Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C issue. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C issue. Need advice.

94 3.0 4x4 auto Runner.

Had no freon. add freon and it starts working (clutch engages).

Revved engine and clutch disengages and does not engage again.

Checked fuse behind glove box and its good.

I'm stumped. Cant find any reason for it to stop. It was just starting to get cold.

Any Ideas?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Sounds like just a bad leak; hence why there was no freon in it to begin with. Once the pressure got too low (probably coincidently when you revved the motor), it won't turn the compressor back on. Have you checked the pressure in the system yet?
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Yes checked pressure and system is holding.

The kid I bought it from said it had never worked and he had it for 4 years.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you let it sit a while with the a/c off, will it start working again?
Old 04-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like pressure issues, but maybe the compressor is bad, or just the clutch on it.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:21 AM

check for 12 volts at the compressor, engine running, high idle. if you have power there, either your clutch is bad or the clutch gap is too wide. if you dont have power there, back up until you do find power.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You either have a leak or a restriction in the system.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If it sat uncharged for a long time maybe there's water in the system and it freezes up the expansion valve. Was the system open at any time? If so, you need to replace the dryer/filter and pull a vacuum on the system before recharging. Did you convert to R134?
Old 04-26-2008, 07:18 AM

Does it blow cold air when the clutch is engaged? Did you put a vacuum on it before you charged it with refrigerant? What kind of refrigerant was used? If system was empty, your receiver dryer should have been replaced, system lubricant added, thermal expansion valve (most likely) replaced and vacuum applied and leak checked before being charged.

With out answers to the above questions I am in agreement with mt_goat.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 AM

Does it blow cold air when the clutch is engaged? Did you put a vacuum on it before you charged it with refrigerant? Yes, it started to get cold as we were charging it. No.

If you let it sit a while with the a/c off, will it start working again? No, It hasn't worked since I revved the engine.

you need to replace the dryer/filter and pull a vacuum on the system before recharging. Did you convert to R134?
Where is the dryer/filter? It was R134 from the factory.

Thanks for all of the input guys. BTW, how do you "pull a vaccuum?
Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check the fuse for the condenser fan. mine was not recieving a negative charge from the battery so i had to add another relay.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:14 AM

Vacuum pump.

When an AC system sits empty due to a leak the reciever/dryer will absorb moisture from the ambient air and become saturated and cease to function when coolant is introduced again. With out this drying effect water can freeze in the line and block the system.

The bigger issue is that the system has been empty. The reason for this should be resolved first, most likely a leak. If you spend $ to replace the dryer it will be in vane.

I suggest reading up on how the AC system works. They are fairly easy to work on once you get how it works and what the parts are.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by luxdlx
Where is the dryer/filter? It was R134 from the factory.
Sorry its actually called the receiver, its up front behind the grill, next to the condensor. This should help:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...ditioning.html

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...13receiver.pdf

Last edited by mt_goat; 04-26-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:42 AM

Theres also the chance you burnt up your compressor because there was no oil in it. if thats the case, you just contaminated every part of your system, and parts have to be changed and everything flushed out. a/c is just like everything else. you can half a** it, or do it right. and i dont mean to sound like a jerk. putting an empty sysem under vacuum is critical for proper operation. i'm not overly familiar with toyota a/c, but all automotive air pretty much operates the same. you need to start over. get that refridgerent out, and the PC way of doing this is to go to your local shop and have them pull it out. replace the reciever/dryer, like someone has already mentioned. while you are at it you may want to change out the orifice tube/expansion valve(not sure what toyota uses). then go back to your new found friend at the local garage, have him charge it for you. he will put it under vacuum before her charges it. unless you buy some expensive equipment, or know someone who has a vaccuum pump and manifold gauges, this is best left to someone with the proper equipment.

as stated above, placing your system under vacuum removes all the moisture from the system, and from my own personal experience, without a vacuum the pressures within the system get crazy high.(bad)

unfortunatly it is legal for anyone to buy r134a. but air conditioning is not just a matter of filling up the system with some magical chemical to make it work. unfortunatly they dont tell you on the kit that you can buy from wal-mart that you need to fill your system with the recommended amount of oil, vacuum the system, and fill it with the proper amount. you cant do this properly(notice i said properly) with a can and a hose with cute little gauge that has undercharged on one side, and overcharged on the other side.

