86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Disengaging the front differential.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disengaging the front differential.

Hi there all. Its been a while since I've posted on here but I have been busy. My 92 Toyota diesel 4x4 runs now . It sure sounds nice with the turbo whistle. But I have one problem. The transfer case is put in 4wd by an electric motor on the back ( I know I need to get rid of it and put a regular tcase in but it will come in time) and I do not have the 4wd computer for the diesel motor. It is an entirely different setup than our trucks J pattern. You push it forwards for low and pull back for high. Neutral is in the middle and for 4wd there is a button you push on the side. Right now for some reason my front ADD diff is engaged and I would like to disengage it manually so that I can drive the truck around until I get the 4wd computer. I have heard of people permanantly engaging it with manual locking hubs but those will come in time as well. I just need the front ds not to turn for the time being. If anyone could give me some help I would really appreciate it. Also if anyone has questions about the diesel motor feel free to ask.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:35 AM

Well can't read half of your post but I get what you said about the ds. I know I can pull it off and it will be done but its PITA on this truck. The exhaust comes down from the passenger side on a Toyota diesel and crosses over under the ds and you pretty much gotta take that down pipe from the turbo off to get the ds off. I just thought that you could put a bit of vacuum on one of the line maybe and it would pull out.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 82yota
Well can't read half of your post but I get what you said about the ds. I know I can pull it off and it will be done but its PITA on this truck. The exhaust comes down from the passenger side on a Toyota diesel and crosses over under the ds and you pretty much gotta take that down pipe from the turbo off to get the ds off. I just thought that you could put a bit of vacuum on one of the line maybe and it would pull out.
Get a set of manual hubs and don't worry about it any more.

Fred
Old 10-14-2007, 07:00 AM

I plan to do that in the future but I don't have a set right now. And we don't have junkyards around here with yotas in them. I'm just looking to see if maybe I can just put some vacuum on a line move it and maybe it will come out?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Might try switching (reversing) the vac lines going to the ADD actuator, or might try just removing the vac line that pulls the ADD into locked position for now. Just be sure and plug the line ends so you don't have a vac leak or get dirt in there.

Here's a thread on locking the ADD into 4wd, you could maybe gain some insight from that:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/
Old 10-14-2007, 07:09 PM

Well I was able to get it unlocked. There is no vacuum hooked to it yet as I have not gotten around it to. I can't seem to find a 4wd computer for it. But what I did was got my dad to drive it very slowly as I sucked on the vacuum lines and on the second one I tried it came out. So I guess if you have 2 people you don't need a computer to do the thinking for you. Thanks for the replies. This week I'm going to see if I can setup something to put vacuum to them. I'll have to weld up some sort of fitting.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have the same ADD system as I do, you should have two vacuum lines running to the ADD actuator by the front diff. The vacuum line on the driver's side pulls the sleeve off and "unlocks" your drivetrain. The vacuum line on the passenger side pulls it into place and locks it. So, what you need to do is figure out how to switch the VSVs manually or put on manual hubs and attach a vacuum line to the passenger side, cap the driver's side hose, and you're good to go.