Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

EBAY HID Headlight kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DO NOT USE "E" CODE HOUSINGS!!!

Besides being illegal to use, the light flares up to the left so they can see the reflections from road signs... on the left side of the road. If you're in the USA, where are most of your road signs? ... on the right? So you want to blind oncoming drivers?

DOT compliant housings flare up to the right, where we drive and where our road signs are.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMcEL
If you're going to put them in a reflector housing, don't. Do a proper projector retrofit if you want HIDs, otherwise upgrade your headlight wiring and run some good halogens.
what he said!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian

Besides being illegal to use, the light flares up to the left so they can see the reflections from road signs... on the left side of the road. If you're in the USA, where are most of your road signs? ... on the right? So you want to blind oncoming drivers?

DOT compliant housings flare up to the right, where we drive and where our road signs are.
Hella E-Codes that I have in my pickup (with halogens) have the uptick/flare to the right.

Not all e-codes have the flare to the left.

In any case, HIDs in halogen housings are poop. Don't do it. Ever. Been there. Done that. Trust me, a proper halogen rewire blows it away every time.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 107 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by shaeff
Hella E-Codes that I have in my pickup (with halogens) have the uptick/flare to the right.

Not all e-codes have the flare to the left.
as do the autopal ebay ones
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed with Robert M and shaeff. I bought a pair of the Autopal E-codes and a H4 Sylvania Ultra's (dont even think about arguing with me about them please) and mine shine UP on the RIGHT side of the road like they are supposed to.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM

I saw a proper HID kit in my local shop i think the kit was $250 is this acceptable? I believe they were 6000k nice white light not to annoying but will get the job done with no one wanting to take a ball bean to your truck
Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM

HID's are the bomb

I got this set here for my 94 4runner
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230657598627

Installed with standard harness. Love them, would not go back to Halogen. Personally i have not tried the upgraded harness + Halogens but i like the white light the HID produces makes the car look 10x better.

I Also installed HID's into my Rally 4000 spotlights, i never drive in the dark its like day time 24x7

Just my opinion =)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed some 5k HIDs in my 92 and drove around for one night with them. They weren't any "brighter" than a proper halogen, the cutoff was terrible, and I felt like an ass blinding everyone I met. I could clearly see their faces as they went by. I did install some 5k HIDs in my Harbor Freight offroad flood lights and it worked out pretty nicely.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Hey thanks for the replies! I still have some more research to do but i will take your suggestions into consideration.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
I installed some 5k HIDs in my 92 and drove around for one night with them. They weren't any "brighter" than a proper halogen, .
maybe our headlight housings are different do you have the sealed beam housing? or is it the glass one? i think there the two different ones...... maybe this is why you had not the greatest results?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by worshipmentor
Agreed with Robert M and shaeff. I bought a pair of the Autopal E-codes and a H4 Sylvania Ultra's (dont even think about arguing with me about them please) and mine shine UP on the RIGHT side of the road like they are supposed to.
Sylvania < Osram. Argument over.

Originally Posted by giguchan
I saw a proper HID kit in my local shop i think the kit was $250 is this acceptable? I believe they were 6000k nice white light not to annoying but will get the job done with no one wanting to take a ball bean to your truck
Please define “proper.” Any $250 kit is probably not “proper.” And 6000k is not nice and white, unless it’s a 50/55w system. (35w 6000k has a very annoying bluish tint).

Originally Posted by vasinvictor
I installed some 5k HIDs in my 92 and drove around for one night with them. They weren't any "brighter" than a proper halogen, the cutoff was terrible, and I felt like an ass blinding everyone I met. I could clearly see their faces as they went by. I did install some 5k HIDs in my Harbor Freight offroad flood lights and it worked out pretty nicely.
Much of the reason is because of the halogen housing. A xenon bulb strikes an arc in an upward bow. Halogen housings are designed around the drooping fashion that a filament takes when illuminated. Bottom line is that HIDs in halogen housings isn’t proper. Hella E-codes do a decent job of making a sharp cutoff, but the euro style up-ticks (even for LHD market) still pose enough of an annoyance that you have to aim the lights down so far that you’re not covering much area in front of you. Either that or you’re blinding people.

Trust me, I’ve been there. I had a 6000k PnP HID kit in my truck for a little over a year. While the output was brighter, it was not as useful as rewired halogens in the exact same e-code housings. With the HIDs aimed so I could get good distance from the low beam, I’d blind everyone and their unborn children. With the halogens aimed the same way, all good, great distance, no blinding.