im not trying to come off like a jerk, you can "redneck" your system and make it work. and yes i have done it, im not innocent by any stretch. but as far as vaccum, and charge, take it to someone. you can hang all the parts on it, thats not really too hard.

always remeber this - there is a logical explanation as to why the system was empty. freon wont leave the system by means of osmosis. it most likely leaked out, and you still have a leak.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ssupercoolss
Theres also the chance you burnt up your compressor because there was no oil in it. if thats the case, you just contaminated every part of your system, and parts have to be changed and everything flushed out. a/c is just like everything else. you can half a** it, or do it right. and i dont mean to sound like a jerk. putting an empty sysem under vacuum is critical for proper operation. i'm not overly familiar with toyota a/c, but all automotive air pretty much operates the same. you need to start over. get that refridgerent out, and the PC way of doing this is to go to your local shop and have them pull it out. replace the reciever/dryer, like someone has already mentioned. while you are at it you may want to change out the orifice tube/expansion valve(not sure what toyota uses). then go back to your new found friend at the local garage, have him charge it for you. he will put it under vacuum before her charges it. unless you buy some expensive equipment, or know someone who has a vaccuum pump and manifold gauges, this is best left to someone with the proper equipment.

as stated above, placing your system under vacuum removes all the moisture from the system, and from my own personal experience, without a vacuum the pressures within the system get crazy high.(bad)

unfortunatly it is legal for anyone to buy r134a. but air conditioning is not just a matter of filling up the system with some magical chemical to make it work. unfortunatly they dont tell you on the kit that you can buy from wal-mart that you need to fill your system with the recommended amount of oil, vacuum the system, and fill it with the proper amount. you cant do this properly(notice i said properly) with a can and a hose with cute little gauge that has undercharged on one side, and overcharged on the other side.

im not trying to come off like a jerk, you can "redneck" your system and make it work. and yes i have done it, im not innocent by any stretch. but as far as vaccum, and charge, take it to someone. you can hang all the parts on it, thats not really too hard.

always remeber this - there is a logical explanation as to why the system was empty. freon wont leave the system by means of osmosis. it most likely leaked out, and you still have a leak.
Gee, wow, you don't sound like a jerk at all while you call me a stupid redneck. Its a good thing this site has such smart guys like you to tell us hillbillies how stupid we are. I was asking for advice, not to be apologetically insulted. So kindly piss off, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Last edited by luxdlx; 04-27-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 AM

calm down angry guy. i didnt call you a redneck. and i didnt call you a stupid redneck by any stretch. re-read that sentance and replace the word redneck with, jury-rig.

lets start over. whats the static pressure of the a/c system right now?
is the compressor getting 12 volts to it? if it is, can you spin the clutch on the compressor?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
unfortunatly it is legal for anyone to buy r134a...
Hold up a min...

No it's not; I sell R134a all day in my shop!

It is however harder to get a hold of the older R12, which is not illegal to purchase, but is illegal to release into the air... on purpose... if you have a leak, I guess that would be out of your control

At least that's how the laws are hear in Fl, may be different in other states...
Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 AM

unfortunatly it is legal for anyone to buy r134a...

not trying to break balls here.....re-read.
or maybe i should have said it like this.

unfortunatly it is not illegal for anyone to buy r134a
or
unfortunatly anyone can buy r134a
anyways i think this thread is in the toilet.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:10 AM

calm down angry guy. Um, f you, I only get angry when someone responds to my thread requesting advice like a know-it-all asshat who cant spell i didnt call you a redneck. "im not trying to come off like a jerk, you can "redneck" your system and make it work" Um, OK. unfortunatly(sp) I is not a redneck, just a big dummy who dont know A/C. That is the end of my sentance. (sp)
anyways i think this thread is in the toilet. Yeah, thanks for that. My truck is sitting in the driveway with the A/C system half apart waiting on advice from someone who isn't trying to insult me to make himself feel big. This is why I rarely ever post questions on here. I see alot of tough guy BS on this board. And God help you if the question has already been asked in any shape or form.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:03 AM

okay - i am asking for forgiveness for whatever i did.

now, like i said in my previous post, i'm wanna play nice in the sandbox.

tell me where you are at with this, and what you need to know, and i will do my best to help you.

Quick Reply: A/C issue. Need advice.