Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

door glass comes out of track on 88 4Runner

Old 07-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
door glass comes out of track on 88 4Runner

I have an '88 4Runner since it was almost new. A couple months ago - the driver's door glass literally fell out of it's track/linkage and ended up in the bottom of the door. It's not that it's falling out out of the side channels but that it's separating from the linkage at the bottom when lowering the window - they separate and eventually the glass falls down. I took the door apart and, with some force, re-inserted it into the channel at the bottom. It worked fine for a couple months - then again the symptoms started up and presently I can tell it's partially out of the linkage again and I have to leave it up.

It appears to be held into it's linkage at the bottom purely with friction. There's a small rubber strip that goes along the bottom edge of the glass. It is then tightly pressed into a U shaped metal channel that is part of the up/down linkage.

The rubber edging on mine was OK but had some dryness and small cracking. I can see about whether Toyota still offers the rubber piece for the bottom of the glass. (would anyone have a part#?)

I also need to see if there's anything in the up/down side channels that may be causing the glass to catch or have too much friction. But as I recall it slid pretty easily by hand last time I was in there. So I can only gather that given the easy sliding action and the weight of the glass means that any slight misallignment may cause just enough of a catch to lift the glass out of the linkage at the bottom...?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks or experience with getting a door glass back into the linkage and making it stay? Should the bottom of the window and rubber strips be glued?

thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Try a local auto glass shop for something to use as an adhesive for bottom of window glass. You can buy a new register for under $30

Old 07-13-2010, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience with glass comes from the rear door in my 91 4Runner. When I bought it, the right rear window would roll down, but not up. Turns out the frame was jammed and had pulled the glass out of that bottom track.

Easiest way to fix it was to pull it and the track. I cleaned the glass up and slid the glass into the channel from the side. Pushing it straight down into the track isn't going to work at all.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
My 88 PU did the same thing. Go to a Stealership and get the rubber strip that fits in the guide track. I went through my window falling down in the dead of a NH winter, that got old quick.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:04 AM

I have a possible part # for the rubber piece that goes around the edge of the bottom glass and inserts into the mechanism: 6990189108 - it's described as a Door - Glass and hardware - Lift channel - W/o vent
W/o vent 1984 - 1989

Does that sound like the right part and can anyone confirm that #?

---

Can the glass be inserted into the lift mechanism OUTSIDE of the door and the assembly dropped into he door...??? That would seem the best way to assemble the 2 pieces but I didn't think there was a way to get them into the door once assembled... but it's been a while since I've been in there and I've never tried that.

THanks everyone for your responses
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
fixed your thread title, there are couple of different 1st Gens
also if you need it you can download a factory service manual using the link in my signature.
Hopefully you get it fixed soon
Old 07-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks - I downloaded the '88 FSM - that's very handy indeed!

After looking at it my memory may have been in error. I think there is a rubber edge at the bottom of the window (needs to be replaced, this part is not mentioned/show in the FSM) AND that inserts into a U shaped metal strip (described simply as "Glass Channel" in the FSM). That metal channel has mounts on it to fasten it to the regulator itself.

So as I recall I unbolted it from the regulator and reassembled the glass channel (with the old rubber edge) to the window OUTSIDE of the door. Then dropped it in, and rebolted it to teh regulator. I do recall it was not easy to get that back on the glass - it was TIGHT. Yet after a while it has pulled out again when lowering the window... So either the rubber piece is not doing it's job and/or there is too much friction when traveling downward.

It's straightforward to pull the door glass and using soapy water (tip from the FSM) I can get the glass back into it's channel I'm sure. Unfortunately I do not have a way to confirm the part # for the rubber strip - I have to make 2 trips to the dealer (hour drive each way) to prepay, wait for the order and then pick it up and hope it's the right part#. If anyone can confirm the part# that would be great. Otherwise I'll have to roll the die.

Thanks for the feedback and FSM!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:34 AM

UPDATE: I called a dealership in another direction. This parts guy seemed much more familiar with the piece and was glad to order it without prepaying (thus saving me 1 trip). He immediately described the rubber strip as a "Filler" and offered this part# 69971-89103. I'll have it in a couple weeks - just $10.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
glad to have been able to point you to a good resource...and nice job using that resource to fix your problem"bigok: