Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clunking noise over bumps - I can’t find what’s doing it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Clunking noise over bumps - I can’t find what’s doing it!

1994 4wd 22re Pickup

Hi all, I’m hearing a clunking noise from the front left of the truck when I go over bumps. Happens in my driveway when I drive over this rock and also on the highway at 65mph. I jacked the truck up and started shaking the wheel around and looking at bushings and everything seems fine. I do have a little play when I shake the wheel grabbing at 12&6 and also 3&9, but it’s very slight and the right wheel has the same minimal play and gives no clunking noise.

I removed the wheel and manual locking hub to check play at the cv axle and took a video. Is this normal lateral play? Also has in and out play which I’m not sure is normal. The boot has been torn for years and there’s grease flung everywhere. Could the axle be the culprit?

Old 04-08-2018, 04:06 AM

So my plan is to replace the axle and brass bushings. I’m currently looking up the proper part numbers for this, but does anyone have the info handy? Do I need to replace any seals as well?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i would take you truck down to the quarter car wash and degrease all that crap off so you can see what you are working with.
could be anything including your sway bar bushings but they are camouflaged by all that grease. new shocks should be added to your list. that torn CV boot should be fixed
also check all your mounts, with the amount of rust on there you could be looking at a frame issue
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dropzone
i would take you truck down to the quarter car wash and degrease all that crap off so you can see what you are working with.
could be anything including your sway bar bushings but they are camouflaged by all that grease. new shocks should be added to your list. that torn CV boot should be fixed
also check all your mounts, with the amount of rust on there you could be looking at a frame issue
Thanks Dropzone, I have since cleaned this area with degreaser and it looks a lot better. The sway bar bushings are cracked but are very firm still, I get virtually no movement shaking back and forth when I grab a hold of it like I’m wringing Bart Simpson’s neck.

A frame issue would suck, hope it’s not an issue. I think it looks worse than it is.

Are you saying new new shocks based on how the shocks and bushings look or just because I’m in there and might as well do it? The shocks on both sides are firm as well.

I think what I’ll do is replace the cv axle and brass bushings and only replace the other stuff if the noise is still there. My luck it will be, but no sense in replacing a part that’s still functioning correctly.

I found the part number for the brass bushings 90381-30006, but anyone know of a cheaper source? I see they’re usually $30+ per bushing. Pretty expensive for a small piece of brass.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 606 Likes on 442 Posts
You shouldn't just replace the brass bushings out of hand. It's very unlikely that they are seriously worn unless they were run dry of all grease for a long, long time.

Measuring instruments like calipers and micrometers are your friend. Take the axles out and make some measurements.

Very likely that you'll find the bushings are still serviceable.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by millball
You shouldn't just replace the brass bushings out of hand. It's very unlikely that they are seriously worn unless they were run dry of all grease for a long, long time.

Measuring instruments like calipers and micrometers are your friend. Take the axles out and make some measurements.

Very likely that you'll find the bushings are still serviceable.
Cool, thanks Millball. I’ll mic them up and see what I find. I’m not finding any service limit specs but I guess I can see if they’re out of round and/or worn differently.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:58 AM

Another part finding question. I can’t seem to find a replacement for the spindle dust seal. I remember when I did my brakes a few years ago the dust seal was cracked and I needed the truck so I just assembled it. I want to fix it now. This is the seal I’m talking about. I’ve seen it called a dust seal or also an oil seal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Ahh, this is crazy. I haven’t had a chance to drive it since I dropped the truck after cleaning it, but I’m just now at the Advance Auto parking lot and the noise is gone. I went over a handful of big bumps on the way here and speed bumps in this parking lot and nothing! This is weird. I suppose removing the wheel and reinstalling it *could* have done something, like maybe the wheel wasn’t fully torqued and now it’s good? I’m still doing the axle, but this is really strange.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:47 PM

My notebook says this dust seal is national 710266, but I've never replaced one so I cannot say 100%
It is not inexpensive, no matter where you source it.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:15 PM

