Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Conversion of ADD to Manual system

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion of ADD to Manual system

Hey Guys! I have 3 Toyota trucks, 2 of which are 1994 extended cabs. One of them is equipped with a V6 and has the ADD four wheel drive, and the other 94 has manual locking hubs coupled with the 22RE 4 cyl.

I would really like to swap out the front axles but wondered since I'd be adapting the ADD system from the V6 over to the 22RE, would I be dimming the lights to a literal nigh mare, with added expense for adaptions, fabrications, and funky rigging? Or would all the vacuum lines and solonoids etc etc install like it was intended?

Both rigs run fine and I'm happy with both trucks. It's just that I'd prefer the manual hubs on the other truck because I'm contemplating selling the 22RE truck.

Here's a snap shot of my truckage......
Attached Thumbnails Conversion of ADD to Manual system-015.jpg  
Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 PM

More photos.......

The gray 94 I've been driving for 16 years. Picked up the 96 'Coma 3 years ago and the white 94 I just bought for $5,000 and it's as crisp as a new truck!
Attached Thumbnails Conversion of ADD to Manual system-014.jpg   Conversion of ADD to Manual system-016.jpg  

Last edited by 1994toyotatruck; 05-09-2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 1994toyotatruck
More photos.......

The gray 94 I've been driving for 16 years. Picked up the 96 'Coma 3 years ago and the white 94 I just bought for $5,000 and it's as crisp as a new truck!
It's not hard to transfer from add to manual. You do have to remove the half shaft that add attaches to along with a gear just inside the third once you remove the axle. To do the swap you'll need a nonadd half shaft or axle and obviously locking hubs. As for the vacuum lines I have no idea but I'm sure you can just block them.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 PM

See that's the thing is that once I put the ADD front axle on the gray truck with the 22RE motor, I need to hook all that vacuum back up.

I was hoping that I could drop the manual locking hubs, axle and diff and just install it right to the white truck. Shouldn't be an issue. It's just the vacuum lines, finding a spot for the solenoid on the 22re and so on.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am not awake yet not enough coffee !!

Just why do you want to swap axles ??

You can add locking hubs to the ADD system and have the best of both worlds like me.

In the winter the hubs stay locked. On long trips on dry roads they get unlocked as well as in the summer

Want the bigger brakes just buy the calipers and rotors a bolt on swap.

Why go to all the trouble of swapping things unless your bored and need something to keep you busy ??
Old 05-10-2016, 07:20 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
You can bolt all of the solenoids onto the fender, and run the vacuum line to a port on the intake manifold, but that's not the big issue. You also need to connect to the 4wd switch in the transfer case (your old transfer case probably doesn't even have said switch), and from there to a SPDT relay (which won't exist on your old vehicle) which runs the vacuum solenoids. Finally, you'll want to connect the ADD detect switch in the front axle to the 4wd indicator light in the panel.

At a minimum you'll need a wiring diagram for the ADD system, and need to be pretty handy with electricity.

I'm with Wyoming. Keep the ADD on your new vehicle, buy a set of Aisin manual hubs off ebay for $100, install them and be done with it.

Bottom line,
Old 05-22-2016, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by rjr
you can bolt all of the solenoids onto the fender, and run the vacuum line to a port on the intake manifold, but that's not the big issue. You also need to connect to the 4wd switch in the transfer case (your old transfer case probably doesn't even have said switch), and from there to a spdt relay (which won't exist on your old vehicle) which runs the vacuum solenoids. Finally, you'll want to connect the add detect switch in the front axle to the 4wd indicator light in the panel.

At a minimum you'll need a wiring diagram for the add system, and need to be pretty handy with electricity.

I'm with wyoming. Keep the add on your new vehicle, buy a set of aisin manual hubs off ebay for $100, install them and be done with it.

Bottom line,
sold!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 AM

Thank you for the input! I'm going to just leave it alone. It really wasn't an issue with me and I don't believe it will make a difference on the fuel economy.