86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electric Fan - Single speed or dual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Electric Fan - Single speed or dual?

First off, what a GR8 place to find information. Well after reading several threads and the install for the electric fan, I have decided to go for it! Hit the wrecking yard and found a dual speed electric fan out of a 93 Lincoln Continental, 3.8L. The fan seems to be the same between like about 5 different vehicles. I am going to assume as long as they have the 3.8 V6 they are going to be the same? Only thing I noted was that in the write up on install the shroud seemed to have a differently shaped extention on one side that I did not find on any of the fans I located in the yard but none of them were newer then 1994.

Went to the local parts store (NAPA was across the street from the yard) asked about the Hayden controller but they didn't have it so stopped in AutoZone where I have a good friend who works there so asked them for the best controller but also with a reasonable cost. They recommended the TorqFlo model #733647. Also picked up the install kit with the round tie wraps. Cost for the parts less 10% for military discount came to just under $40. Fan cost at the wrecking yard $35.

The TorqFlo has an adjustable temperature control with a range of 150-240 degrees (factory set for 160). Unit comes with a 40 amp relay and is wired to allow for dual speed control. Control of power uses wire for attachment to 12vdc ignition source or direct to the battery but they warn about running your battery down. I know a little about current draw, the control unit has an inline fuse holder for the hot lead to the battery and contains a 30 amp fuse. The relay has the following information stamped on the top of the relay '12V 30/40A'. Is this information related to the current capacity of the relay for the corresponding speeds slow/fast?

Questions:
1) If I hook this unit up as per the directions, will I run into any issues with current draw from the Ford Taurus/Lincoln fan? I have no idea the rating of the fan speeds.

2) Should I wire up both speeds per the directions? Advantages/disadvantages current draw issues?

3) Should I have it hooked up to allow for continued running after shutting off the engine? Advantages/disadvantages?

After reading about some heat issues about melt down of controllers, I am going to go with the recommendations for mounting the control unit near the driver's side firewall away from any heat sources!

Anything else I should be aware of? Any recommendations? I am also considering adding an Aux fuse panel to the center of the firewall for some other interior adds such as CB and aux 12VDC outlet for running a small inverter so my son can use it to play his PlayStation on our upcoming trip. Then looking at a more permanent inverter after I get home.

4) Would it be best to use an aux fuse box to hook the fan controller or should I go with a direct connection to the battery?

Ok I guess I used up about as much space as I dare today. Thanks for all the help here guys Have a gr8 and safe 4th!