Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Does not idle when warm did everything I could think of and followed previous posts

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does not idle when warm did everything I could think of and followed previous posts

My Truck a 1992 pick-up with 22re. The truck initially started having problems after driving for an hour at 65 mph when I came to a stop my truck immediately died so I got online to do some research on this problem and found out most of it is related to the IACV so I removed the throttle body to clean the IACV. I put the Throttle body together and back in the truck and worked perfectly fine for 2 weeks, Then the same problem along with a strange clicking noise coming from the right side of the inside of the truck when I release the throttle started happening it sounds like a relay clicking also the cold start up Idle rpm is at 1000rpm and does not idle after warming up. Where as before the problem it was 1500rpm

Last edited by 92pickupboss; 01-24-2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 AM

This truck is my daily driver I need help!! having no Idle is extremely annoying
Old 01-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Could be the TPS, but just start at the air cleaner box and work your way to the throttle body doing the FSM tests.

Also if you needed to clean the IACV odds are your PAIR is malfunctioning and sucking exhaust. You should be able to eat off the throttle plate it's behind the filter...
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Could be the TPS, but just start at the air cleaner box and work your way to the throttle body doing the FSM tests.

Also if you needed to clean the IACV odds are your PAIR is malfunctioning and sucking exhaust. You should be able to eat off the throttle plate it's behind the filter...
Where can I find a detailed explanation of the FSM tests that I need to preform. I am not familiar with the PAIR and I didnt quit understand what you wanted me to do with the throttle plate when I cleaned the IACV I also cleaned the throttle body.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 92pickupboss
Where can I find a detailed explanation of the FSM tests that I need to preform. I am not familiar with the PAIR and I didnt quit understand what you wanted me to do with the throttle plate when I cleaned the IACV I also cleaned the throttle body.
Clean the IACV again, it shouldn't get dirty, you didn't fix what caused it to get dirty (PAIR, one way valves). Basicly what I think is going on is when the idle air control valve closes after warm up it's sucking down exhaust thru a leak in the PAIR.And so it chokes/dies/stalls. A Stuck open EGR valve wouldn't help either, but it's not going to get the throttle body/plate and IACV dirty.

FSM Index, Engine section, intake is covered in "MFI system" sub-section, PAIR is part of the "Emissions system" subsection.

The MFI description has a diagram you can follow to aquaint yourself with your intake, start at the "Volume air flow meter" and stop at the intake valve. Honestly it only looks like a lot of stuff
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Clean the IACV again, it shouldn't get dirty, you didn't fix what caused it to get dirty (PAIR, one way valves). Basicly what I think is going on is when the idle air control valve closes after warm up it's sucking down exhaust thru a leak in the PAIR.And so it chokes/dies/stalls. A Stuck open EGR valve wouldn't help either, but it's not going to get the throttle body/plate and IACV dirty.

FSM Index, Engine section, intake is covered in "MFI system" sub-section, PAIR is part of the "Emissions system" subsection.

The MFI description has a diagram you can follow to aquaint yourself with your intake, start at the "Volume air flow meter" and stop at the intake valve. Honestly it only looks like a lot of stuff
So I finished inspecting the VAF meter and it is good I have moved on to the throttle body and noticed that there is something there Called a Dash Pot or DP mine has no vacuum line to it Identical to the first Illustration, I took a look at mine and it is completely missing the rubber boot that goes around the spring is that a potential issue if so where can I find a new one ?