Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cant figure out my Cruise Control - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant figure out my Cruise Control - HELP!

Hi Guys,

When I bought my truck ('94 V6, 5Spd 4x4 SR5) almost a year ago, it had an intermitent problem with the cruise control. When I would hit a good-sized bump, the cruise would turn itself off. I would have to accelerate back to speed and reset it. Over the time, the size of the bump that would turn it off got smaller.

At that time I assumed that the culprit was some sort of a shock sensor - some cars have these to turn off the cruise (and sometimes fuel pump) in the event of an accident. I posted on this forum asking where the sensor was and was told that there is no such thing on my truck and that I needed to check the pedal switches.

Over time the problem got worse, to the point now that I have to hit the set button 10 times before CC goes on and it turns itself off at random intervals; to the point today that I could not even get the thing to set!

Facing an upcoming 1500 road trip, I tore into my pedal area. I found the clutch had 2 button siwtches (one for the starter cut-off, another for the CC), then found the button on the handbrake. I was not able to find a dedicated CC button on the brake pedal - looks like there is one master switch ?

In any case, I tested the switches on the handbrake and on the clutch - the switches work fine. Just to make sure, I unplugged them to test - no change.

The problem has gotten so bad that my CC wont turn on now! Where else should I look? Is there a good electrical diagram somewhere that shows how the thing works??

Thanks,

T
Old 08-15-2009, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently had a problem with the CC on my 1992 3VZE 5 speed. It would not engage. I have the service manual, and looked through the section on the CC. To me, it was enormounsly complicated. You need to look over this section of the service manual. There is an online version of it, but I don't recall the URL.

That said, at least for my model there is a CC ECU in the kick panel on the driver side door. I needed to remove the plastic trim piece below the one that houses the fuse box. There is a connector that can be unplugged and the various switches can be tested. This process is described in the manual, in the Body Electrical section.

Start with the simple things, like the switches. I wasted time checking the components under the hood. Turns out the clutch switch was just not quite being depressed enough by the pedal, as my free play was not quite right after I installed my new clutch.

Good luck.