Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A/C Condenser Fan Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Condenser Fan Install

Has anyone put an A/C condenser fan into one of these pickup trucks? I am looking to add a fan and relay to help out the A/C low-speed performance.(R134A converted).
I know it's a tight sqeeze between the condenser and the grille but it looks like it might be do-able.
Is the 4Runner fan setup a viable option?

If so, which brand or donor vehicle did you get it from?

Last edited by 69 1/2 Six PAck Bee; 09-05-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What year truck do you have?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:31 AM

Sorry 1990 SR5 4x4
Old 09-05-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 69 1/2 Six PAck Bee
Is the 4Runner fan setup a viable option?

If so, which brand or donor vehicle did you get it from?
That's a good idea and I think it might fit. There isn't much that is different between the early 90s SR5 pickups and 4-runners from the front seats forward. I don't know of anyone that has done it, but maybe no one has thought of it either.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 PM

That's a good idea and I think it might fit. There isn't much that is different between the early 90s SR5 pickups and 4-runners from the front seats forward. I don't know of anyone that has done it, but maybe no one has thought of it eithe
Maybe thats why I haven't found a writeup or tech article anywhere.
I can get a 'runner fan assy. pretty cheap from car-part.com and I can either scrounge around for the factory auxilliary fuse and relay box (the one that sits adjacent to the underhood box) or I can just wire in a run-of-the-mill 30A automotive relay and fuse and hook it up to the A/C "on" circuit. Not the compressor feed. That way it wont cycle on and off with the compressor.

The thing kicks butt but because of the charge I put into it the head pressure gets pretty hi and will cycle the compressor too much because the pressure switch is dropping out the circuit. Damn thing is designed to run on R12 so the hi pressure cutoff is preset for those head pressures.

My experience with this Toy is that I can charge in about 90% of the factory charge but the pressures get a bit hi. Some folks will charge in less gas but the system will not perform up to snuff.

The most viable alternative to remedy this situation at the current time is to put on the aux. fan. If I had to start over I would evacuate the 134A, flush out the PAG and recharge back to R12. I still have about 25 lbs in the jug in my garage (pre-outlaw days) but if it ain't broke...don't break it more.

Thanx,
Bud
Old 09-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Hummmm, you have 25 lbs of R12 and you converted over to R134? Oh well, I'm converting over right now but I have a 2001 Taco AC compressor as part of my 3.4 engine swap. Let us know how it works out for you, good luck!
Old 09-07-2006, 07:41 AM

I bought the truck and it was already converted.

Next summer I'll get ambitious and re-convert it back.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:22 PM

It will work but youll need the 4Runner grill,bumper,head lights,condenser,fan,relays,relay harness.I wanted mine to look original.BTW tell me about that beautiful Super Bee!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bigblock
It will work but youll need the 4Runner grill,bumper,head lights,condenser,fan,relays,relay harness.I wanted mine to look original.BTW tell me about that beautiful Super Bee!
I found this out the hard way. I have a '94 toyota pickup 2wd. I am in the process of installing a condenser fan. It will be an awesome add on. I'm sure you know this truck never came with one, Dorman makes a condenser fan that says it will bolt right up to this truck... It doesn't! Part number: 621-177. The fan is way too thick.. doesn't even bolt right up. ( i can fab some brackets) The major problem is my grille would never go back in with this fan.

There is not much room in there at all to work with. Looks can be very deceiving, Based on my measurements I only have like an 1.5 inches to safely play with... Anybody have any suggestions?

I have a fan shroud and it cools the truck well. Every universal fan attaches directly to the condenser?radiator via zip ties... I don't want this design.

Any suggestions or explanation on what is the best route to take? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by toyotaman2000; 06-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you look at the OME617 diesel swaps they do two electric fans in front of the condenser I think. Something to look into.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by toyotaman2000
I found this out the hard way. I have a '94 toyota pickup 2wd. I am in the process of installing a condenser fan. It will be an awesome add on. I'm sure you know this truck never came with one, Dorman makes a condenser fan that says it will bolt right up to this truck... It doesn't! Part number: 621-177. The fan is way too thick.. doesn't even bolt right up. ( i can fab some brackets) The major problem is my grille would never go back in with this fan.

There is not much room in there at all to work with. Looks can be very deceiving, Based on my measurements I only have like an 1.5 inches to safely play with... Anybody have any suggestions?

I have a fan shroud and it cools the truck well. Every universal fan attaches directly to the condenser?radiator via zip ties... I don't want this design.

