86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

CB Radio Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
CB Radio Installed

So I spent the entire afternoon installing this... ( I had a ton of running around to do. I sat in frickin home depot for an hour looking for a part, then came home and figured out I didn't have the saw zall, so I had to drive and get that ) but in reality, it only took me an hour or so once I had everything.

I copied this EXACT set up:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...inside-183480/

Parts used:
Cobra 19 DX IV 40-Channel Compact CB Radio
Firestik 3 Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Antenna Spring
FireStik FL4-B Four Foot FireFly antenna with tuneable tip (Black)
FireStik MK-204R Adjustable "SS" Door Jamb Antenna Mount Mini-K

All bought from amazon.com

I mounted the radio itself to the ash tray. It was a fairly easy install, Ripped apart the bottom part of my dash, pulled the ash tray out, and the middle dash piece, took measurements, busted out the saw and went crazy on it.

I'll get some pictures of what everything looks like when its not dark out
Old 11-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Waiting for the pics....

Anyhow, do yourself a little favor and make sure the CB itself is very well grounded to the chassis and get yourself a VSWR meter and tune the antenna. If you channel flip, tune to the middle of the CB band- channel 19. If you dedicate to one channel, tune to that.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 PM

haha dude, you're gonna have to speak english to me on that one. Im just now getting into the whole CB radio thing. So yeah. No idea what you just said to me explain please. heh
Old 11-11-2009, 04:36 PM

Sorry. I work on cellular / mobile phone / microwave sites.

Your radio sends out a certain amount of power on different frequencies, a.k.a. "channels". For the best signal, the antenna should be optimized (tuned) for the frequency you use. That's why I said if you are going to be using different channels, tune it on channel 19 (19 is in the middle of the frequencies that CB radio uses) and if you're going to be primarily using one channel tune it to that channel.

What the VSWR meter does is help you tune the antenna. There is a lot of theory and technical stuff about forward and reflected waves but what you want is as little reflected wave as possible which means you are transmitting as much signal out of the antenna as possible.

In operation, you connect the VSWR meter as close as possible to the CB and use it to help tune the antenna. The meter has a knob and a switch and your antenna should have a screw in the top end of it, under the rubber cap. You put the switch in FWD position then after putting the CB on the desired channel, you would press the mic button like you were going to talk (but DO NOT MAKE ANY NOISE!), then turn the knob until the needle points at "1", then move the switch to REV. If the needle doesn't stay at or near "1", you turn the screw on the antenna in or out (which changes the 'effective' length of the antenna) and repeat those steps until the needle moves as little as possible when you move the switch from FWD to REV. Once the antenna is tuned, you remove the VSWR meter from the circuit and you're done.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-11-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Oh alrighty. So in reality, I need a VSWR meter. what about one of those speakers to help hear everything thats going on?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM

In reality, you don't need a VSWR meter (Firestik does a good job tuning their antennas in the shop) but they don't tune it with the spring in place so tuning the system can make a noticible difference in how far you are able to talk.

External speakers are great if you can't hear the built in one, which you'll likely find out that you can't since it's mounted down low and faces the floorboard.
I've seen people with stereo's that have 'aux' inputs wire the stereo to play the CB through the stereo speakers.

Last edited by abecedarian; 11-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM

I do have a rather expensive stereo. Wiring is not my strongest point. I can put stuff together, but when it comes down to wiring, i get lost. I'll looking into an external speaker. where can i get a VSWR meter?
Old 11-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Most truck stops carry them, and I think Radio Shack does too, or at least they used to.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:48 PM

If you have to install an external speaker for the CB, I suggest mounting it as high as possible or in a position that is unobstructed to your ears so you can keep the volume down as low as possible while still being able to hear it clearly.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:55 PM

wouldn't my dash be a good place for it? i was gonna put it on the far left of the dash
Old 11-11-2009, 05:14 PM

On the dash, left of the gauges? Yeah, that's fine.
But please don't take my word as being the absolute best place for it. What I was trying to say was put it where you can hear it. I'm not in your truck and I'm not you so where I might put it could be different from where you do.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Most truck stops carry them, and I think Radio Shack does too, or at least they used to.
they do, i work there
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM

I am flattered that you referenced my install thread! I hope it helped you out!
Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by lovetharunner
It was a good thread. Be proud.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by That Guy
they do, i work there
Thanks for the affirmation. I wasn't sure since I haven't been to an RS for CB equipment in years. The last time was to buy some copper wire, insulated eye's, and coax to make a half wave dipole for a CB base, and that was in 1983... and I was thirteen.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks for the affirmation. I wasn't sure since I haven't been to an RS for CB equipment in years. The last time was to buy some copper wire, insulated eye's, and coax to make a half wave dipole for a CB base, and that was in 1983... and I was thirteen.
oops. just remembered-
Actually was in 1989 when I bought a co-phase harness and fender / ball antenna mounts for my 82 dodge rampage "truck".
Old 11-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by lovetharunner
haha its a sick location for the CB radio and antenna its a nice clean install. but instead of using Plumbers tape. I used velcro that way I can take it out and such whenever I would like to. and its ROCK solid... its doesnt move what so ever.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 AM

I wonder if it's legal to talk on a CB while driving or if they'd give you a cell phone ticket under VC 23123?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:03 AM

It was a good thread. Be proud.
Wow, thats a real compliment coming from abecedarian! On a separate note, I ended up wiring my CB output into my head unit using the auxiliary line. That way I can hear my CB though my stereo. Works great but still trying to get rid of some alternator static.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
haha its a sick location for the CB radio and antenna its a nice clean install. but instead of using Plumbers tape. I used velcro that way I can take it out and such whenever I would like to. and its ROCK solid... its doesnt move what so ever.
Velcro huh? Well thats a good idea... never thought of that. Dude you are going to have to hook up the pictures! I wanna see your work!

Quick Reply: CB Radio Installed