Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

"Click", like a switch and the valve tapping disappears...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Click", like a switch and the valve tapping disappears...

Hi guys, I've had way too much time on my hands lately and have been paying way too much attention to my truck. The problem is I don't really know anything about it, so I absolutely love this place (I was able to rebuild my carb and help with the hg repair thx to this site).

Anyhow, I've been trying to figure out why my valves have been tapping while cold lately. I'm happy to just assume that this is what the 22R is supposed to sound like, except I just don't remember it tapping so loudly prior to rebuilding my carb last week and also the entire truck, including the engine, only has 34k original miles on it. So it shouldn't be too loud, I wouldn't think.

Anyhow, I decided to adjust my choke a little today to get it back to the standard 2 pumps at cold start and noticed something. Starting cold, I'm getting the usual chain noise and valve tapping with the high idle. After about 4-5 minutes the high idle kicked down to low idle and the tapping and chain noise was still there. Then after about 10 minutes of idling (while I was trying to fix the rattle in my seat belt assembly), I happened to be standing in front of my engine while it was nearly all the way warmed up and I heard a very distinct "CLICK" like a switch was flipped and all of a sudden the engine smoothed out, the tapping AND chain noise stopped and nothing but a smooth idle. This is what it usually sounds like when warm, but I'd never noticed the instantaneous transition. What is this "CLICK"? Is that normal, or did I screw up the carb job? Seems like if it has the ability to idle smoother at the flip of some switch.

Sorry I'm such a noob, this could be normal...

Edit: 1987 22R 4x4 Fresh Mobil One 10w30 K&N Filter 50 degrees out

Last edited by saltandgranite; 04-06-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM

I can think of 2 things. Maybe your chain tensioner is getting stuck and that is what the click is, or maybe your EGR valve may be sticking or the solenoid. I am a 22re guy so not sure of the electrics on the 22r.

I would go through the vacuum stuff on the engine that is connected to a solenoid valve. I know that when the crank case/top end is not venting properly these engine make a racket.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
I can think of 2 things. Maybe your chain tensioner is getting stuck and that is what the click is, or maybe your EGR valve may be sticking or the solenoid. I am a 22re guy so not sure of the electrics on the 22r.

I would go through the vacuum stuff on the engine that is connected to a solenoid valve. I know that when the crank case/top end is not venting properly these engine make a racket.
Thanks for the suggestions. A chain tensioner can get stuck?