least I can stop thinking about pulling the intake manifold back off to look for connectors underneath. I'll just go ahead with re-assembly and see if it runs :-)
Old 10-03-2018, 01:08 PM

Follow the vacuum lines from the power steering pump to the device on the side of the intake. On this device you may find a small section of hard line if have this port and its not capped you've most likely misplaced the vsv in question..

Now for the picture again don't type it just select it in the GUI with your mouse, it's probably a simple.typo or naming error common mistakes would not seeing a space "w1 .jpg" for example or its not showing the file extension and its "w1.jpg.jpg"
Old 10-03-2018, 01:10 PM

Front back left right

Your vehicle has a front end, are you ever confused by this and in the trunk/boot? Thus it must have a left and right also..

Driver/passenger terms cause issues because not all vehicles left side driver position.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:16 PM

[*QUOTE=Co_94_PU;52409343]Your vehicle has a front end, are you ever confused by this and in the trunk/boot? Thus it must have a left and right also...[/QUOTE]

If i'm working on the engine (or looking at your picture), I'm facing it, so left and right are the opposite of what they'd be if I was sitting in the truck :-) Maybe I should say it's on the exhaust side?
Old 10-03-2018, 07:50 PM

Your vehicle has a front end, are you ever confused by this and in the trunk/boot? Thus it must have a left and right also...
If i'm working on the engine (or looking at your picture), I'm facing it, so left and right are the opposite of what they'd be if I was sitting in the truck :-) Maybe I should say it's on the exhaust side?
I could have just answered yes to your question I guess since mine is an American vehicle with left hand driver position, but we're trying to educate and spread knowledge.. We will continue!

What I said was
"at the front left of the valve cover"
I could have said
"On the exhaust side of the valve cover"
Or even
"On the lower right of this picture"
All are accurate, but the first is the established standard and you should train yourself to think/read/speak/write this way and always give directions as they relate to the vehicles front/rear and left/right.. If you're ever in doubt by all means ask for clarification but it's generally safe to assume if some one says "on the right" it's vehicles right..

You can also run into issues with using the last example, for example the picture winds up rotated by some bit of software due to a glitch or user error. Now you are hunting all around the back of the valve cover, or the wrong side, for telltale marks of where something might of been mounted.

(Side note, look for tell tale marks that indicate "something" used to be there like scratches dust or marks/absence of oil! You might be on a goose chase for something, you may find a clear outline that indicates it was there and you put it on the cover in the wrong position...)

So again..

If you are looking towards the tail gate, it doesn't suddenly become "the front of the vehicle".. Unless you mounted that uhm let's go with novely (instead of wrong!)...

Old 10-04-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
Upload the photo in this website:
https://imgur.com/
and post the link to it in your next post.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:20 AM

VSV, color coded

The VSV's and plugs are color coded FYI..

Black, red, brown, blue? Depending on model years, I can't find a good photo for this in my limited time..

I did stumble across a thread with good pictures (which don't appear to be showing up in the quotes)

Another tell tale signs you are on "a wild goose chase". Does the wire look like it was folded or double backed on it self which indicates it used to be tied up shorter than its full length, this indicates it was tied back at the factory and not used on your engine.

Originally Posted by ShadowTek
What is this vacuum connector on the 22re valve cover? It has two vacuum lines, an air filter on one end, and en electrical connector.

I broke one of the plastic nipples trying to get an old vacuum hose off. It broke all the way down at the base, so I can't put the hose back on. Is there a way to repair that, or are these cheap enough that I can just buy another?

This is an '88 truck.
Originally Posted by ShadowTek
I've been looking at the FSM, but it still doesn't make sense. PAIR valve = AS valve, right? All my FSM mentions is an AS system, but it shows that vsv valve as having a check valve, which this valve in question doesn't have.

But the other vacuum valve farther back on the valve cover does have a check valve on one of it's hoses.

The two vacuum hoses that come out of the first vsv I pictured lead to the connection with the spring on top in this next picture.

Is this still the same valve you thought it was? If so, what is the vsv with the red connector and the check valve?
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Oh. That's your A/C idle up VSV. I was wondering why it wasn't red.... my mistake. I see now. The red VSV further back is for the AS SYSTEM, then the furthest back is for the fuel pressure (blue)
That spring thing is the A/C idle up adjustment.
Thread link...
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 AM

Side note, look for tell tale marks that indicate "something" used to be there like scratches dust or marks/absence of oil! You might be on a goose chase for something, you may find a clear outline that indicates it was there and you put it on the cover in the wrong position...
The only thing in the position of the VSV in your picture is the holder for lines - the two vacuum lines that run to the PS pump, and the spark plug wires. I didn't need to unbolt it from the valve cover when I took it apart.

I'm going on the assumption that if there ever was a VSV for the A/C there, some previous owner removed it. I don't really use the A/C anyway, since I seldom drive the truck in the summer. The A/C probably has accumulated more running time from me turning it on for a few minutes every couple of months to keep it lubricated, than from actual cooling use.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 91 toyota 22RE. cal. I did a rebuild, new rings ,connecting rod bearings, fuel pump, water pump, oil pump, all new gaskets, timing chain....list goes on. runs then dies. checked fuel pressure, timing is perfect. Sometimes it will run and not die. Running rich for sure.There is a hose connection under the intake manifold theta i could not figure out, i plugged it. Its not the two hoses from the iac, but they may be connected? Any help is appreciated. I said all the curse words i could today.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by sammycpt
I have a 91 toyota 22RE. cal. I did a rebuild, new rings ,connecting rod bearings, fuel pump, water pump, oil pump, all new gaskets, timing chain....list goes on. runs then dies. checked fuel pressure, timing is perfect. Sometimes it will run and not die. Running rich for sure.There is a hose connection under the intake manifold theta i could not figure out, i plugged it. Its not the two hoses from the iac, but they may be connected? Any help is appreciated. I said all the curse words i could today.
you need to show what you have hooked up to what, what you have plugged off.

When it does run, does it run smooth?

Can you keep it running with the throttle?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:15 AM

Still stalling

you need to show what you have hooked up to what, what you have plugged off.

When it does run, does it run smooth?

Can you keep it running with the throttle?
If I hold the gas pedal down it will not shut off. Smooth no stumbling. I can even drive it as long as I don't let off the gas. I will upload some pictures in a few hours. I know it's probably something simple. Any help is useful.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:02 AM

Still stalling

Originally Posted by sammycpt
If I hold the gas pedal down it will not shut off. Smooth no stumbling. I can even drive it as long as I don't let off the gas. I will upload some pictures in a few hours. I know it's probably something simple. Any help is useful.

Quick Reply: Engine install: mystery wire on 88 Pickup, 22RE