Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Broken ABS Speed Sensor, need help

Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken ABS Speed Sensor, need help

While trying to replace my rear ABS speed sensor, the damn thing broke in half, with part of it still stuck in the diff, how should I go about removing this broken piece? And is there a better way to remove these? I have to remove the other one from my parts truck, and I don't want to break that one either, those things are tight!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM

Use a long wood screw, heat it up with a propane torch, using some vice grips screw the hot screw into the sensor being careful not to put too much force on it. The heat helps it bite into the plastic. Then take a break for about a half an hour to let it cool. The use the vice grips to try and yank it out.

It does help to use a small amount of penetrating lube on it, it helps to lube the oring and allow it to come out.

I have used this method quite a few times to remove rear ABS sensors, and Crankshaft Position Sensors that have decided to break off. It worked on all but one of them.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 PM

Thanks, I'll try that this next weekend. What about removing the good one, should i use two small pry bars on opposite sides and try lifting it out? Does it help to spin it? I do not want to damage the good one. and what about when installing? is it ok to hit it with a hammer? maybe put some rags over it to help cushion?

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:49 PM

Ok when removing the sensors use a little bit of PB blaster to get under the sensor and lube the Oring. Use a twisting motion twisting it back and forth while pulling up. A small screwdriver under the tab where the bolt goes through with some light pressure can sometimes help.

When putting the new one in, apply some dielectric grease around the oring, and use a twisting motion to install it. DO NOT HIT WITH HAMMER! There is very sensitive magnets in the sensor that react to the tone ring inside the differential. When it is turning it creates a frequency, depending on that particular system it bases wheel speed on either frequency, RMS voltage, or amplitude of the sine wave, or square wave.

One thing that is almost worse than having a dead sensor, is having one with intermittent problems. It can cause ABS activation under normal braking, and if you have never experienced that it will scare the heck out of you when it happens. Me it puts a smile on my face anymore, but that is how I make money, and I already know there is a problem so I am expecting it!

With any type of speed sensor patience and finesse wins out. When doing suspension work then by all means break out the prybars and the BFH. If it is ultra stubborn then you may have to pull the 3rd member and try to drive it out. But if you have to use plenty of penetrating lube to break up any corrosion.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM

Oh and one more thing, make sure you clean the mounting surface really good. Rust buildup can literally lift the sensor upward and away from the tone ring. The voltage and frequency output is changed based on the proximity of the magnets and tone ring. So the air gap is crucial to proper operation. Use a small cloth or blue towel and shove it in the hole to keep debris from entering the differential. Then use some sand paper, scotch bright pad, or a fine file to clean the mounting surface. Blow off all the debris and pull the rag out.

Once the old one is out, the new one will be relatively easy to get in.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:57 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Might be helpful if you posted pics of how and where it broke. Also it's good form to stay in a single thread for a single issue (Original thread is here, w/ vehicle info)

At the risk of stateing the obvious.. You took the bolt out before you started trying to get that off right?

Here is a photo of the magnetic sensor.
http://images.wrenchead.com/smartpag..._CONNECTOR.JPG

I got bored of looking for the 4-wheel ABS sensors, they are gear driven and mount at the wheels...

There are threads on by-passing the ABS system should you decide that broken sensor is going to have to stay in that 3rd
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 AM

Thanks Stan! I'll maybe try and make a walk through for others when I get a chance to get under there. For the most part I did most of what you said when trying to remove it, I think i just lost my patience since it was a bad sensor anyways, I thought id just yank it out...oh well, just made the job harder lol!

Thanks again for all your help, i'll post back when im done

and Co_94_Pu, yes I know there was 2 threads, but i felt like that one got answered, and really needs to be deleted. This thread was just for the broken ABS sensor, and what to do. And yes I unscrewed bolt first LOL i've driven it for a while with out ABS, and really don't need it, just really hate when things do not work the way they should...so i'll give it a try to fix it, if it doesn't work...i'll bypass it and move on with my life!