86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cant start when I depress clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant start when I depress clutch pedal

I repaced the slave cylinder & the clutch master cylinder, & bled them both now when I depress the clutch pedal it wont turn over, I have to press the clutch button on the dashboard to start it, what did I forget to do ??? its a 1989 pick-up, 22 RE, 5 speed ,4 wheel drive

Last edited by chicagopetedagreek1; 06-20-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:27 AM

This may sound stupid, but I do it alot.. Are you sure that your foot is pressed in all the way? cause mine will not make a noice or anything if it is not completley pressed in...
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a bit confused with your question. You say it won't turn over, does that mean the starter engages the flywheel but won't turn the engine over, or is the starter not doing anything? If its the second one, check your neutral start switch.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Might need to adjust MC push rod.

:wabbit2:
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM

if it will start when you press the clutch cancel button then something is wrong with the safety switch, either like Wabbit said, the pushrod might need to be adjusted, or the switch could be bad or just unplugged
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 89yota22repower
This may sound stupid, but I do it alot.. Are you sure that your foot is pressed in all the way? cause mine will not make a noice or anything if it is not completley pressed in...
allmost put my foot & pedal thru the floor, thats not it !!
Old 06-20-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
I'm a bit confused with your question. You say it won't turn over, does that mean the starter engages the flywheel but won't turn the engine over, or is the starter not doing anything? If its the second one, check your neutral start switch.
where would the neutral start switch be ? I might have disconnected it without realizing it, dont remember seeing one, if thats not it I"ll try the master cylinder pushrod ..Thanks to all..Pete
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The clutch switch is near the pivot point on the clutch pedal assembly. Sort of above the fuse box in the drivers kick panel. It may need adjusting.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Its acctaully better to start a manual vehicle with the cancel switch. Its there for one main reason... to save clutch life. I start my truck every time if frive it without pushing the clutch and the clutch it my truck has 110k miles on it and still just great. Use it ^_^

x2 on damaged... improperly adjusted... possibley unplugged neutral saftey switch.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The clutch switch is near the pivot point on the clutch pedal assembly. Sort of above the fuse box in the drivers kick panel. It may need adjusting.
I removed the pushrod by feel, & when removing it I must have unpluged , or ripped a wire out, its been 95 the last three days, and today its raining, I"ll have to check tomorrow...I"ll bet thats what it is...Thanks, Pete
Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
Its acctaully better to start a manual vehicle with the cancel switch. Its there for one main reason... to save clutch life. I start my truck every time if frive it without pushing the clutch and the clutch it my truck has 110k miles on it and still just great. Use it ^_^

x2 on damaged... improperly adjusted... possibley unplugged neutral saftey switch.
thats true, but I"d like to keep everything working, so I dont get stuck somewhere, because the fuse blew for the clutch cancel switch...with my luck it would be in the middle of a busy intersection during rush hour...Thanks, Pete
Old 06-21-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^--- I could see where that might be a slight issue ^_^
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Deja Vu! This was just discussed, Terry, remember? I posted up picks for them of the clutch depress button...

Name:  002-24.jpg
Views: 10400
Size:  153.9 KB
Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu

I'm curious what makes you think it's better for the vehicle? The clutch wears while partially engaged, all the way either way there isn't much if any wear going on. Start the truck in neutral, clutch down and there's an ever so tiny bit of drag turning only the input shaft of the trans. Clutch life is based on more than just that. Shoot, this week alone I've replaced two 110,000 miles stock clutches (1 Kia, 1 Acura). I've also seen cars with 200k on the stock clutch. All in how/where you drive. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering what made you draw that conclusion.

FWIW, I usually bypass clutch switches in my own car just because I don't like the extra step during startup.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
LOL...I remember that Mark. I wasnt sure which thread it was on. It was raining or I would of taken a pic of it too. Was it 92s thread??
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with TrikeKid, I really don't see how just simply starting your car is going to save or kill your clutch, sure the clutch disc will engage the flywheel when letting off the pedal with the engine spinning but I don't believe that will be the difference of thousands of miles. 110k on a stock clutch is not that unheard of, if you know how to drive, realistically you should be getting that.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure, Terry... can't remember. Don't think it was Jerry tho.. Hmmmm, OLD PICKLED CABBAGE IN MY HEAD.... eh chem, I mean "my brain is tired", ...

Btw, I had 152K Miles on my OEM Aisin Clutch when I replaced it..... Still had QUITE A BIT of life left in it... Maybe 20K.

I use it, the clutch start cancel, quite often..... Not ALWAYS, just often. Always a convenience thing for me, really. Very often, I'm rushing out and I have to warm it up... So, I just pop that in and start it, ....without having to get in the rig, .... then finish up stuff before I leave while it's warming up. Nothing like those switches, etc., have broken on me..... More like hidden things like the Back Window Relay(intermittent, not too often, but ALWAYS, of course, at the worst time! HAHA).... C.O.R. relays.... But, ... I HAVE seen that cancel switch cause a guy on here like 3 days chasing his tail, all because that switch fried. OH, and also; I think one reason mine is still fine is cuz, well, .... I never used it until around 240K! hahaha. I knew it was there, originally.. JUST TOTALLY forgot about it, ya know? haha.

PS> I believe they tie to that cancel switch when installing 'keyless ignition' in our years, right?

Ok, tangent over.... sorry, haha.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:50 PM

how true...berore I replaced the slave & mastr I thought my clutch was gone...I bought a new clutch & after dropping the trans. I saw that the only problem was the throw out bearing...the clutch had 179000 miles on it & it looked like the brand new clutch I bought...almost no wear at all !!!...the previous owner (bought it new in 89) mostly only used the clutch for 1st & reverse, as I have since I bought it 6 years ago with 132000 miles on it, I almost felt like putting the original clutch back in it, I replaced all the differential & trans. fluids with synthetic & I think this truck could run for another 5000000 miles.....only problem is I might fall thru the floor boards before that....its realy rusty,....but realy TRUSTY...Pete
Old 06-21-2012, 10:56 PM

I thought I might chime in with the "not using the clutch to save wear" subject..... large truck drivers avoid using the clutch because their new drivers dont know how to use one...... if you keep your RPMs low and dont rev the crap out of the motor while shifting gears. you will get way more then 110k on a clutch.. I am thinking closer to 160 without too much thought

now if all you do is crawl around in the rocks all day burning up your clutch... get an auto and dont use a clutch at all

*waits to hear from the MPG police that standards are better
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2big4arunner
I thought I might chime in with the "not using the clutch to save wear" subject..... large truck drivers avoid using the clutch because their new drivers dont know how to use one...... if you keep your RPMs low and dont rev the crap out of the motor while shifting gears. you will get way more then 110k on a clutch.. I am thinking closer to 160 without too much thought

now if all you do is crawl around in the rocks all day burning up your clutch... get an auto and dont use a clutch at all

*waits to hear from the MPG police that standards are better
Big truck drivers don't use the clutch while shifting because heavy duty truck clutches have a very high pedal effort, combined with a long throw, you'd flat wear out your left leg in short order using the clutch for every shift in a 13 speed. I've had many pickups (including my 86) that I shift without the clutch, once you get a feel for it and get used to rev matching shifting 1-5 and back down without the clutch is cake.

Last edited by TrikeKid; 06-23-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply: cant start when I depress clutch pedal