Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Diesel" / rattle sound at Idle 22RE (Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Diesel" / rattle sound at Idle 22RE (Searched)

I have been reading through many posts about valve clatter, valve adjustment and timing chain noise. I am still not certin what is causing my noise on my 93 22RE.

At Idle I heard a distinct rattle/diesel type noise. Now if the truck idles and warms up , the sound goes away.... UNTILL, I drive or rev the engine, the rattle comes back momentarily. Then it dies away again. If the engine is allowed to idle (at operating temp) for anywhere from 30 sec to one minute the rattle dies away. (It almost sounds like loud pinging) Is it possible to ping at idle?

Here is the back ground on the motor

93 22RE 88,xxx original miles,

Timing chain was replaced by previous owner, (a member of this forum as well) The P.O. stated that he used the metal guides as replacements for the plastic guides. (maybe this is the noise?)
The truck has been run on Syn oil since day one. The valves were recently adjusted by the P.O. I have not checked the clearances yet, but I have a hunch this noise is Timing chain related...

Maybe its the valves? I dunno... the truck only gets about 14-15.5 MPG
running 31x10.50 Mud Tires. I hear of other 22RE members running 31's and getting better gas mileage. Is this rattle an indication that I should at least check the valve adjustments?

Any advice is appreciated. If needed I can post a clip of the sound when I get back from Vacation.

Jake
Old 12-18-2005, 12:08 PM

i had a similar problem, it was my timing chain hiting agains the cover. The chain seems to hold up but the guide suck (plastic ones). I would do a valve adjustment and while the valve cover is off, check for the guides to see if they are in tact
Old 12-18-2005, 01:05 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummmm ... not to be harsh, but have you done something as simple as checking the timing?

My '89 22R/4 speed got 20 MPG with 31x10.50, so I would agree your mileage is low (another indication of bad timing)
Old 12-18-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Ummmm ... not to be harsh, but have you done something as simple as checking the timing?

My '89 22R/4 speed got 20 MPG with 31x10.50, so I would agree your mileage is low (another indication of bad timing)
TC,
thats actually a good idea..... I will check the timing as my next step..

geez.. why didn't I think of that? :pat:
Old 12-18-2005, 05:32 PM

I'd say do the mechanic's stethoscope gag and check to see which cylinder the noise is coming from. I'm going to guess #4. Pull the plug on that cylinder, start the engine and see if the noise is there at start or any RPM. Don't let this go on very long since you will be dumping unburned gas into the motor and exhaust.
I'm placing bets on classic wrist pin/piston slap and that you hear the noise at start and around 2500-3000 RPM.
Maybe you'll get lucky and they just overtightened the valve cover and the rockers are hitting it, but that sound should stay constant with RPM.
This is just a guess coming from a guy with a 1993 4Runner, 22re with a motor that sounds like a diesel when it starts, quiets down some when warm, then rattles at 2500-3000 RPM...
Old 12-19-2005, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
I'd say do the mechanic's stethoscope gag and check to see which cylinder the noise is coming from. I'm going to guess #4. Pull the plug on that cylinder, start the engine and see if the noise is there at start or any RPM. Don't let this go on very long since you will be dumping unburned gas into the motor and exhaust.
I'm placing bets on classic wrist pin/piston slap and that you hear the noise at start and around 2500-3000 RPM.
Maybe you'll get lucky and they just overtightened the valve cover and the rockers are hitting it, but that sound should stay constant with RPM.
This is just a guess coming from a guy with a 1993 4Runner, 22re with a motor that sounds like a diesel when it starts, quiets down some when warm, then rattles at 2500-3000 RPM...
how long has your 22RE been doing this? How many miles are on your motor?
Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My waterpump on my Jeep Grand Cherokee sounded like this. I thought it was the idler pulley, but it was a shot bearing on the waterpump.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Mine has 119k on it. Not sure how long it has been doing it since I've only owned it for a year and half (had that noise the whole time). Piston slap is the bane of the short skirted pistons on the 22r motors and probably a tie for second or third in the heirarchy of problems: headgaskets, timing chain/piston slap.
The good thing about it is that when you hear it, you know you're driving a Toyota anyway ;>)
Old 12-20-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the rattle at idle, under load, and momentarily when the throttle kicks down is pretty characteristic of the timing chain rubbing against the cover.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Is the chain rubbing a problem? Is this just a Toyota thing that I should learn to live with? Will this make the timing chain wear out prematurely?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:30 PM

what it'll eventually do is eat a hole through the water jacket right behind the water pump impeller. it'll give you a symptom similar to a blown head gasket -- coolant in your oil(BAD!).

