86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch install gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Clutch install gone bad?

I just replaced my clutch in my 89 runner. once it was bolted back on, the slave cylinder had to be compressed so much to get the nipple back in its seat on the fork. i started the truck up and the clutch was really stiff. clutch pedal was in and put in reverse to back out, and i barley let the clutch out, and it grab instantly. this is not usuall opperation of my clutch. once i was on the street i put it into first and again, barely let off the clutch and it took off, as i was getting ready to shift into second, i pushed the clutch in and i felt a pop and the pedal tension was back to normal, but i couldn't take it out of first. it was like the pedal didnt move the slave cylinder enought to seperate the clucth disc. i have a whole bunch of people telling me its the throw-out bearing, or the tranny is bad, etc. i think my pedal needs to be adjusted. but i dont know if its possible or not. woundering if anyone has had this problem or knows what my problem is. everything installed was correct; right clutch kit, clutch disc went on the right way, etc. any input would get back my sanity.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
It is easy enough to adjust the clutch, so you might give that a try. First try bleeding the hydraulic system. Maybe there is a chance that either your master or slave cylinder is starting to go and the pressure of the new clutch is too much for it. Those are the simple things, but it does sound like something is not installed correctly, possibly somthing where the slave cylinder attached to the fork. When you bleed it, you can try getting the slave cylinder on the fork properly since there will be less pressure with the bleeder screw open.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well. i got fed up with it not working for so long i just took to a shop. plus me living in an apartment complex, working on your vehicles is frowned upon. thanks anyway for your input.