Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Doors off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doors off?

89 Toyota 4runner

Questioning taking the doors off b/c of nothing but 90 degree weather the next week...what do ya'll think?
Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

you plannin on any wheelin? Or just normal drivin? And what do the laws in your state say? Hey nevermind...your in Ga, we can have em off...

if you wheel a lot, you may flex the cab if you do extreme stuff, and then your doors may not fit correctly afterwards, other than that....Why not.

I think there is a mirror law....but in Ga, I dont think its enforced to much... I dunno.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 AM

there another thread about this floating around, and im sure a bunch of others...i think it would be nice, but you have to check to see if its legal...
Old 05-01-2007, 11:25 AM

yea, no extreme 4 wheelin, just some driving around locally. I know its not against the laws to have the doors off, I know the mirrors might be something, but I live in Toccoa, a small mountain town where you can get away with just about anything so I'm not worried.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:51 PM

its awesome! I love takin them off on my truck espiecially on the trail. Saw a thread on another site on how to make them quick release with pins to pull to take them off. If u start to feel unsafe u can always invest in the tube doors.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 PM

im topless and doorless right now, its supposed to be like 80 and sunny all week. i say go for it. when people ask me about it i say its like a jeep, but better, cuz its not a jeep
Old 05-01-2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by harpen123
its awesome! I love takin them off on my truck espiecially on the trail. Saw a thread on another site on how to make them quick release with pins to pull to take them off. If u start to feel unsafe u can always invest in the tube doors.
Do you know where you saw the thread? Doors will be off either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:11 PM

Yeah I just took off my doors and hard top on saturday. Beautiful day. Then yesterday it thunderstormed while I was at work... Dog gone Texas weather... So this morning I put the doors and soft top on and OHHH there's the sun. Did I already say dog gone Texas weather?
Old 05-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Yeah I just took off my doors and hard top on saturday. Beautiful day. Then yesterday it thunderstormed while I was at work... Dog gone Texas weather... So this morning I put the doors and soft top on and OHHH there's the sun. Did I already say dog gone Texas weather?
so hows the weather?

lol
Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 PM

At the moment? Sunny. 5 minutes from now? No idea...
Old 05-02-2007, 05:47 AM

I'm running tube doors. No they are not legal in Ohio, and no I'm not concerned with being pulled over. I already get pulled over for dumb ˟˟˟˟˟ all the time, so If they wanna pull me over for running tube doors...welll at least they'll have a more legitimate reason than mud over my license plate.
ps- the ladies seem to really dig my tacoma with tube doors, and when I took one wheeling a branch darn near ripped off her mud covered spaghetti strap shirt. Did I mention I like my tube doors?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:43 PM

Anyone with that thread about quick release door pins?

I wish my town could be trusted more or I would but tubes and run them as long as it's nice weather. Do tube doors help keep the cab from flexing out of shape when wheeling? I found mine from www.4xinnovations.com and was thinking about picking them up for camping and wheeling trips.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:47 PM

x2 find the thread for quick release door pins.

EDIT- Here it is!

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ease+door+pins

Last edited by hmmwv15; 05-02-2007 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM

Definitely gotta get me some. I just put the doors and top back on tonight. When I bought the 4runner the top only had 5 bolts holding it on out of 14 I believe. I got the bolts today and they were absolutely a PAIN IN THE REAR to get tight. But I got 'em none the less. Can't wait for some more good weather.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by SwampThing
Don't even talk until your state motto is "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!"

I hate the weather here. Last summer I took the doors off and the top off (it was like 95) and within ten minutes it was raining...

Hayes
Old 05-02-2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
I'm running tube doors. No they are not legal in Ohio, and no I'm not concerned with being pulled over. I already get pulled over for dumb ˟˟˟˟˟ all the time, so If they wanna pull me over for running tube doors...welll at least they'll have a more legitimate reason than mud over my license plate.
ps- the ladies seem to really dig my tacoma with tube doors, and when I took one wheeling a branch darn near ripped off her mud covered spaghetti strap shirt. Did I mention I like my tube doors?
haha, I gotta get me a set of those
Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
im always tempted to take mine off but im worried about theft and whatnot if i park anywhere but inside my garage
Old 05-02-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
Don't even talk until your state motto is "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!"

I hate the weather here. Last summer I took the doors off and the top off (it was like 95) and within ten minutes it was raining...

Hayes
That IS Texas' weather motto. You forget, we're bigger than you

We had 4 weather changes today. Woke up clear. Left to work and it was cloudy and drizzly. Before lunch came it was sunny. Afternoon we it started drizzling again. It's thunderstorming now, but should be clear again by midnight. Trust me, it sucks for wantin to take off your doors and top and such...

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-02-2007 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:52 PM

For anyone following this thread, I modified my driver side door to be "removable" I am not going to say "quick release" because it's kinda a hassle to take it off....some pics are blurry....also how do yall like my new paint job?

Anywho, Pics:

Here is the door off:

Here it is on(notice I haven't finished painting the back yet):

L-R old pins I took a grinder to to get them out, new pins I had to modify so they would fit. minus the pin that holds the door stopper in. (little pin, no mods)

And last but not least, the makeshift bicycle mirror I can clamp on so the cops can't complain.....

Old 05-06-2007, 05:22 PM

i did sort of the same mod to my 88 4runner... except I didnt make removable pins. i just cut the top half of pin off alont with the top part of the hinge. so all you have to do is lift the doors off and then set them back on works great. I think i drove doorless/topless everyday it didnt rain in the summer. its fun cruisin down the highway

Quick Reply: Doors off?