86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Custom Paint Schemes (Ext-Cab Pickup)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Paint Schemes (Ext-Cab Pickup)

Hey all, I'm going to paint my truck as soon as I can come up with a 3 tone paint scheme, but I need some ideas. I'm highly considering going with Black/Charcoal/Silver. If any of you have custom 2 or 3 tone paint schemes on your pickups, please post some pictures on this thread. I really want to get started on classing out this turd looking truck, and a paint job, wheels and tires should do the trick. It's mechanically awesome, interior is excellent & sound system is good. So I just need to deck-out the exterior since I plan to keep it for many years to come. Thanks for ANY contributions
Richard

Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 PM

paint it black and then get some nice chrome rims and agressive tires. that would be sick

sorry i dont have any two tone ideas

ps. take the camper off : )
Old 05-31-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the crome off the wheel wells, do the bottom in the silver up to the belt line, black above the beltline & silver on the hood, roof, topper, etc.

some of the sequoia limited pweter 17" rims
Old 05-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

some of the sequoia limited pweter 17" rims
these are the hypersilver color....i was trying to find these....

celica...that idea would be SICK!!!
Old 05-31-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by brandontrek
celica...that idea would be SICK!!!
sick - good or bad?
Old 05-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

sick is above awsome
Old 05-31-2006, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by curly_c
paint it black and then get some nice chrome rims and agressive tires. that would be sick

sorry i dont have any two tone ideas

ps. take the camper off : )
I agree that would look REAL good Curly, but my company is basically an aircraft body shop and we do a LOT of detailing. Black is the most difficult color to detail and keep clean, and this is my daily driver. So I don't want it to become a major PITA to keep up. Silver is the absolute easiest to keep up. I have to keep the shell on for my Hybrid Artic Wolf as well. Otherwise I'd pitch it real quick. Thanks for your input though
Richard
Old 05-31-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by celica
sick - good or bad?
Thanks celica, that's definately worth considering. It would certainly add some class to the ride. Keep em coming guys,
Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Personally I like the factory silver with the factory SR5 stripes. You could put some of that super aircraft clearcoat on it too. My dad's old F250 had that on it and it was near impossible to scratch.

Definately something with strong, long lines and boxy, angles styling. That would do better on the Toyota body than any roundish or swirly type stuff.

Maybe the lower part could be a light silver, spreading up over the front wheel fenders and an 8" portion surrounding the grill and top of the hood. Above that a thin black stripe or handful of stripes, and the deeper factory silver above that.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:53 PM

Swirls!
Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

i am with rustbucket on keeping the design boxy and angular. i once saw a truck with a strip like this going on(of course you can change the colors to what you like)....

and we can tell that mu photoshop skills are on par with a blind person....

Last edited by brandontrek; 05-31-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

I would go with Silver on the bottom up to the belt line and around the wheel wells. Instead of painting it though, I'd use a spray on bed liner/rocker guard for it.

Blend the Silver into Black and carry that over the entire truck belt line up, and over the cab.

I would ponder putting Silver on the hood, making that stand out, but not 100% sure I'd do that.

Then spray the canopy/topper Black.

Black out all the chrome, and darken the rims to maybe a Dark Gray. What I would do on the rims is paint the spokes themselves a Gray or Silver, and the little triangles and the outter ring of the rims Black. Then turn the tires Black-side out.

(if only I had photoshop to see what that would look like)
Old 05-31-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by brandontrek
and we can tell that mu photoshop skills are on par with a blind person....
Thanks alot, jerk, I am blind.

I even accidentally drank a can of engine restorer because it was in a can with a pop lid, that's how blind I am.

Actually I'm only blind without my contacts on...

You could check out jamesdeancreations.com to look at the oldschool factory graphics, they might give you some good ideas! I especially like the ones on the first generation trucks.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:46 PM

flat black all the trim blacked out with a small silver strip down the side that widens just alittle in the rear

Last edited by NC-B17A; 05-31-2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:10 PM

I'm loving your ideas guys, keep em coming It looks like I've landed a deal on some 17" Hyper Silver Sequoia wheels. I'll see them, and hopefully buy them Friday morning. I'm leanning toward the idea of blending or graphics. In fact I just might lay out the graphics to cause a color blending illusion. I'm only doing this once, so I don't mind if it's a time consumming, labor intensive task. As long as it's within my abilities. Thanks again guys, your input is appreciated
Old 05-31-2006, 11:40 PM

I have always been a fan of the two tone paint scemes, but not in a typical way. I think that any kind of color and then some spray-in bedliner or black paint with that protective guard stuff mixed in along the bottom looks awsome. I plan on doing this with my truck when I have it painted a darker shade of red.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

Not to give away the idea I'm thinking of using but what about Black Cherry from about the belt line down with a platinum silver metallic from the belt line up. You could beef up the separation line by overlaying it with a "Thunder cloud gray" pin stripe.
Definitely go with the Aircraft clear coat over the top for protection.
Don't forget to dress them de-ice boots when yer dun LOL.
What ever you end up doing my advice would be to keep the silver on top as you know it will keep the cabin/bed cooler for you and your dog.
Later Aviator
Old 06-01-2006, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
I'm loving your ideas guys, keep em coming It looks like I've landed a deal on some 17" Hyper Silver Sequoia wheels. I'll see them, and hopefully buy them Friday morning. I'm leanning toward the idea of blending or graphics. In fact I just might lay out the graphics to cause a color blending illusion. I'm only doing this once, so I don't mind if it's a time consumming, labor intensive task. As long as it's within my abilities. Thanks again guys, your input is appreciated
Just remember the center caps wont fit on the front so you will want to paint up your hubs
Old 06-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Flamedx4 had the fanciest paint job I've ever seen: http://www.pcez.com/~pcollins/90Toyota4x4pics/

BTW he just sold that truck for $25,000 https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...0&page=1&pp=25

Last edited by mt_goat; 06-01-2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:33 AM

What about a black & charcoal camo with a gray outline around the camo spots

Quick Reply: Custom Paint Schemes (Ext-Cab Pickup)