86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crankshaft oil galley plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft oil galley plugs

Does anyone here remove the oil galley plugs in the crankshaft before taking it to a machine shop to get machined/cleaned?
Does it have to be done? Should i just leave it to the machine shop to do, as the plugs seem stuck in there!

I removed all the oil galley plugs on the block but they came out pretty easy, but the four in the crankshaft appear to be really stuck and the hex heads will just strip out i think...
Is this type of work included in the price of getting a crank/block cleaned or is it customary to charge extra to remove plugs and chase/re-tap?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:42 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
My machinist wouldn't remove them at all. He did clean the holes with rifle brush, solvent and compressed air.

The plugs in my crank were peened in and he said there was a good chance of damaging the crank if they were removed.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yikes!
Yeah from what i can see the hole in the crank used to carry oil from the block and through the bearing is just straight through, but the oil galley plug is on the side... Does the passage to the plug go anywhere or is it just a 'L' shape dead end?
I am really only worried about there being a bunch of sludge up in the dead end that will come out on my new bearings.

Do they acid bath cranks? If so, i guess the acid will eat out the crap in the passage?

The 22R i am rebuilding for my 4Runner I bought off an owner who thought it was a headgasket but when i tore it down it was actually the timing chain - but in any event the oil was still sludgey and stuck everywhere...
Not to mention he only ran it on water not coolant!