Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clutch, manual hub, blinker, etc problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clutch, manual hub, blinker, etc problems

So I searched through the forums and nothing tackled specific issues Im getting so here they are. oh man I either need a lot of money or well... a lot more money Im thinking :pat:. Any way here it is.. Any help would be greatly Appreciated.

The specs: 1986 p/u 3"body kit 31's and maybe a torque spring adjustment (the guy who sold it to me didn't know what the hell he was talking about), 22r 2.4bbl 5 speed and um.... I think that's it. no major internal changes except an alarm and foglights (this might help with the electrical problem answers)

1. When I'm cruising in 4th and 5th the engine will rev out if i press the gas to hard. So im thinking clutch is slipping. but people keep mentioning that maybe I can adjust the ......(insert your recommendation here) if this is possible any walk throughs? or should I scrap it for a new clutch.. (joy 4wd and more money to spend... money and time damn.) if a replacement is needed any recs on where and what I should get? I have no plans on beefing her up fora few years (still in College... more money....more time) and I dont crawl often. so maybe a OEM? or stage 1 centerforce? if OEM, Napa? Toyota? autozone? some online site? I dunno Im lost on this one. Note: this started a few months back and periodically the truck would be running for a bit (plenty hot) and the clutch wouldn't slip at all.. and other times it will slip like crazy (especially when dumping the clutch entering the highway)

2.My front right manual locking hub is stuck in the "im not in free or lock" spot and it takes a vise grip and some elbow to move it halfway to free and back. and I noticed when I was replacing the brake pads that the drive axle spins when the rotor spins so apparently its stuck in lock... (bad for gas milege amongst other things) so replacement? service? is there a way to disconnect it for the time being until I can fix it? It's been running like this for god knows how long. I've heard there are service kits but I dont want to pop the hub off and not be able to "commute".. any suggestions?

3. moving on... about two days ago I was on the highway and donig about 65 when I went to switch lanes my turn signals buzzed at me as opposed to blinking and smiling.. that was weird.. then I went to check the headlights and when I switched them on the truck died rolling at 65 (fun ) after switching them back off the truck popped back to life with no problems. all was fine until I got to a stop light at the exit ramp.. the truck started to idle die and only by gassing her constantly could i keep her awake... man the days of break gas and clutch at the same time are not over I guess.) luckly I got her home. now it could be a few things that I've narrowed down. either the battery, the alternator, or the voltage regualtor. anything else? any more things I can pay out for? I charged the battery and popped it back in and the truck started no problem. and I haven't driven her since so I'm not sure if the battery can't hold charge or if it anything else (im sure it could be a bunch of things) if it is the alternator or voltage regulator any thoughts on what I should use to replace it with? and if there is any S.O.P's to check each component that would be great to maybe narrow it down a bit.

4. I think this is it... (as if I dont have enough issue with her.) oh yeah. the e-brake light came on after the brake was released. and its not the little switch at the base of the parking brake. at first it came on until about 20mph then would go out.. and during the whole electrical fiasco (above) the light started coming on at 60mph and pretty much the whole time.. I checked the fluid levels and they looked fine. and I replaced the master cylinder about five months ago and replaced pads/drained and refilled the levels about three months ago.. any thoughts? the brake pedal doesn't feel any squishy-er since the light came on.. but then again the pedal is always a bit squishy so maybe im not noticing..

5. oh yeah. Im having an issue getting the truck into first gear unless I really cram it in. (clutch pushed in) this only happens every once in a while and I usually try to get into gear if Im coasting to a stoplight and keepthe clutch in when this happens to prevent holding up the line. I read somewhere or I imagined somewhere that this could be because of the body lift and it causing things to be a bit off with lining up etc... or maybe the trans mount is loose? Im not sure..

that's it. let me know if you have any suggestions and I love her. but Im not skipping a semester to pay for her. I can always walk.
damn I love these smileys.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
1. clutch is slipping. OEM.

2. front right manual locking hub. R/R

3. sounds like a short or bad ground. Have someone check your electrical system.

4. Low brake fluid or bad e-brake switch that turns off the light (under dash) or it needs adjustment.

5. Clutch master or slave cylinder or both.

Unless you can do all this yourself, sounds like you need to find a trusted mechanic.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
1. clutch is slipping. OEM.

Unless you can do all this yourself, sounds like you need to find a trusted mechanic.

I can do pretty much all of the repair that's not the issue. any specific brand for OEM replacement on that clutch? websites? autozone etc?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd get a genuine OEM clutch. Look up strap22 on Yotatech. He sells stuff at trdparts4u.com and will do you right.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

re: #5

Are you sure this isnt a result of the syncro's waiting for you to slow down enough before allowing 1st gear engagement? Does it give you the same difficulty when you engage 1st from a stop?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
RE: #5

This might be caused by a distintegrated shifter bushing. less than $4 from the dealer.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by msw0085
re: #5

Are you sure this isnt a result of the syncro's waiting for you to slow down enough before allowing 1st gear engagement? Does it give you the same difficulty when you engage 1st from a stop?

yeah. that's when it orignally started. I'd be at a stop light. and go to put her in first and it wouldn't budge.. I then would put it into second and then first and that usually fixed the issue. well. now it won't go into any gear. I'll fish for one and unless I really cram it into first she wont get it.. So at this point I scold her and puch harder and it will pop in but I can definitely feel a grating resistence. let me know if you need any more information thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
RE: #5

This might be caused by a distintegrated shifter bushing. less than $4 from the dealer.
easy to replace? any write ups on it? thanks.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Yes and yes. let me look for a sec
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

application should be close enough for your 4runner. In any case, its not hard.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76379
Old 08-10-2006, 06:15 PM

thanks let me know. I'll be around and or in the garage pulling my alternator.
thanks again.,