86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Code 13 - Crankshaft position signal

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code 13 - Crankshaft position signal

Moving a topic that I am needing some help with into this section. I have asked a staff member if it was alright and he agreed. I am hoping someone could help me solve the trouble I am having.

After searching various sites I have only been able to find minimal information about the code 13. Also, I am unable to find a wiring diagram for the crankshaft position sensor. If anyone has one it would be greatly appreciated!

The original thread is as follows:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/back-grave-231390/

Last night I couldn't get the TPS set so I went down to the junkyard and picked up a new throttle body with the tps already fixed in place and set. That turned out to be a waste cause it didn't fix the problem.
So now i'm throwing a code 13 and 51. Sometimes the 13 goes away and it is just 51. I did a little research on the 13 and found that it relates to the crankshaft position signal that comes from the distributor. If that is out of wack then it would make sense as to why the air/fuel ratio would be incorrect and would cause the code 51. Does this make sense or am I just trying too hard to diagnose what is going on? I tried to just switch the sending unit inside the distributor but it didn't make a difference. While I was doing that I noticed some broken wire hanging down near the frame. I began to tear it apart and this is what I found.

Looks like it may have caught fire or smoked up at one point.

The wires and plugs above connect to the alternator which in turn I think plug into the igniter coil.
I took some pictures of what I thought may be the wire on my other truck and this is what I think may be the same wire.

The picture above didn't come out too well but it basically comes from the same wiring harness and leads to the side of the block to act as a ground. Could this be the culprit to the code 13? The wiring diagram below shows the igniter grounding but it doesn't point out where. I would assume it would ground right by the igniter and not travel through the alternator to reach the ground near the block.

Anyone have any idea or insight on what the torn up wire may have served a purpose for? Is it possible that it is related to the code 13? Could this be the cause of my problems? Please help! Thank you!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not that anyone cares but problem solved! The wire that was all burned up was in fact the ground and was connected to the crankshaft sensor through the igniter. I went to my local junkyard, picked up a new harness for about 10 bucks, and it fired right up with no code!