Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Diesel conversion underway

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nah, the only welding is to the motor mounts for the engine only. The welds are approx 1" in length total on each side of the mount. I wouldnt worry about that at all.The frame for the half cut isnt used at all. We take the mounts off of it and scrap it.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselyota
In Japan, people tend to hang onto them alot longer so they are higher mileage half cuts.
unless they are super rich, they will not hang onto them past 10 years.

also in reference to legality, if the engine was never sold in the us, it is specificaly illegal to swap, and per texas, no gas to diesal conversions and vice versa.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:37 AM

You cannot "legally" swap in an older gasoline engine into a newer vehicle (ie. a ford 302 carbureted v8 into a 94 toyota 4x4). This is for emissions reasons. Because you are technically circumventing the emissions controls originally placed on the vehicle and creating a more polluting vehicle. The law states that if you replace the engine of the vehicle (regardless of origin) it must be able to conform to local and state emissions regulations. Since diesels have no emissions control devices (or smog controls other than egr systems) a diesel swap is completely legal. For the same reason you cannot cut your catalytic converter. Any tampering with a vehicle's emissions control devices is illegal. Anyone seriously considering a diesel swap or any engine swap, I would double check the local regulations. I know for certain that a diesel swap is entirely legal even in the super-strict state of California but there may be some state I have overlooked.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:07 AM

Luckily if you live in Kansas, we don't have vehicle inspections. (red neck accent--> "we can do anything we wont to!"
Old 02-06-2006, 06:50 PM

what type of t-case comes with the half-cut: gear or chain?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:52 PM

what type of t-case comes with the half-cut: gear or chain? and does anyone know of a company that makes driveline parking brakes? my t-case is the chain drive and all of the co.'s i've looked at are for the gear drive.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:06 PM

200 hp/300 tq for a chipped engine....can the trans. and diffs hold up to that power?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:18 PM

Dont know really! Never driven one! The australians are all over 'em though. Anyone wanna see my engine running before they cut it?
http://media.putfile.com/Diesel-Half-Cut

I hope that worked...
Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toyo4x4
200 hp/300 tq for a chipped engine....can the trans. and diffs hold up to that power?
They still offer brand new 1KZ-TEs in 2000+ hiluxes. They are the same transmissions we have over here in the states.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Yep. and the new D-4D direct injection diesels have yet to make it stateside but man what an engine!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Contributing Member

I wish we would get D-4Ds stateside...

I wish we would get any non-Hino diesels stateside.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Banned

Hi DieselYota,

Im curious, do you guys do any other conversions for 4 runners? Like the 3.0 to 3.4 swap? or 3.0 to V8?

Just wondering. Im getting real tired of my 3.0, Ive had this truck for almost a year and still cant seem to get it running right.

thanks
Old 02-07-2006, 06:27 AM

No, we're not real fond of gassers around here
Old 02-08-2006, 04:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi dudes,
Being in Australia it's interesting to read how you guys are keen on the 1kzte from the land of the rising sun.. I didn't realise diesel motors are such a scarce thing Stateside as I see all the banks/cummings diesel adds in your mags all the time. Don't you get small diesels ?

Funny enough I have the exact chipped engine you guys are talking about - and its in a "grey" imported vehicle from Japan. It's also been intercooled. Definitely stick with the auto as once the turbo spools up it reminds me of a two stroke motorcross bike in the powerband with the chip turned on. I so love it when you take off from a set of lights and cream everything beside you. Everyone is so use to the normally aspirated diesels which are slow .. they don't know what hit em. Tweaked, this motor shines.

The pro's: Great mileage, has a crapload of torque without having to rev the motor to get it (most of my power is delived at 2,300 rpm), little maintenance required other than regular oil changes and filters. Its a top motor for upping the specs to deliver a really respectable output hence chips and intercoolers are popular aftermarket options.
The turbo breathes the life into these motors.. normally aspirated diesels are simply slow as a wet week. What I like about it the most is that it doesn't have good days or bad days - performance is a real constant and doesn't vary.

The cons: Alloy head is very susceptible to cracking if the motor runs out of water or cooling system is not up to spec. Japanese turn over cars quickly so maintenance is not high on their agenda. Diesels can dump alot of smoke out the exhaust if not tuned correctly. The motors are heavy. They are expensive to rebuild, although the normal lifespan is seriously much more than a petrol. You need serious battery power to crank the motors to start, particularly in a cold climate as the instant glow plugs draw some serious amps. The 4 cylinders don't make for a good towing vehicle - once bogged down with additional weight they don't perform as well as their petrol counterpart. Engines are naturally a little noisier than the gasoline motors. Diesel is common here in all fuel stations but possibly no so in the US? And probably my biggest concern would be finding someone to work on the vehicle over there who knows what they are doing. Guys here sometimes struggle as EFI diesels are relatively new to our shores.

Be aware this motor was released in Japan in 1994 for domestic consumption only. 8 years later the same motor was released in Australia as their "New Motor" in the Prado (AKA a vehicle between a 4runner & Landcruiser) with the addition of an intercooler. Latest version of this motor has changed little - it now has common rail injection for improved efficiency.

Don't get me wrong its a good motor, but most people will fit a common powerful 3.4 litre V6 (not a toyota engine) after their diesels die as these motors are much more expensive to rebuild than their fuel equivelant. And the 3.4Lv6 certainly puts out more horespower. Good thing is the transmissions and running gear on the Toyotas hold up no matter what you throw into it.

Sorry rambling on but there's my 2 bobs worth !

Last edited by Darrie; 02-08-2006 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Battery comment added
Old 02-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Banned

Wow, thanks for the info!
YEah for some reason stateside only allowed us the 22re and the horrible 3.0.

Diesels in cars and SUV's are extremely rare here in the US. Why I do not know. My only guess is that the oil companies here didnt like the high MPG's and the auto industry didnt like the long life spans. Hopefully that will all change though since diesel ultimately is a stronger, more fuel efficient motor, especially with the introduction of bio-diesel.

When my 3.0 blows I am seriously going to consider this diesel conversion.

Thanks again for your info brother.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by irott
I wish we would get D-4Ds stateside...

I wish we would get any non-Hino diesels stateside.
I believe that D-4D are not delivered to the USA because your diesel is not suitable(high on sulphur) for these modern common-rail motors, and thy would get clogged very fast.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

That is changing either this year or next because of federal regulations.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

It seems like the L series Diesel engines are more reliable than the the 1KZ. But since the 1HD-FT and 1KD-FTV and all the other diesels are too new to get affordably the KZ still seems like a good option for those who want that awesome toyota diesel power.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Nah what killed the small diesel in NA was a really couple of really crappy motors from GM in the early 80s. They took a small gas 4cyl. and tried to "dieselize' it. The block could'nt handle it. They blew-up a lot. smoked like crazy a, and could'nt make power. They put the motor in the chevette I believe. That and the small market caused a lot of other builders to not bother with mods needed to pass emissions. Toyota offered the 2.0 4 diesel here until 1986 with a solid beam front axle, but the withdrew it for 1987. I asked the dealer at the time and he said that the emissions regs had changed and yota did'nt want to spend the money because the market was too small. aviator
Old 02-09-2006, 04:03 PM

they tried to do that desiel conversion in 6.2 gas engines in suburbans too, I think. They had the same problem, I wounder if a 22re could handle a deisel conversion, just in terms of heat and stress

Quick Reply: Diesel conversion underway