Any suggestions or explanation on what is the best route to take? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
I don't like the Universal electric fans either because they just dont look right with the zip ties. The one that you will see in the following pics fit snugly on the radiator.. Just had to make some cuts on the shroud itself with a jigsaw but it was simple to accomplish.
You can do the following:

I am using a '92 Ford Taurus cooling fan $35.00 from the salvage yard that i believe puts out about 2800CFM and i have it wired to the High speed to cool the AC condenser as well..
The Bosch relay kit came from ebay for $25.00
I used to run these on my Mazda RX7

If you use this '92 - '95 Ford Taurus or Mercury Sable fan then you dont need a condenser fan since you can run it hi-speed at 2800 CFM or use the same Dorman condenser fan Part number: 621-177 not in front of the condenser where there is no space but rather behind it between the ac condenser and the radiator. I will be installing the Dorman Condenser Fan Part number: 621-177 just to see if i can make it work and i will post my findings and can post pics in about two weeks. PM me if you like and i will give you my cell number and i will help as much as i can. Zachariah
Here are the pics.

It fits neatly on the Hilux radiator:

Plenty of room or gap i should say:

Last edited by The Jewish Guy; 08-14-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 AM

Exclamation

Today I have been on the phone with Dorman Products and they say that this fan fits the '93 Toyota Pickup but yet when i contacted the Toyota dealer they tell me otherwise...
Toyo dealer said the Hilux pickups did not bring a condenser fan because it only had the fan clutch.

Now the 4Runner did come with a Condenser Fan mounted behind the condenser which would make sense since it does have more clearance space in the Hilux. The 4Runner and Hilux truck are similar and to say that they are both alike that is why you are able to use parts from a 4Runner on your mini.

Dorman as big a corporation that they are were not able to give me specifics so i decided to go to the dealer and the forums didn't have any information either so i believe we can be the first to get this information out to the people.

I am ordering the fan from ebay which i found for $59.00 with Free shipping and will let you know how the install goes but in the meantime i will furnish the following diagram that was given to my by my parts sales rep at the Toyota dealership.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CONDENSER FAN IPC.pdf (110.8 KB, 532 views)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by toyotaman2000

I found a guy on another forum that did use a 4runner ac condenser fan but he also installed a 4runner front grille so now i know now that with a stock Hilux grille it may not fit but here is a pic to share with you and all on this thread.
Tomorrow i will have the better solution because i believe that i found it with an 8" fan that is Low Profile
Attached Thumbnails A/C Condenser Fan Install-image.jpg   A/C Condenser Fan Install-0625011407.jpg  

Last edited by The Jewish Guy; 08-20-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM

The Dorman Products fan Part Number 621-177 will not fit on a Hilux because of the front grille.. you would have to use an SR5 or 4Runner front grille.

But Alas !!!
I found a better solution and here is what it did.. check it out because this was the best fan for what we need..

I installed the best 8" AC Condenser fan money can buy.. it was a simple install.. just had to modify the front grille just a bit and it went in really well.

Fan was $24.00 FREE SHIPPING

I bought it on ebay and the Ebay item# 400322244218

I suggest you get their installation kit for another $4.00

Specifications:

Thickness is approximately 2 1/2 inches.

Flat side to flat side is approximately 9 inches.

Round side to round side is approximately 9 1/2 inches.

CFM is approximately 400 and it draws 4 Amps but I feel it spins closer to 700 CFM

To be mounted in front of the AC Condenser:

This is just a mock up of where it would go:

This is where i had to cut into the grille..

This is after the initial cut with a Dremel tool:

Used the Dremel to grind the remaining material off the back part of the grille:

The front of the grille..Looks great !

The grille sits tight as it should:

I had to modify the bottong screw from Buttonhead screw to countersunk screw for added clearance:

Ready to install fan:

The P ties to secure the fan to the condenser:

This part was grueling..I had to remove the (4) 13mm bolts that hold the radiator so i can have access without having to remove the coolant hoses.. I am a big guy to fit my hand between the Radiator and Condenser to secure the end tabs to Pties.... had alcohol and Hydrogen Peroxide and Neosporin close by:

Way down there:

No words:

Here is the fan all wired up.. The 8" Fan is configured as a Puller because it is supposed to mount on the inside and pulls the air through the condenser. The Polarity can be reversed as a Pusher mounted on the outside or in front of the condenser to push the air through the condenser.

Since we are placing the fan in front of the condenser then you want to set it up as a PUSHER so I did wire it up correctly.

