Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Concerning rattle/grinding from front near suspension/wheel, intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concerning rattle/grinding from front near suspension/wheel, intermittent

Hey everyone,

I've got an 86 22re pickup with 99,000 on it and am getting an odd suspension sound.

I'm on a long road trip and noticed this recently and it's throwing me for a bit of a loop. Wondering if anyone can think of anything to check before I head to a mechanic for inspection.

Symptoms: A faint sound that's tough to describe, it's a bit like a rattle, a clank, and grinding all rolled into one. It sounds like it's coming from just inside the front wheel drivers side though I haven't had any passengers to listen on the other side.

When it occurs: Here's where it gets confusing. I only hear it between 10-25 mph, and only on slightly bumpy or grooved dirt roads. NOT on pavement unless it's bumpy, and not on dirt roads that are really bumpy. Think of the rumble strips on a roadside, conditions like that. I don't hear it when 4WD is engaged.

What I've done: just today I peeked under there looking for any obvious loose bolts/broken bushings, or other things. My search wasn't super thorough as I was crawling around in dirt with ants, but nothing jumped out at me.

I'd love some input.. Thanks!

-Loren