86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Complexity of adding A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Complexity of adding A/C

OK, for starters, I love my 4Runner, but everyday I get out of work and it's like getting in a steam cooker. I roll down all the windows and drive home, and I am basically cooking the whole way there.

Is it worth my time/effort/money vs. performance hit on a 22RE to find & install A/C parts off a junked Yota?

I know there is ACkits, but that is almost $900, a little out of my budget.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Falx
OK, for starters, I love my 4Runner, but everyday I get out of work and it's like getting in a steam cooker. I roll down all the windows and drive home, and I am basically cooking the whole way there.

Is it worth my time/effort/money vs. performance hit on a 22RE to find & install A/C parts off a junked Yota?

I know there is ACkits, but that is almost $900, a little out of my budget.
Hey, at least you don't live in Arizona with no A/C lol. Personally, if you can find it all in decent conidition, sure why not. A/C is a selling point in most places if anything.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it will be a bigger job than you're anticipating. Consider leaving the back window down half way and all the windows cracked open- that alone will keep the temps way down inside the truck.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Duckie
Hey, at least you don't live in Arizona with no A/C lol. Personally, if you can find it all in decent conidition, sure why not. A/C is a selling point in most places if anything.
Ha, yeah, still, it has been in the high 80s-90s here which is already too hot for my taste.
I should look into what parts I would need to get A/C working.

On a side note, how much did that ARB bumper cost you?

Originally Posted by Matt16
I think it will be a bigger job than you're anticipating. Consider leaving the back window down half way and all the windows cracked open- that alone will keep the temps way down inside the truck.
Bigger than what? I did the engine swap by myself when I had to get the old one rebuilt.

Last edited by Falx; 06-21-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Falx
Ha, yeah, still, it has been in the high 80s-90s here which is already too hot for my taste.
I should look into what parts I would need to get A/C working.

On a side note, how much did that ARB bumper cost you?
Since you've seen the kits, I would look what all the kits include, and then try to get all of the major components.

Side note: Well it was already on when I got the runner, but I know that ARB sells them on their site (listed for 86-95 pickups, I'm assuming their close to the 4runners) for Like $930. I don't know what the retail markup is though. I'm trying to figure out how much mine is worth, its practically brand new, only a few scrathces and dings.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM

Im in the process of adding ac to my 85 now
Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Duckie
Since you've seen the kits, I would look what all the kits include, and then try to get all of the major components.

Side note: Well it was already on when I got the runner, but I know that ARB sells them on their site (listed for 86-95 pickups, I'm assuming their close to the 4runners) for Like $930. I don't know what the retail markup is though. I'm trying to figure out how much mine is worth, its practically brand new, only a few scrathces and dings.
I found a site selling them for $854 and my heart stopped a little, I'll wait 'til the rest of my OE bumper falls off.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:50 PM

Installing the A/C system is incredibly simple. Should be able to do it with basic hand tools in a few hours at most. I bought a complete change over from a local dismantler, with a new dryer and condensor for $325. Toyota is nice enough to leave all the wire plugs in place, even when the truck doesnt come equipped with AC. None of the dash has to come out(button just pushes into the socket and clicks into the connector), mount the compressor on the engine block, mount the condensor and dryer(the aftermarket condensor I got was a little finicky, but I just made my own little mounting brackets), install lines, and mount the control unit under the dash(simply remove the glovebox and its easy). Thats pretty much the just of it. Get it charged up, and mine will feeze me out while running down the road(little single cab truck).
One thing Ive never done, but probably should is install the "A/C idle up" valve on the engine. I think its like $30 from Toyota, and keeps the engine RPM up when sitting still with the AC on. Right now, mine will idle at about 400 with the AC on...but not a big deal really.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I am about to tackle adding ac to my 94. There are a few complete Junkers with ac over at the wrecking yard. If anyone has a good writeup on the process it would sure help.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by CurleysRacecars
Installing the A/C system is incredibly simple. Should be able to do it with basic hand tools in a few hours at most. I bought a complete change over from a local dismantler, with a new dryer and condensor for $325. Toyota is nice enough to leave all the wire plugs in place, even when the truck doesnt come equipped with AC. None of the dash has to come out(button just pushes into the socket and clicks into the connector), mount the compressor on the engine block, mount the condensor and dryer(the aftermarket condensor I got was a little finicky, but I just made my own little mounting brackets), install lines, and mount the control unit under the dash(simply remove the glovebox and its easy). Thats pretty much the just of it. Get it charged up, and mine will feeze me out while running down the road(little single cab truck).
One thing Ive never done, but probably should is install the "A/C idle up" valve on the engine. I think its like $30 from Toyota, and keeps the engine RPM up when sitting still with the AC on. Right now, mine will idle at about 400 with the AC on...but not a big deal really.
Lots of good info here!
I should hit the pull n' pay this weekend, see if they have anything to scavenge.

Last edited by Falx; 06-21-2010 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:07 PM

Go to Colorado salvage on Radcliff in Englewood, its my favorite pick and pull for yota stuff. Normaly I can score stuff for a tenth the cost of the yota yard, of coarse they dont have the selection either. This hot weather sucks, I miss the mid to upper 70s its like our spring was none existant just straight to summer
Old 06-21-2010, 07:12 PM

O yeah there is also a good one on hwy 44 between peterson AFB and Shriever AFB, I can remember the name of it but it has been good for me when I down that way.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerRandy
Go to Colorado salvage on Radcliff in Englewood, its my favorite pick and pull for yota stuff. Normaly I can score stuff for a tenth the cost of the yota yard, of coarse they dont have the selection either. This hot weather sucks, I miss the mid to upper 70s its like our spring was none existant just straight to summer
Colorado Auto & Parts on W. Radcliff Ave?
I used to live a block away from there. If they have good deals, it might be worth a trip up there.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 PM

They do, I once got a ECU out of an Porche 948s for $10, I sold it on line for $260. But normaly things can be had for a very reasonable price, they normaly have a couple yotas there. sometimes they have more yotas than other times but the price is worth taking a quick walk to look around
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM

Ha, I might see if I can commandeer a different vehicle to go up there, I don't really feel like an hour drive in summer without A/C...
Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

I installed an AC into our little 94.

Everything mechanical was a snap...

The wiring would have been a snap, but the ac has 8 pin while the truck has 10 pin....

I'll be attempting a few combo's here fairly soon.

proving all the plug ins match up it is a 1 banana job.

Repo
Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 AM

That is good news. My issue is making sure I get all the right parts from from the junker. You wouldn't happen to have a list of everything needed?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Anyone happen to have a pic of the "idle up" valve? I have a complete A/C setup minus the motor mount off a donor truck that I'm contemplating swapping in. I don't use A/C that much, but it might be a nice little bonus feature
Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM

If you decide you want the bonus feature and you have all the parts I would be interested in buying it from you
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in the final stages of doing this to my V6 4runner, the big lesson I learned is that you want to know what you need first I got a set up out of a 91 4runner and its got a completely different wiring and plugs set up to my 93 4runner. I ended up getting the right harness and parts out of a 94runner.

Just need to get the truck on the road and take it to get charged.

Quick Reply: Complexity of adding A/C