Blue wire to ground and Black wire to Positive (+) Lead.
since the fan is mounted in front of the ac condenser it will be pushing air forward at about 700 CFM and when you are moving or on the Expressway then you it will work even better:

Here is where you connect the Lead Trigger wire to the Positive wire switch that goes from the Harness to the AC Compressor via a Wire tap connector. Just make sure to use P ties to keep the wire from dangling to close to any moving revolving parts.

This is the finished product and it fits great under the '93 Hilux front chrome grille:

Great clearance:

Last edited by The Jewish Guy; 08-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:59 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by The Jewish Guy

I found a guy on another forum that did use a 4runner ac condenser fan but he also installed a 4runner front grille so now i know now that with a stock Hilux grille it may not fit but here is a pic to share with you and all on this thread.
Tomorrow i will have the better solution because i believe that i found it with an 8" fan that is Low Profile
Do you have a link for this install?
Old 08-25-2013, 04:01 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by The Jewish Guy
The Dorman Products fan Part Number 621-177 will not fit on a Hilux because of the front grille.. you would have to use an SR5 or 4Runner front grille.
So an SR5 truck front grille should fit this fan? And was the factory fan mounted in front of the condensor or between? -- sorry a little confused on that one....

Also, would you mind sharing a writeup on how you configured the electrical -- is it an in cabin switch/tied into the AC switch, etc? Just trying to wrap my head around that. From the pics, it looks like you went with some sort of relay setup. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
Do you have a link for this install?
Unfortunately he did not have pics to show the install.
But here is his Build Thread:
http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/bui...lver-toy-9713/

If you want you can go to the 4th page and you will see in post #36 the install of the 4Runner fan
http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/122605-post36.html

This is the fan that he has in it which can fit the Hilux but you would have used an SR5 front grille or modify the hilux grille like i did in the DIY

Here is the actual pic of his 4Runner fan on his Hilux

Last edited by The Jewish Guy; 08-26-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
So an SR5 truck front grille should fit this fan? And was the factory fan mounted in front of the condensor or between? -- sorry a little confused on that one....
The factory fan is mounted in front of the condenser.
You can mount it behind the condenser but you would have to switch the polarity so it will pull instead of push..
I prefer to mount in front of the condenser so it will push and as i am moving on the road or highway it will push even more with the ram air hitting the front.

I am also about to make a radiator cooling panel that will block off the space between the condenser(Radiator Support Panel) and the radiator so the ram air pushing into the car wont disappear thus being contained onto the radiator.

Originally Posted by RSR
Also, would you mind sharing a writeup on how you configured the electrical -- is it an in cabin switch/tied into the AC switch, etc? Just trying to wrap my head around that. From the pics, it looks like you went with some sort of relay setup. Thanks!
Its simple...
Just take the positive lead wire from the condenser fan and connect it to a thick gauge wired fuse holder and then run the wire from the fuse holder to the Grey personality plug that comes from the small harness.. you can use a wire tap thiggamagig ... there is no need to run a relay because it doesn't draw that much current for an 8" fan.. you can run a relay if you want but i don't think that its necessary.
I will try to draw a diagram that may help see things clearer... no problem.. I will try to do it tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:41 PM
RSR

Don't think I need a diagram. So from battery positive to fused wire to fan is what you're doing? And does the fan run all the time then? Or is this tied into your electric radiator fan you posted about?

I'm trying to figure out how's best w/ stock setup and would prefer not to draw power when A/Cs not running...

Do you have a link for that wire package.

Thanks man!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by RSR
Don't think I need a diagram. So from battery positive to fused wire to fan is what you're doing? And does the fan run all the time then? Or is this tied into your electric radiator fan you posted about?

I'm trying to figure out how's best w/ stock setup and would prefer not to draw power when A/Cs not running...

Do you have a link for that wire package.

Thanks man!
No man...this fan is for the AC condenser so you need to clarify your question.
If you need it for the Radiator then that is another thread.

You will not be connecting directly to the battery.
Just connect the blue wire to ground on the radiator support panel since you will be using this fan as a PUSHER fan in front of your condenser.

The Positive or Black wire from fan will connect to a fuse holder
The Fuse holder will connect to the personality plug that is to your left if facing the motor that comes from the Harness.
Just look over the photos and you will see what i am referring to...

Here is my makeshift diagram.

Last edited by The Jewish Guy; 08-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Quick Reply: A/C Condenser Fan Install