86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dont know what to do next...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont know what to do next...

i have a 92 4runner and i was wondering what i should get. i am starting to get into the offroading seen, so i am kinda a noob. i just ordered the OME 901 hd coils to get rid of the butt sag. anything?

thanks
andy
Old 01-28-2008, 12:03 PM

where are you from? what kind of wheeling do you want to do?

armor & lockers are always nice.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
armor up, then if you find yourself getting in situations where your current state of modifications won't let you get any further, maybe a winch. If you don't feel you'll need a winch, jump up a tire size or two, regear and lockers.

I only put lockers towards the end thinking $$$ and only pulling the diffs 1x instead of possibly 2, 1 for lockers and 2 for later regearing.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM

Armor up first, then lockers; if you get yourself into a situation with the lockers where you need more, then get a winch.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:55 PM

Screw armor. If you want to really offroad, you're going to gets dents and scratches. Get jacked, buy tires and wheels to make you more able, a winch for when you get stuck by yourself (which you WILL do eventually considering you're new to this sort), then, after you reach the limits of your rigs ablilty, get lockers and push those limits some more. After you get some guts and some experience, THEN you will find an actual need for armor.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:05 PM

I'd go rear locker, then BJ spacers to relax the front torsion bars. That alone with a decent set of tires will get you a lot of places.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Lift it and then throw some lockers in it!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM

a new stereo and big speakers.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
lots of stickers. Especially from 4x4 companies that you haven't purchased anything from.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM

YEAH! And some REALLY REALLY cool clear tailights and and SHINY CHROME rims!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Yodaforce
Screw armor. If you want to really offroad, you're going to gets dents and scratches. Get jacked, buy tires and wheels to make you more able, a winch for when you get stuck by yourself (which you WILL do eventually considering you're new to this sort), then, after you reach the limits of your rigs ablilty, get lockers and push those limits some more. After you get some guts and some experience, THEN you will find an actual need for armor.
worst advice ive possibly ever seen. you wont be wheeling if youre truck doesnt run. or if you rip your undercarriage to shreds. i wasnt saying put an exo cage on your truck, armor means skids, sliders, skids, skids, skids, skids. since you are a newbie, how bout this advice, DONT GO WHEELING ALONE. unless you are super prepared and built, i wouldnt go alone. yeah there is always the exception to the rule, but even flat tires on an "easy" trail can leave people stranded. a winch will pull you out just to learn that a rock in the mud hole shredded your rear diff and now you have to remove the driveshaft and get out of that trail in front wheel drive. good luck!!
Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

the question is, what kind of LOOK/Performance do you want? There are ENDLESS ways to prepare for trails cause each presents its own challenges.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by hanksyota
worst advice ive possibly ever seen. you wont be wheeling if youre truck doesnt run. or if you rip your undercarriage to shreds. i wasnt saying put an exo cage on your truck, armor means skids, sliders, skids, skids, skids, skids. since you are a newbie, how bout this advice, DONT GO WHEELING ALONE. unless you are super prepared and built, i wouldnt go alone. yeah there is always the exception to the rule, but even flat tires on an "easy" trail can leave people stranded. a winch will pull you out just to learn that a rock in the mud hole shredded your rear diff and now you have to remove the driveshaft and get out of that trail in front wheel drive. good luck!!

No armor = busted parts that didn't have to be busted.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Yodaforce
Do it. We ain't racing or extreme rockcrawling.

Have fun, learn, going with someone is great. Just sometimes it ain't possible. Always carry gear if you do get stuck: ie; food, water, clothing for weather. Here if you leave you rig in the woods it may be stripped when you come back. Recovery gear is good to have sometimes easier to find assistance than gear to get you out, shovel. I could go on and on.

Have fun, be safe, be trail friendly, and learn.

Welcome.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by hanksyota
X2...
Old 01-28-2008, 04:18 PM

lol well thanks guys. i am not all for the sticker part... i think i am goign to go ahaead and get the armor first then some lockers. thanks for all of your help.

andy
Old 01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
For armor, get a nice rear bumper, sliders and some heavy duty skids to replace the stock ones. I can bend my stock t-case skidplate by hand!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM

dont forget your basic gear such as a shovel, recovery rope, when you get sliders get a highlift to go with them, and tools to do basic repairs on the trail.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The question of to armor or not really depends on where he's wheeling...

If on the rocks sure, armor is definitely needed. But if he's here in Florida with lots of sugar sand and mud armor is a waste of money. For me lift, tires and lockers are just about all that's needed at least for a few years.

You guys saying each others advice sucks just aren't considering the different wheeling around the country.

As for the stereo and stickers comments.... Rock on...
Old 01-29-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
The question of to armor or not really depends on where he's wheeling...

If on the rocks sure, armor is definitely needed. But if he's here in Florida with lots of sugar sand and mud armor is a waste of money. For me lift, tires and lockers are just about all that's needed at least for a few years.

You guys saying each others advice sucks just aren't considering the different wheeling around the country.

As for the stereo and stickers comments.... Rock on...
In a way that's true, but it's also a limiting factor. You can't wheel outside of your known area. Besides, armor is good for more than just rocks....it works on stumps & large critters too!

Last edited by Brenjen; 01-29-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Dont know what to do next...