86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DENSO Cap and Rotor - WTFrench cheese?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DENSO Cap and Rotor - WTFrench cheese?

Denso Distributor Cap and Rotor - Where To Find?
1994 - V6 auto T4R

Trying to replace my cap and rotor, and numerous threads encourage doing so with the OEM parts...which makes perfect sense. The trouble is that I cannot find the Denso cap or rotor anywhere. Oreilly, Advance, Autozone, even Rock Auto do not have the parts.

It seems either I'm mistaken that this is the OEM brand for those parts or that it's simply not made by Denso anymore (even Denso's site doesn't list it for the 3.0!). I spent the past couple hours going through threads and cant find anything to help me further so I thought I'd ask.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I only use oem parts and usually buy from toyotapartscenter.net. Ive had better luck talking to Jim there then anyone else. They are there close to you.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Apparently the OEM is now YEC(Yamaguchi Electric Industries Co.). This is obviously a very recent change.

See this post: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../#post51981747

You might get lucky at a stealership, or online OEM parts distributor, selling new old stock. If so, those parts would be DENSO.

Please don't say "T4R", we hate that. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and insight, I'll see what I can find. But what's the problem with using T4R abbreviation, it's quicker than typing 4Runner? Animosity towards another site?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dylan86
But what's the problem with using T4R abbreviation, it's quicker than typing 4Runner? Animosity towards another site?
The first time I seen it used was here. At the time I wasn't even aware of the other site. So it's not a rivalry thing. I have no animosity towards any other websites. Specifically no other Toyota based websites. More power to all of them.

So what's my problem with it then? Simple. There's no such thing as a 4Runner not made by Toyota. So the T is majorly retarded. I would find Toyota 4R, or just 4R, to be 1000x less offensive. Though any such abbreviations are still disrespectful of the proper name of the vehicle, and/or the proper name of the manufacturer. Any abbreviation of a proper name is lame. I don't care who/what/where/why.

Let me give you an example where such an abbreviation would be acceptable. For instance, I own an 88 Toyota PU. That works because I didn't hack the name of the vehicle or the manufacturer to bits. PU is not a proper name. A pickup is a type of truck. Now look at this. I own an 88 TPU. See how stupid that looks/sounds? And all I did there was disrespect the manufacturer.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-28-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
The first time I seen it used was here. At the time I wasn't even aware of the other site. So it's not a rivalry thing. I have no animosity towards any other websites. Specifically no other Toyota based websites. More power to all of them.

So what's my problem with it then? Simple. There's no such thing as a 4Runner not made by Toyota. So the T is majorly retarded. I would find Toyota 4R, or just 4R, to be 1000x less offensive. Though any such abbreviations are still disrespectful of the proper name of the vehicle, and/or the proper name of the manufacturer. Any abbreviation of a proper name is lame. I don't care who/what/where/why.

Let me give you an example where such an abbreviation would be acceptable. For instance, I own an 88 Toyota PU. That works because I didn't hack the name of the vehicle or the manufacturer to bits. PU is not a proper name. A pickup is a type of truck. Now look at this. I own an 88 TPU. See how stupid that looks/sounds? And all I did there was disrespect the manufacturer.
I must say MH, this is your best post yet!
Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM

Yeah, I guess I don't have such strong feelings on something so simple. I always refer to my vehicle as a Toyota 4Runner to friends rather than just saying 4Runner. So this would be why I continue to use T4R. Plus, while it doesn't apply in text, when I just say 4Runner to people they often think I'm saying 'foreigner', which is true since these are Japanese, but again confusing on it's own.

Moreover, what commercially made trucks are not pickups? That would seem to be implied as well...unless I'm not aware of these other truck types/categories people are purchasing from.

Additionally, abbreviating proper names is fine. People do it all the time with U.S.A. ...

But thanks for explaining your perspective.

Last edited by Dylan86; 08-28-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Yes, I was exaggerating to make a point. I don't really care if your name is Orenthal James and you'd rather be called O.J.. That's fine.

T4R just doesn't look or sound correct. Outside of our weird little online world of hardcore Toyota 4WD freaks, it makes no sense at all. Unless you're one of us, you don't have a clue what that term refers to. Because...

In the real world, NOBODY calls their Toyota 4Runner a T4R!!!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:44 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mispost.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 AM

yotashop.com has the denso part I think. That's where I got my distributor cap and rotor.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:41 AM

Yeah man, well considering the internet isn't the real world (thank goodness) I'll continue using my abbreviation. I really, truly hope you don't mind.

And I checked a local Toyota Parts dealer. He said he wasn't sure of the brand for certain, but believes Denso may have been replaced as the OEM provider (I didn't have my VIN handy for him to verify). Either way, they've got what I need. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dylan86
...Plus, while it doesn't apply in text, when I just say 4Runner to people they often think I'm saying 'foreigner'...
got good laugh from that one, thanks for that!!
i know precisely what you mean.

'in' the circle, i call mine a pickup. outside its a 1994 toyota pickup.

- i too have had luck with tpc, or toyotapartscenter
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Redeyejedi

'in' the circle, i call mine a pickup. outside its a 1994 toyota pickup.
Out of the circle, I just tell people its a Hilux... I get tired of having to explain that "pickup" is actually the model name
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by redbayredneck
Out of the circle, I just tell people its a Hilux... I get tired of having to explain that "pickup" is actually the model name
i get tired of telling people that mine is not a tacoma.
i say i drive a toyota pickup and they oh you have a tacoma

btw, is taco ok for tacoma? landy? i'd hate to read the abrevs for a sequoia or highlander.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Redeyejedi
i get tired of telling people that mine is not a tacoma.
i say i drive a toyota pickup and they oh you have a tacoma

btw, is taco ok for tacoma? landy? i'd hate to read the abrevs for a sequoia or highlander.
I feel ya on that!

I've heard Taco used a lot around here, not sure if its ok lol

What can I abbreviate my Tundra to?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 PM

I'd say tread lightly on the abbreviations you use. Not everyone has the same meanings for/feelings about them
Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's deep...and oh-so-profound.

How about next time you need a question answered...go somewhere else, where your feelings won't get hurt.

We are not responsible for your feelings here...
Old 08-29-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by redbayredneck
I feel ya on that!

I've heard Taco used a lot around here, not sure if its ok lol

What can I abbreviate my Tundra to?
i'd say call it a tundy, but not only does that sound..well....less-than-manly..but i am also sure that means a really bad word to call someone's mom in some other language.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by snobdds
That's deep...and oh-so-profound.

How about next time you need a question answered...go somewhere else, where your feelings won't get hurt.

We are not responsible for your feelings here...
Quite the contraire my man. My feelings weren't hurt. Using overly large font sizes and emoticons expressing disdain and declaring a rant would be indicative of someone who's emotionally involved. I was looking for help on a relevant topic and got what I needed, much thanks. I was forewarning (albeit sarcastically) users to be careful what they refer to their vehicle as because OTHERS have feelings strongly fixated on this subject. The only irrelevant part of the thread was the discrepancy brought up to using 'T4R'. My original question had value, the bickering about an abbreviation did not. I'm sure a new thread could be started for that stuff. That's all snob.

Last edited by Dylan86; 09-03-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You call it whatever the gummy bears you like. Not everyone is as passionate (or particular) about Toyota as our resident Toyo-nut MH. But thank gods] he's here helping and sharing.

Seriously, would buy MH a beer any day of the week for his service to the forum

Last edited by vital22re; 09-03-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: bypassing censor

Quick Reply: DENSO Cap and Rotor - WTFrench cheese?