the fix is to pull the timing cover and replace the timing set, doesn't hurt to get a kit with a steel driver's side timing guide either.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:37 PM

It supposedly has a new timing set installed with the metal backing in place of the the plastic ones..... should i just let it rattle?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:38 PM

i'd at least pull the valve cover off and take a look to make sure the guides are intact. if the chain has a lot of slop in it, i'd be a little suspicious of the tensioner.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:32 AM

so lets say the tensioner is shot... how much of a project is that?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
what it'll eventually do is eat a hole through the water jacket right behind the water pump impeller. it'll give you a symptom similar to a blown head gasket -- coolant in your oil(BAD!).

the fix is to pull the timing cover and replace the timing set, doesn't hurt to get a kit with a steel driver's side timing guide either.
tell me more about these similar symptoms. I am suspecting HG failure on my 89 22re...how can you tell it's HG vs. this wearing out of the timing cover? Would this timing cover failure also cause a mysterious coolant leak?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:34 AM

easy -- pull the valve cover, grab a flashlight and look down the right side of the hole that the timing chain is in. you should see a guide rail between the chain and the timing cover. if there is nothing there, or a broken guide, you will most likely see a pair of grooves in the cover from where the chain is wearing.

replacing a tensioner is about the same job as doing the t-chain. you still have to pull the timing cover. i've heard that if one puts too much torque on the tensioner bolts, it won't work properly. i think the recommended torque is only about 10lbs -- just loctite them in there.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM

my 93 runner also makes a diesel sound at idle but it only does it when its how, but i am almost certain that it is my timing chain. It was replaced by the previous owner less then a year ago but i guessed they screwed something up, and im just waiting on my trustworthy mech to get some time. Does anyone know how long you can go like this(I will get it fixed ASAP just curious) and if you remove the valve you have to replace some type of gasket correct?
Old 12-23-2005, 06:42 PM

if the timing chain gets off the tracks, you will most likey have engine damage

I had the timing chain on my 22re got loose and jumped the pulley.
The 22re is an INTERFERENCE engine.
The result was bent valves, it was not cheap to fix.

I say if you have a noisy engine you need to get it
fixed as soon as possible.

I did not know why my engine was noisy at startup/low idle
until it was to late.

To bad for me :pat:
Old 12-24-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Boaz
At Idle I heard a distinct rattle/diesel type noise. Now if the truck idles and warms up , the sound goes away.... UNTILL, I drive or rev the engine, the rattle comes back momentarily. Then it dies away again. If the engine is allowed to idle (at operating temp) for anywhere from 30 sec to one minute the rattle dies away. (It almost sounds like loud pinging) Is it possible to ping at idle?
my truck does the SAME EXACT THING!!! except i have a 3.0 V6 in a 94 4 runner. Im an accomplished mechanic, and engineer and ive worked on many cars, and to be perfectly honest, i took 15 mins to try and figure out what it was and couldnt, so i gave up

the truck runs great, gets good mileage, and im just waiting for the motor to let go so i have an excuse to drop in a 3.4

sorry i cant shed any more light on it, but my truck has a timing belt, so i dont think it is your timing chain...
Old 12-26-2005, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by full-race geoff
my truck does the SAME EXACT THING!!! except i have a 3.0 V6 in a 94 4 runner. Im an accomplished mechanic, and engineer and ive worked on many cars, and to be perfectly honest, i took 15 mins to try and figure out what it was and couldnt, so i gave up

the truck runs great, gets good mileage, and im just waiting for the motor to let go so i have an excuse to drop in a 3.4

sorry i cant shed any more light on it, but my truck has a timing belt, so i dont think it is your timing chain...

What? full race geoff here on yota tech? what next sick ass manifold for the 22re? Full race SAS? damb that would be the best ลลลล bottom line

Full race quality

Quick Reply: "Diesel" / rattle sound at Idle 22RE (Searched)