Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Clutch/Transmission Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch/Transmission Problems?

I have an 1987 Pickup 4X4 22R 5spd 181,000 miles with a few problems and I am trying to get some advice so I can get the kinks worked out and get it running good. I want to apologize If I ask questions that have been asked before. I promise I have utilized the search feature many times.

Three Cylinders are at 120PSI and the No. 4. Cylinder is running at 70PSI. The truck has a max speed of around 70mph in 5th gear with the throttle wide open which I know is abnormal? I have oil leaks at the front of the vehicle from the oil pan and the other seals at the front of the vehicle. The vehicle leaks oil only when it is running. Does this mean there is a pressure buildup in the engine? The truck will shake horribly like the clutch is grabbing then releasing when the clutch is out when the vehicle gets warm and it traveling at a high speed (50+miles per hour). Pushing in the clutch stops this shaking which leads me to believe it is the tranmission/clutch not the engine. I was told my clutch was oil soaked by a mechanic? The vehicle is impractical to drive down the highway for more than a few miles because when driving at high speed the clutch starts slipping, or atleast thats what I am thinking it is? The whole vehicle shudders and the power transfer stops or something to that affect. Any idea what this is and how it could be fixed? My mechanic told me the clutch itself was good but I dont know if this is accurate or not? If I havent provided enough information please let me know. Also, The Shifter grinds going into 2nd unless it is shifted just right, it wont go into 3rd unless you are going up from 2nd to 3rd and you have to push the clutch in and let it out and push the clutch in again to get it to slide into reverse sometimes. I really like my yota but I cant use it now until I get the Clutch? Issue fixed because it cant be driven any distance at all without holding up traffic and being a safety hazard. Thanks in advance and I apologize again if I have asked questions that have been posted previously.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Save yourself some grief. Find a good used transmission and t-case. Then just do a clutch and swap the whole unit.

A good way to test for a worn clutch, put it in 4th and floor it.

That one cylinder is pretty low in relation to all others. Have you checked the valve clearance?
Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as already stated replace the clutch. and resurface the flywheel. the 2nd gear shifting issue can prob be cured by replacing the shifter seat bushings. also you need to find out why #4 is so low. (valves may not be sealing, rings might be worn) if you have the equipt. do a cylinder leak down test and listen to where the air is going.