86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CV Axle Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CV Axle Recommendations?

I need new boots for my front CV axles, but I figured I can spend a little more money and replace not only the boots but the axles themselves as well. A CV axle boot replacement job at a local shop would cost $60 while a brand-new CV axle from a nearby AutoZone costs about an extra $20 each.

Is it a good idea to buy CV axles from AutoZone? Has anyone had any experiences with CV axles from AutoZone? What are some good, inexpensive alternative brands of CV axles I can consider?

I've never replaced CV axles before, but I'll have my dad to show me since he's more skilled with this sort of stuff. I also obviously do not want to buy CV axles that would break easily.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Some seem to think that all aftermarket half-shafts are weaker than OE Toyota parts.

I don't really know, except to take note that many are chinese slave labor goods.

They are not known for their careful adherence to metal alloying specs and subsequent heat treatment. Much of their product is rendered from scrap metal of questionable pedigree..

Two of my IFS machines had OE shafts in them and I secured Genuine Toyota boot and grease kits and I rebuilt them.

It's a nasty, messy job, but it was worth it to me to keep my factory half-shafts.

Last edited by millball; 07-22-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Have to agree with millball. Last time i did it i got the kit from toyota. My original boots lasted approx 15 years vs the 2 sets of of aftermarket shafts I installed, the boots only lasted about 4 years. YMMV.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I went with New Napa CV Axles on my Tacoma and 4Runner

I have about 30,000 miles on the Tacoma with the Napa axles

I could see if your into hardcore Rock Crawling or Off Roading but then you most likely have done a SAS
Old 07-23-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No problems outta my RockAuto/Ebay front axle that I got for ~$45 shipped.

Watched my old roommate drop the extra money on having his OEM VW front axles professionally rebuilt by a reputable shop that specializes in that sort of thing, only to have one of them crap out on him again in his VR6 swapped Harlequin while we were riding across campus. That might not apply very much to these old Toyota trucks, but it applied just enough to me to steer me towards replacing my entire front passenger axle that clicked during turns in 4wd as opposed to having the OEM unit rebuilt, and that decision has treated me well so far.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:58 PM

I think I'll go with CV axles from Advance Auto Parts. They cost a little bit more than what's available at AutoZone, but the reviews I read seem promising, with one of them coming from an actual Toyota enthusiast.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd agree with rebuilding if you're into that kinda thing. Depends on use too. I offroaded when I was IFS and had a torsion bar lift so operating angle was a bit more than optimum. Since I didn't operate 4wd at highway speeds I bought cheap ones. I also pressed studs off of differential output flanges and replaced them with grade 10.9 metric bolts. Made it so I could swap out shafts in a jiffy, even on a trail though never had too. Have fun!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
If you have manual locking hubs your CV's should last pretty long which ever you buy so long as the hubs aren't locked 24/7.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by se7enine
If you have manual locking hubs your CV's should last pretty long which ever you buy so long as the hubs aren't locked 24/7.
That sounds good, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I could see if your into hardcore Rock Crawling or Off Roading but then you most likely have done a SAS
I wish I could do an SAS, but I'm only a college student so I don't have that kind of money to spend at the moment, haha.