86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Completed rebuild of 3vze, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completed rebuild of 3vze, need some advice

Ok so I had the heads and valve job done at a machine shop. Put new head gaskets and put everything back together, timing marks perfect, checked the valve clearences to double check the shop and they are perfect. Had the fuel injectors done by witch hunter performance. Added headers and 2 1/4 exhaust. I had the code 52 for the knock sensor but I disconnected it and cleaned the connections and that fixed that issue. No codes now. I know they it's called the 3.slow for a reason this thing has no power. It idles great and runs smooth but the only way I can get any short of power out of it is to advance the timing to what I would have to guess is about 30 degrees. With it set at 15 I can't even get to 70mph. I'm completely lost on what to do and feel like I've wasted about 1,800 bucks. So I'm looking for any advice y'all can give me to try to get something out of this truck. It is GREATLY appreciated
Old 07-10-2017, 07:04 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Base timing cannot be correctly set unless the engine idle is at or slightly below spec: 800-850rpm and the TPS must be sending 'throttle closed' to the ECU. (TPS working correctly and correctly adjusted)

It is not enough that the terminals be jumped in the diagnostic connector, these other two conditions must be satisfied as well to get base timing.

Your base timing may well not be what you think it is.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by millball
Base timing cannot be correctly set unless the engine idle is at or slightly below spec: 800-850rpm and the TPS must be sending 'throttle closed' to the ECU. (TPS working correctly and correctly adjusted)

It is not enough that the terminals be jumped in the diagnostic connector, these other two conditions must be satisfied as well to get base timing.

the idle speed was at 825 when I set the timing. The truck would hardly take off in 1st gear. I'm assuming the TPS is correct cause I'm not getting a code for it
Old 07-11-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Don't make assumptions, listen to millball, he really seems to know what he's talking about. there is a procedure for setting the TPS. and it could be reading slightly open with the throttle fully closed, why would that set a code? the computer just thinks your foot is still on the gas.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 AM

You win! adjusted it last night and it seems to be what caused my issue. Still not running perfect but I can now run with the timing in spec! What else would you recommend to try to get it running a little better? I was thinking changing air filter, fuel filter, and a fresh oil change.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:23 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Replace plug wires if older.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well said "millball, I think this is what is missed alot of times. TPS and timing go together

Last edited by ksti; 07-12-2017 at 07:46 AM.