86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bumpstop Tech for SAS'ed Yota?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bumpstop Tech for SAS'ed Yota?

Hey guys, looking to upgrade my tire size to 37's soon and I know i'm gonna have to bump-stop.

Can anyone recommend some bump-stops that I can daily on, as well as trail ride and rock crawl?

Will the black pyramid style bump stops be OK? I rode in a buddies and they were stiff as ˟˟˟˟ when he bottomed out just steady cruising on a dirt road. Or is it more worth my time to get some cheap nitrogen style bump-stops (preferably the ones under $200 from Day star or something)
Old 06-07-2016, 06:58 PM

bump.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:34 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
he must have a pretty soft suspension, to be bottoming out an sas'd truck on a dirt road... maybe the tires weren't aired down?

what are you driving? heavy 4runner or shortbed pickup? how many leaves in the rear springs?

i have these daystars on all 4 corners, i went with something that looked like it had a collapsible resistance to pressure: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...led-pic-55453/

haven't really put it to a hardcore crawling test yet, tho.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by osv
he must have a pretty soft suspension, to be bottoming out an sas'd truck on a dirt road... maybe the tires weren't aired down
Well I guess its kinda soft, mine is somewhat soft too, his tires were medium aired down, it was also a heavy-ish runner

Originally Posted by osv
what are you driving? heavy 4runner or shortbed pickup? how many leaves in the rear springs?
I have an excab pickup steel bumpers, winch, sliders. Not sure how many leaves, but its about 5 id say? I have the 4" AllPro leafs.

Originally Posted by osv
i have these daystars on all 4 corners, i went with something that looked like it had a collapsible resistance to pressure: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/d...led-pic-55453/

haven't really put it to a hardcore crawling test yet, tho.
I think those are the bumpstops I am gonna go for in the end, but I had a diferent idea. I was going to build a plate to hold the bumpstop and mount it to the ubolt plate and then weld on bumpstop extensions to the top.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM
osv

there are a lot of different ways to mount 'em, i welded a box stock piece onto the frame, then mounted the daystar to that with bolts... the stop hits the flat ubolt plate under compression.

jack the corner all the way up until it's fully stuffed... then measure the total distance, stuffed and at rest, and calculate how much clearance you want until the bump stop makes first contact with the stop... i have maybe a 2-2.5' gap there, i was able to test the front at full stuff after installing the stops, it looks to stuff nearly as far as it did before the stops went in.

remember that the axle will rotate around, and be at a different vertical orientation when stuffed.

you'll almost certainly have to cut the rear wheels out with 37's, that's where i'm at right now... it's complicated.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 AM

I doctored up a couple Daystar bump stops for my humble 2WD pickup that are working much better than the stock ones that wore out. If you search the Daystar offerings, maybe you can find something that will work, probably with a little modification. The bump stops may not be specifically for a Toyota, look for something that will work, regardless of what vehicle the stops are for.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:09 AM
osv

Originally Posted by GorgeRunner
I doctored up a couple Daystar bump stops for my humble 2WD pickup that are working much better than the stock ones that wore out.
those bump stops look like they have the same sort of variable shock absorption capability than mine have, just on a smaller scale... i like what daystar does with these bump stops.

you surf up there? i heard that it gets pretty heavy... i still go out at the oceanside harbor, i remember the local pros from the late 70's/early '80's; buran, triebel, barr, etc... witt still has the carlsbad pipelines shop, and i think that barbie still runs offshore surf shop.

i never knew any of those pros, although i did go to baja once with triebel... met him years later via one of my buddies, we launched my zodiac at this giant estuary in baja, had to hop out and float it over a 100 yards of shallow water and sand, motored out to todos santos, man that place really picks up a swell.