Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Emissions control

Old 10-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions control

I was reflecting on the last rebuild of my 22R in my '86 Pickup, and I came to the conlusion that I'm going to remove all of that crap and throw it in the garbage. Seriously, I live in a farming commmunity and the county doesn't require it, so it's gone. Are there any tips from anyone who's done this in the past? I searched and most of the posts deal with people who are bummed that their vehicle won't pass smog. All I really need to know is what needs to stay. Can I remove the emissions computer and just plug all of the holes? Will I need a new ignition? The only thing I want to stay is the heating and air conditioning. Any resources that anyone haswould be awesome.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whoa easy cowboy.... you can't just go in remove things cause you don't want them..... The ignition due to it being carb is going nowhere so yea..... its not hurting nothing and even if you did that you would not gain much power..... as you may thing.... i mean maybe someone on here can jerry rig somethin... but um i'd leave it OEM as much as possible....
Old 10-24-2009, 05:57 PM

More for simplicities sake than just not wanting them. My carbureator looks like someone's brain stem with all of the tubes and wires going every which way.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 PM

yea i know its annoying easpially if you do a headgasket or rebuild.... i know....... i got lots of hoses on my 22re too.... bookoo hoses.... but they all serve a purpose....
Old 10-24-2009, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
but they all serve a purpose....
Haha you mean besides being annoying? No, I'm not sure what if any noticeable power gains there might be, but as for their ability to "control emissions", its hard to take it seriously when your neighbor is allowed to burn his trash.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:49 AM

If you want to play around and disconnect stuff i mean...... thats cool your choice but if you do mack sure you plug it off.... oh and don't disconnect your PCV valve thats required.... it helps your engine last longer.....
Old 10-25-2009, 06:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know, just because your county doesnt require it doesn't make it less bad for the environment.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
You know, just because your county doesnt require it doesn't make it less bad for the environment.
I agree i want snow up here in montana
Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 AM

lol there are worse things poluting the enviroment than your friendly neighborhood toyota.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:50 PM

That's a sore subject with a lot of people. My question is, since the majority of pollutive manufacturing is happening in Asia, how are stricter and stricter emissions law in the U.S. going to even make a dent? Espescially since one sizeable volcano eruption emits more greenhouse gasses than all of the cars to ever exist in the United States. So yeah, my liittle Toyota probably won't hurt much, and my two stroke dirt bike, which the EPA has intermittently attacked in the last couple of decades, sure as hell won't. Damn dude, I just wanted to make life simpler. Anyway, I researched it and I'm just going with a Weber setup. Whatever doesn't plug into it I probably don't need.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:17 PM

I hate to point out the obvious but pollution control is a team effort. Can you imagine how many others have the same theology that "my little yota wont hurt anything"...100,000? 500,000? Suddenly you have alot of extra emissions that could be controlled. Dont fool yourself, pollution control is about reducing mans effect on the environment, not about making excuses that natural phenomena creates higher pollution.

Saying that, climate change WILL continue to cycle and change again regardless of pollution levels. But in the meantime I enjoy my fresh air. Good luck with the webber
Old 10-26-2009, 02:24 PM

Until we go around and quickcrete all the cow's asses shut on this planet,global warming is here to stay.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by milehigheric
I hate to point out the obvious but pollution control is a team effort. Can you imagine how many others have the same theology that "my little yota wont hurt anything"...100,000? 500,000? Suddenly you have alot of extra emissions that could be controlled. Dont fool yourself, pollution control is about reducing mans effect on the environment, not about making excuses that natural phenomena creates higher pollution.

Saying that, climate change WILL continue to cycle and change again regardless of pollution levels. But in the meantime I enjoy my fresh air. Good luck with the webber
Well said. How many millions of cars are on the road now? Each household now has about 3 cars (on average). If each person removed the cat and emissions control systems, think about that. On top of that, just because a volcano emits some greenhouse gases, does that mean we should give up and just contribute to the problem?

But it's your truck, I'm not going to hate you for it. I know things will get better for the environment, but it's the mindset/attitude that we should just give up all effort that I don't like.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:21 PM

I don't think we should give up all effort at all. Smog sucks. I know firsthand from living right at the smog line, 3000' or so, in San Diego County for years. My only point is that there are probably targets that would put a much bigger dent in the problem than say, off road vehicles. I think a good amount of the information on climate change, pollution, and global warming is overblown in order to scare people into taking action and/or opening their wallets. I don't know about you guys, but the idea of wheeling in an electric powered 4x4 that I have no idea how to work on has all of the appeal of, say, going purse shopping with the wife.

