Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Diff Installation time/cost

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff Installation time/cost

Hey guys, I'm planning to put a TrueTrac in the back of my 4Runner this summer. I'm a decent shadetree and had contemplated getting a Harbor Freight press and doing it myself. Better judgment prevailed and I've decided it's a job best left to a pro.

How much should I budget for an install? I was thinking 3 to 4 hours seemed like a nice conservative figure - equaling out somewhere in the $300 range. But then looking around I've seen built third members with open gears for like $900 plus core! So maybe my time assumption was wrong?

Anyway, how long should it take a pro if he can get it in 2 or 3 tries?

Also, I live in Lakewood, Colorado. Any recommendations on a shop? My normal shop for crap I don't feel like doing myself is HiTech Import - I like them a lot but they're not a dedicated 4x4 shop at all and might not have a lot of experience doing this sort of job.

And please, no "get a locker" replies - I have thought this out completely and can give you a long list of why I'm dropping LSD if you want it......

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited by GV27; 03-07-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Even though not local... this guy really knows his stuff in my opinion. Plus he enjoys what he does and takes pride in his work. Two traits you definitely want in a guy setting up your 3rd. His name is Ken.

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

He had four or five 3rds sitting in his shop that had been shipped to him. Not sure what his turn around is. He is almost exclusively a Toyota guy, which is even better for us Toyota guys.

I have often thought about learning how to do the setup myself. Although I don't feel it's impossible, after spending the day with Ken and watching him set up my 3rd with an ARB I see there are many "tricks" and techniques that would take time to master. As well as many small mistakes that could lead to disaster and a long walk home from the trail.

He's probably be happy to help with your LSD/ locker decision with an experienced opinion, but it sounds like you've got that part figured out already.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:52 AM

Actually, that's something I was going to ask about. Zuk DOES do setups for people, huh? I saw somebody talking about one from him but his site doesn't say anything (that I can see) about actually performing service.

What does he charge, ballpark? And will he do a core exchange, per chance? I guess I need to call him but I'm lazy......
Old 03-07-2007, 12:41 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I occasionally do a gear install here and there. Check your pm. ZUK
Old 03-07-2007, 01:05 PM

PM read, guess I've figured out who's gonna do my TT install!

Thanks ZUK!

C