Originally Posted by StampyDH
maybe our headlight housings are different do you have the sealed beam housing? or is it the glass one? i think there the two different ones...... maybe this is why you had not the greatest results?
Sealed beams cannot accept HID capsules or H4 bulbs. That’s why they’re called sealed beams. A quality H4 housing with a good rewire, and a diode between hi output/lo input will out burn, out shine, and have a much better spread and cutoff than any HID kit you slap into the same halogen housings.

Edit: I'm currently in the works of doing a proper retrofit using TRS FXr projectors, Matsu˟˟˟˟a 35w ballasts, and crappy run-of-the-mill found on eBay H4 "projector" housings. Needless to say, the "projector" in the eBay housings are complete, and utter garbage. The ONLY thing these housings are good for is cutting up for a retrofit.

I'll make a thread when I'm done.

Last edited by shaeff; 01-11-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FattMaanLittleTruck
I'm gonna buy some of them hid fake projectors off ebay soon even though I know you all hate it, it causes glare, has no cutoff, ect.

someday I'll do a proper retrofit with a real projector lense.
Lol brutal... seriously?

Originally Posted by BMcEL
Please don't, but if you insist on running HIDs in reflector housings, at least get the Autopal e-code housings. The fake projector housings are crap no matter what bulb you put in them.

Originally Posted by americanmcss
Not True...I run a set of these in my 87 yota...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-95-Toyota...item48437b655a

With this H4 HID kit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Xenon-Si...item19cac8dc7e

Trust me, I sell this stuff for a living to farmers who are putting these things in their off road trucks and row crop tractors. You can't go wrong with this company's products and their customer service is great, and fast shipping.

As for my setup...I have run multiple different types of HID kits, different housings, and everything in between. You wont be dissapointed by the projectors in that ad and getting 4300K bulbs allows you to have bright light even in dark / rainy situations where the bluer lights tend to suck. The projector lenses keep the bulbs from blinding oncoming traffic but will illuminate the road in front of you very, very well. HID's are worth every penny and for 30 bucks, you cant beat the value of those projectors.
LOL why do farmers care about glare? Don't want to blind the cows? HID's will be bright and farmers will be happy... oncoming traffic wont.....
Value? Right to China... LOL

As others have said, you are incorrect, depending on where you are in Europe cars are either left or right hand drive...
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff
Sylvania < Osram. Argument over.

Sealed beams cannot accept HID capsules or H4 bulbs. That’s why they’re called sealed beams. A quality H4 housing with a good rewire, and a diode between hi output/lo input will out burn, out shine, and have a much better spread and cutoff than any HID kit you slap into the same halogen housings.
Ahh i see "SEALED" haha, right but if you get a good quality projector housing will you have better illumination with HID's??
Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 PM

Ahh i see "SEALED" haha, right but if you get a good quality projector housing will you have better illumination with HID's??
Nope, OEMs are switching to projected HIDs because they are inferior to halogen.

And because I know someone will take that seriously...a is neccessary.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 PM

You got it!

There aren't any projector "housings" per se, but rather fitting projectors to existing housings. For example, my pickup uses 7x6 housings, in which I will fit FXr projectors.

Halogen E-codes produce this cutoff:

HIDs in the same e-code housings produce this (lack of) cutoff. All that scattered light = GLARE unless you have the lights aimed so low that they're very bright, but useless because they're so low! Note that you get more width in the e-code housings with halogens!

I beleive BMcEL posted those two halogen vs HID pics elsewhere on this forum at some point.

FXr projectors produce this cutoff:

This picture is of my personal TFX (modded FX35 projectors) in my M3:

Can't even tell they're modded:

Note the width of the FXr, and the razor sharp cutoff. THAT is how HID is done.

Here's a picture of the OEM Infiniti FX35 projectors just before I custom installed them in the M3, as well as one of the Matsushita 35w ballasts:

FYI, you can buy replicas of the FX35 projectors, called FXr from here:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=101

Last edited by shaeff; 01-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 AM

i have the clear lensed lights with out that cheap lil blue light most clear cases have in the bottom or the cheap halo case thing in em i bought the bi xneon 6000k hi/low beam kit its scaters light pretty bad.. iv been doin alot of looking the best thing out their for quality and brightness that iv found is the retrofit sourse. i just ordered 250$ bucks worth of stuff to make my lights as awsome as posible .. its spendy but like iv always been told u pay for what u get?