My notebook says this dust seal is national 710266, but I've never replaced one so I cannot say 100%
It is not inexpensive, no matter where you source it.
Thanks Millball, I see prices from $14 up to $50 for that part, haha. Most of the eBay listings show it as a 93-98 T100 part, though. Could still be the same part. I’ll have to do some more searching, but thanks for getting me going what seems to be in the right direction.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Davebarbier

Thanks Millball, I see prices from $14 up to $50 for that part, haha. Most of the eBay listings show it as a 93-98 T100 part, though. Could still be the same part. I’ll have to do some more searching, but thanks for getting me going what seems to be in the right direction.
Please let us know what you find, and any other part numbers that might be correct for IFS. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:05 AM

Called my local dealership, game him my vin, and he said the part number is 90313-93003. I found it on FJParts.com for $24 shipped instead of $65 from the dealer. I ordered it already because I want it soon, but does this part make sense to you all? Hope this FJParts website is reputable and the part comes quick.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 AM

Called my local dealership, game him my vin, and he said the part number is 90313-93003. I found it on FJParts.com for $24 shipped instead of $65 from the dealer. I ordered it already because I want it soon, but does this part make sense to you all? Hope this FJParts website is reputable and the part comes quick.
Does your Runner have front wheel ABS?? I wonder if there is a difference in this dust seal between ABS and non-ABS trucks.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:36 AM

Does your Runner have front wheel ABS?? I wonder if there is a difference in this dust seal between ABS and non-ABS trucks.
No ABS, are you saying this part is for an ABS equipped pickup? I don’t know how the ABS system is applied, like where the ring gear and sensor is located, but if the inboard hub flange has the same OD then the seal will fit around it. I wouldn’t be able to know for sure though.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:42 AM

No ABS, are you saying this part is for an ABS equipped pickup? I don’t know how the ABS system is applied, like where the ring gear and sensor is located, but if the inboard hub flange has the same OD then the seal will fit around it. I wouldn’t be able to know for sure though.
No , I am not saying that this part is for ABS equipped trucks; I was just wondering whether your truck was ABS equipped, and if there might be a difference in this seal between the two trucks.

I would expect that the dealer would supply the correct part based on your VIN number.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:46 AM

No , I am not saying that this part is for ABS equipped trucks; I was just wondering whether your truck was ABS equipped, and if there might be a difference in this seal between the two trucks.

I would expect that the dealer would supply the correct part based on your VIN number.
Ok, yeah I see what you’re saying. I was just nervous for a second. Once the part comes in I can supply dimensions and such. If I hit the loto I’ll buy the same truck but with ABS and let y’all know, haha.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
Hey Dropzone, you were right about shocks and sway bar bushings. I ordered two shocks and two sway bar links from RockAuto. The bolts are rounding off when I just tried to see the condition of them and if I could get a wrench on them firmly. I’m planning on just cutting that stuff out and replacing with new so I don’t have to mess with it. Thanks for the advice, buddy.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:59 AM

Out with the truck now doing the CV axle replacement. I’m sure this is, but I want to double check. Is this play normal?

P.S. I LOVE how we can post videos on the internet with HD cameras of symptoms and have the world see and help diagnose. It’s truly amazing.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 AM

Please let us know what you find, and any other part numbers that might be correct for IFS. Thanks.
The correct wheel seal is the Beck/Arnley 052-3487

RockAuto has it for like $20.

The dealer gave me the part number in the above post which is wrong for my truck. It has 8 mounting holes where I need 7.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:05 AM

While I’m at it. NAPA sells a lower front ball joint for this truck which DOESN’T fit. I ordered a correct one from RockAuto again.

The stem doesn’t press all the way into the lower wishbone and the body doesn’t sit all the way into the knuckle. See pictures. These bolts are fully torqued.

NAPA part number is 104188.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise over bumps - I can’t find what’s doing it!