86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a/c troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a/c troubleshoot

I have been searching all of the posts listed, and I cant seem to find the answer. I have a 94 p/u 22re ( with 134a )that I have owned since 98.
I first tried the a/c in april, worked fine, then sometime in may it just stopped working. I first tried to recharge it but the gauge was showing in the red. Next I checked the compressor cluth, not turning. i fixed that problem Dirty relay plug. I put the recharge gauge on an it was low, so I charged it.
everything seems to be working correctly but still no cold.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bll3601
I have been searching all of the posts listed, and I cant seem to find the answer. I have a 94 p/u 22re ( with 134a )that I have owned since 98.
I first tried the a/c in april, worked fine, then sometime in may it just stopped working. I first tried to recharge it but the gauge was showing in the red. Next I checked the compressor cluth, not turning. i fixed that problem Dirty relay plug. I put the recharge gauge on an it was low, so I charged it.
Greetings,
Hold one, I have to think where it's at! Brain Fart! Ok! Open your hood! In the middle, Ah, yes, heater control valve, real simple, put your AC to cold and make sure your valve is all the way over, they stretch, usually you can gain about 15 degrees by re-adjusting the cable and making sure that it's all the way on the cold side! Next, make sure that your idle up is working correctly, w/the AC on it should idle roughly between 950 - 1050 if not on the left side, (the left side being the pass. side.) there's a idle up screw, (layman's terms) VSV for techies, turn that bad boy up, can't miss it!, (Big white SCREW!)
Make sure that your not overcharged! It's just as bad as being undercharged!
The best way to diagnose it is to put a proper set of gauges on and see the true readings! I think you overcharged/or the evap. or something isn't correct! Don't forget to check your coolant, also, very important! Low coolant! No Coolie! A few more things, make sure that your compressor's a turning, your idle up is set, your coolant is full, your heater control valve is set, your evep/condesor is not obstructed, and your drain tube is not blocked! I go w/overcharging!
That's right Alex, Overcharging for $100.00!
"That;s right Alex, sometime in April, my A/C was working fine & then in May it got Hot, so I overcharged it because I thought that it was , not knowing it was low on coolant and not knowing my condensor was obstructed!"
I'm only kidding, take no offense! I'm just joking!
Take Care! Let ne know how ya make out!
Old 08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
note to self: find this heater control valve that you speak of.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:24 AM

I found the problem..

I figured it out. it was low on coolant so i flushed and refilled it. I turned up the heater control valve and started getting somewhat cold from the a/c.
It still shows a little low when I put the gauge on it but I dont want to overcharge it. I am going to go have it put on a vacuum and see if there are any leaks.
Thank for the help.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by bll3601
Where exactly was the relay you cleaned?
Old 08-21-2006, 07:49 AM

Where is this heater control valve?
Old 08-22-2006, 06:05 AM

the heater control valve is on the firewall of my '87 22re. It is in the top middle of the firewall and has a cable going to it from the HVAC cluster. The valve has heater hoses going to it. Mine was stuck on heat.....