Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Charcoal Canister.. please explain

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charcoal Canister.. please explain

hey guys and gals..

So.. as some may know, I have been battling high CO levels and failing emissions... replaced and repaired just about everything under the hood..inlcuding a rebuild 8 months ago...

so heres my question.. WHAT DOES THE CHARCOAL CANISTER DO?? Here is why I ask... aside from failing emissions, my idle has been jumpy and inconsistant.. Last night I found a big hole in the hose that runs from the top of the canister, around the back of the engine, and connects onto a line (marked a/c..tvv).. (reading off the vaccuum diagram on hood).. I replaced the hose but didnt feel much difference... Was this hole causing me problems?

ALSO.... the hose that runs OUT OF THE BOTTOM of the charcoal canister..WHERE DOES IT GO???? I followed it and it seems to just be hanging out below, doest connect to anything... Is this right? Would these issues cause the high CO levels and jumpy idle?

anything you can offer is appreciated...

Neal
Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Part of your EVAP system:

EVAPORATIVE CONTROLS

Gasoline evaporates quite easily. In the past, these evaporative emissions were vented into the atmosphere. 20% of all HC emissions from the automobile are from the gas tank. In 1970 legislation was passed, prohibiting venting of gas tank fumes into the atmosphere. An evaporative control system was developed to eliminate this source of pollution. The function of the fuel evaporative control system is to trap and store evaporative emissions from the gas tank and carburetor. A charcoal canister is used to trap the fuel vapors. The fuel vapors adhere to the charcoal, until the engine is started, and engine vacuum can be used to draw the vapors into the engine, so that they can be burned along with the fuel/air mixture. This system requires the use of a sealed gas tank filler cap. This cap is so important to the operation of the system, that a test of the cap is now being integrated into many state emission inspection programs. Pre-1970 cars released fuel vapors into the atmosphere through the use of a vented gas cap. Today with the use of sealed caps, redesigned gas tanks are used. The tank has to have the space for the vapors to collect so that they can then be vented to the charcoal canister. A purge valve is used to control the vapor flow into the engine. The purge valve is operated by engine vacuum. One common problem with this system is that the purge valve goes bad and engine vacuum draws fuel directly into the intake system. This enriches the fuel mixture and will foul the spark plugs. Most charcoal canisters have a filter that should be replaced periodically. This system should be checked when fuel mileage drops.

That saved a lot of typing, but I must give credit where credit is due: http://www.familycar.com/CLASSROOM/emission.htm
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
When going for a fill up- when opening the fuel cap- pressure is let out. Is this normal?
Old 04-22-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by davefarr
When going for a fill up- when opening the fuel cap- pressure is let out. Is this normal?
yes...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, it seems especially noticeable after fully emptying the tank.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM

happens when you drain a tank. its just the fuel pump sucking fuel out of a vacuum
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 AM

thanks guys... What is the best way to clean a canister?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 AM

Hope changing mine will help with my emission test