So yes, I think we should stop polluting, but I also think that the information out there that's being force-fed should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:08 PM

I ripped all mine off....ALL! Yank the ugly EGR and take the two bolt intake metal hose line off. yank the carb, fill the egr hole from the inside with a papertowl or duck tape. Fill the intake hole with epoxy (JB weld if that your thing). On the exhaust side...pull the mount off the manifoild and run down to the exhaust shop or airport, have it welded shut. Screw that back on! Pull the two ugly temp gauges on TOP of the manifold and fill th holes with brass plugs from a hardware store. Make sure to teflon em'. You can also plug the temp controlled vacuum one near the back of the intake and also the big crap vacuum tree under the carb. Cut the wire on the bottom of the intake manifold...this heats up the maifold and robs HP. Rip all the junk off fender (vacuum solinoids, carcoal canisters). Just run silicone vacuum lines to the distibuter advance (make sure to mare which one is which cause one is ported for half throttle. You dont need the AAP on the carb so disconect that. Cut your cat off and bury it in your neighbors yard. Disconnect all the crap for the heat controlled air heater (coming off the exhaust manifold) and burn it. I seal up all unused ports on my carb with JB weld. You can wire the fuel cut solinoid directly to ignition to turn that off all the time. Take the air pump off and turn it into a Halloween prop. along with the resonator and all related garbage. There's a BVSV vacuum switch by the other two temp senders on the top of the manifold....TOSS IT! Plug that with a nice shiny brass plug! I pulled my vacuum line going to the choke opener and let the electronic choke turn itself off or just blup the throttle manually. Oh make sure to pop in a 160 degree thremostat (heat steals your power!) I run headman headers to dress up my now naked engine. Now that you can see you ENGINE and not spagetti make sure to soak it in egine cleaner and degease the block. You DON'T NEED a PVC valve. They dont use them on and ralley cars, race cars, race engines, boats, or small 4-cyclinder stuff. Put breathers in place of the PCV and also another oneon the front left of the manifold. Not only have you taken off 100 pounds of crap, you truck looks better, runs better, easier to fix trailside, and you've made more HP. Anyone that tells you otherwise hasn't done this and is still choking there poor yota. Heck my GIRLFRIEND said "Holy crap what did you do" after I floored it for the first time. Only downfall....you have to let the engine warm up for 5min in the winter before it's drivable (you should do this anyway!!...never drive a cold engine) and earth people will get mad that your 86' still is making a quarter the emissions of that F350 crew cab diesel that is still LEGAL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 AM

Thanks Tron, that answers my question. I'll make it so ASAP.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 AM

So the blow by gasses, where do they go? Just sit in the crankcase? Leave the PCV if nothing else, it was invented without emissions in mind (yeah..back in those days) although it managed to kill two birds with one stone. EGR actually helps cool each cylinder by injecting inert gas too.

Taken off 100 pounds of crap? Well my scales must be reading wrong
Runs better? I argue it runs the same, albeit with more emissions output
Easier to fix? 22R emissions never cause immediate severe issues that have to be fixed that instant (compared to head gasket, timing chain - those sorts of things). TBH I can't think of any system in any vehicle that is easier to work on (replace, service) than the emission's system
More HP? EGR deactivates when you put the foot down (no HP loss), PCV system is vital regardless of HP loss (it would be negligible anyway). People get sensitive when you make these calles, if you call more HP, show the graph to prove it. Maybe your suffering from a bit of placebo effect? It takes more than a couple of horsepower to be noticable.
Looks better? It is just as easy to make things look neat than to remove everything
Old 10-28-2009, 03:27 AM

I removed all of the emissions on my last 4x4 a few months after I put a Weber carb on it. I did notice more power on top of what the carb gave me, but it was minor. Was it worth it, yeah, easier to work on without navigating through 35' of vacuum lines.
As far as emissions go, A well tuned truck isn't going to produce much in the way of emissions. I don't care what emissions products it has on it, smog pump, egr, whatever tune it right and it will run great.
As far as PCV goes, keep it, you honestly have to have it, I can't explain it off the top of my head for fear of getting it all wrong, but it is needed. Google it! Race cars don't run 'em, fine, but they are constantly getting rebuilds or new engines.
Thats my piece, don't hate! This 4runner is keeping everything it has, I promise!
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by milehigheric
So the blow by gasses, where do they go? Just sit in the crankcase?
Isn't that what the crankcase breather is for?

Last edited by maicomega1; 10-29-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 AM

In a perfect blow by gasses would escape through the breather but a PCV actually encourages by bringing fresh air into the crankcase through a breather and pully blow by out through the PCV valve itself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Emissions control