Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Does my 4Runner need mudflaps in AZ?

Old 07-23-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does my 4Runner need mudflaps in AZ?

So a while back I got pulled over for not having mudflaps on my 1990 Toyota 4Runner, which is lifted 4 inches, has 33x12.50 tires, and has the rear bumper removed. The officer gave me a fix-it ticket. I talked to other people, however, who said that the 4Runner is classified as a station wagon and therefore does not need mudflaps, and any citation I receive for it will be thrown out in court because of that. I do not want to put mud flaps on if I don't need to. Does anyone know for sure whether or not I am required by law to have them?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
I heard once that the only vehicles that don't have to run mudflaps in AZ were Jeeps. You'd have to look up the laws in that state. I looked up CO lift laws once and was really surprised at what I found(especially vs. VA lift laws). Mud flaps and such should be in the same area.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:04 PM

If you have oversized tires and your lifted then yea, you have to have them. It's the same in alot of states.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:37 PM

do you know if there needed front and rear? or just rear?

i was thinking about taking mine off...but dont feel like being hasseld by the cops really...
Old 07-23-2007, 03:47 PM

thats lame. i knew nothing about mudflap laws. i assume we dont have anything like it in fl though. blah.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have any... and haven't been hassled yet. Maybe it's just a matter of time. I think AZ mudflap laws are based on a percent of coverage, not type of vehicle... but I am not sure. I know Westy runs a flatbed with zero fenders around town and has yet to have the Police suggest a change.

Then again, I generally have to worry more about being pulled over because my license plate isn't readable half the time.

Can't imagine what Toyota was thinking putting the plate back there.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:08 PM

From what I was told "when I was getting hassled" it's the rear. They actually told me that if your tires stick out too far also, your required to have flares. But I personally think that was them just being anal. I got a fix it ticket, no flaps/ no front plate/ Kc's with no covers/and apparently my rear license plate light wasn't bright enough for their liking. This was years ago in San Diego. I think it's all up to the local badge wearing folks. I know a ton of places where they run friggen unlimiteds or trophy trucks on the street and nobody hassles them.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:13 PM

1st i've herd'a such. obviously the police dont have anything better to do. go bust some druggies or something but get off the people who are law abiding citizens.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I think the post above stating that the 4Runner is classifed as a Station Wagon deems that it does not require mudflaps. Read On.

Source <click here
AZ state law:

28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards

A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.

B. The splash guards:

1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.

2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.

3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.

4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.

5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.

6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.

C. This section does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's rating of three-quarter ton or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.

3. A single axle trailer with fenders wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground.

And the next logical question is: What is the definition of "truck"?

328-601 Definitions:

30. "Truck" means a motor vehicle that is designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.

Last edited by toy_tek; 07-23-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, the 4Runner is classified (at least later model Gen II's) as "4 Dr SW" (4 door station wagon), and, as such, is NOT required to have mud flaps.
Challenge the ticket.

Fred
Old 07-23-2007, 05:00 PM

Who says it's a station wagon though? Anybody I ask is going to say it's an SUV, + I haven't seen any station wagons around here with 33's on it lately. There's a couple towns down south though.........LOL
Old 07-23-2007, 05:03 PM

They been having this argument in Washington, between truck/suv/or car "because of registration costs being higher on trucks". I've seen a thread on this a few months ago. I would challenge it. It's their mistake that's the loop hole if their calling it a station wagon.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:22 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by frodin1
Who says it's a station wagon though? Anybody I ask is going to say it's an SUV, + I haven't seen any station wagons around here with 33's on it lately. There's a couple towns down south though.........LOL
Well thats the thing - you can't ask just "anybody". You need to reference the governing law. In AZ, the registration says SW next to Vehicle Type. As I posted earlier, a "truck" is defined as a vehicle "primarily designed to transport property". Not People. Loop hole = good for us.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 PM

im surprised that i havent gotton a ticket. ive got 35 12.50 and stock flaps but also i dont get looked at alot from cops. fergeson just go buy some semi flapf they wont be able to say nothin about the flaps than.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:52 PM

whats the point of this law? i live in VA and have never heard such a thing! here its tires sticking out to far and being to tall
Old 07-23-2007, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

When I lived in AZ I thought I heard it was anytime you lifted above normal stance. But I guess they only care if its a truck???

Originally Posted by MUDN4R
whats the point of this law? i live in VA and have never heard such a thing! here its tires sticking out to far and being to tall
Think about the honda civic you pull out in front of after you hit up a muddy trail. Now think about the crack you just put in their windshield because you didnt have mudflaps on your lifted truck. Thats the reason for the law. To prevent damage to other vehicles when someone lifts their truck and/or gets bigger tires.

Last edited by Elkaholic; 07-23-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the responses, good to know I don't need to worry about installing mudflaps. It seems pretty unlikely I will get pulled over for it again, the police down here usually have better things to do, but it's good to know there is no chance of me having to pay a fine if it does happen again. My 4Runner doesn't look much like a "station wagon" to me, but hey, I can't complain.