86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driver's side handle mod retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Driver's side handle mod retrofit

Yes its simple, maybe borderline stupid, but its another mod you can do on the cheap!

THE EXTRA HANDLE MOD!

I always felt as if there was something missing in my 4runner. The passenger side front seat had two 'oh $#@%!' handles, and the driver's side had only one. I looked at the spots opposite the passenger side handle's mounting location, and by jeebus, with my finger I could feel a small round depression in the headliner material under the fabric. I looked at the handles in the back seat and they are exactly the same as the one on the passenger side. I then went on Ebay and ordered myself another gray handle with the 2 fillips head screws that came with it. I paid like $10 shipping included or something ridiculously low. I used a household sewing pin to poke through the headliner and probe for holes under the fabric, but I could only find the forward of the two holes extremely easily. Once I had the front hole located, I pushed in the fabric with my finger to mark it, held up the handle and poked the pin through the second hole.

(Location marked with my finger)

(See the pin over the left hand side of the handle? It's that little silver flake)

I then took my handy pocket knife, never more than arms reach from my driver's seat, and cut small X shaped incisions in the headliner material. They don't need to be big, in fact they don't even need to be as big as the holes underneath them. When I poked the screw through I found that there was metal thread matching those screws to secure the handle, and the hole in the headliner padding is slightly larger than the hole the screw fits into anyway. The plastic caps over the screws just pop in when you're done.

(cut headliner)

(add screws)

(insert plastic caps and test like a monkey! )