86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

broken 22re timing chain guides

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken 22re timing chain guides

I notice the last few days my engine was making a wired tapping sound.
So yesterday I pulled the valve cover off just like I thought the timing chain guides on the drivers side (left) were busted off. So I was wondering how hard the guides are to replaced? Thanks

Also I think this is good time to go with a kit like this:
http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product0.html
Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM

its not a hard job, but time consuming somewhat. Did you search on here, im sure there are a bunch of threads on this topic. Did the chain eat threw your cover? Your going to also have to drop the oil pan to fish out all the pieces.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by PlugItIn
its not a hard job, but time consuming somewhat. Did you search on here, im sure there are a bunch of threads on this topic. Did the chain eat threw your cover? Your going to also have to drop the oil pan to fish out all the pieces.
Yea I did look on here. Because I thought there would be something. But no luck. I was shocked!!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Also what work is involved with the replacing the guides?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM

Well you have to pull the timing cover off of the front of the engine. It can be done in a weekend. Things like the radiator and all of the belt pulleys all have to be moved out of the way. Then you have to remove the dampener from the front of the crankshaft. I used the torque from the starter motor and a breaker bar against the frame-rail to help with this. Then the oil and water pumps must be taken off. And then the timing cover can be removed. Take a good look at your timing cover to make sure the chain didn't eat through the side of the coolant port. While you are in there here are the parts I would recommend replacing.

1.Timing Chain
2. Chain Guides (dampers)
3. Chain Sprockets
4. Main Oil Seal
5. Tensioner
6. Timing cover gaskets
7. Water pump Gasket
8. Oil-pump O-ring
9. Some good oil-resistant high-temp gasket maker
10. Valve cover gasket, plugs and gromets.

I spent about 500 bones for all of these parts because I went with dealer parts. I think you can get kits from american manufactures for like 90 bucks. Im sure some other guys on here know where to go for that. EngineBuilder kits or something like that. You might want to do the oil and water pumps while you are in there but that is up to you.

Make sure the top of the timing cover seals well against the bottom of the head. The toyota techs said this is a trouble spot.

Dropping the oil pan was a little tricky. I removed the steering stabilizer and had my cousin help me lower the front diff out of the way with his impact wrench. My pan was full of plastic and broken pieces of chain (mine broke, long story). But it was well-worth the work. It only took a couple of hours to do that. If you have a 2wd I think you just have to remove all of the front steering linkage and you are home free.

Here is a write-up that is not too bad on the timing assembly.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
Just do a little research on the topic before you start taking things apart. Then it is pretty simple and straightforward once you start.

Have fun!

Last edited by Chutchman; 04-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:15 PM

Click me

Your going to have your work cut out or you. If that guide broke, you HAVE to drop the front drivetrain to take that oil pan off. You have to clean out all the lil pieces out of it so it doesnt clog the oil pickup screen. The first time i did it, it took me about 7 hours, but that was dropping the oil pan too.

Its fun getting all those rusty mounts off and broke loose...trust me. I heated up the crank pulley and then impacted her off

Last edited by PlugItIn; 04-24-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:21 PM

The truck needs a new water pump anyways.
The Timing chain it has now has only 3k miles on it (The po did replace it and I believe him becuase it looks brand new.
And thanks for the link.

Last edited by small town BIG TOYS; 04-24-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by small town BIG TOYS
The truck needs a new water pump anyways.
The Timing chain it has now has only 3k miles on it (The po did replace it and I believe him becuase it looks brand new.
And thanks for the link.
Im so confused
If he replaced the chain, the guides should of been replaced at the same time, a long with the tensioner. Unless he installed it wrong or something...
Old 04-24-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by PlugItIn
Im so confused
If he replaced the chain, the guides should of been replaced at the same time, a long with the tensioner. Unless he installed it wrong or something...
Who's knows.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Hey I have qustion. Would a dual timing chain setup from a 81 22r bolt in to place on my 90 22re? on my guess is no. But I just want to check.

Last edited by small town BIG TOYS; 04-25-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:13 AM

Bump.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:11 AM

Dual chains require a kit. I don't have info off hand but you should be able to find it on here. Just do a title search for "dual chain" Honestly though if you get steel guides the single row is probably plenty of chain...I think they say 125k for replacing the chain. I wouldn't bother with the dual.

Also, get yourself some Toyota FIPG for this. They have it at the dealer and you want the black kind. Should be 15 bucks or so. That stuff is a miracle sealant. I was in a rush to get my timing kit back together and didn't clean surfaces like I should have. It surely saved my butt... I was thinkin my truck would leak like crazy but not a drop has come out!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by andykrow
Dual chains require a kit. I don't have info off hand but you should be able to find it on here. Just do a title search for "dual chain" Honestly though if you get steel guides the single row is probably plenty of chain...I think they say 125k for replacing the chain. I wouldn't bother with the dual.

Also, get yourself some Toyota FIPG for this. They have it at the dealer and you want the black kind. Should be 15 bucks or so. That stuff is a miracle sealant. I was in a rush to get my timing kit back together and didn't clean surfaces like I should have. It surely saved my butt... I was thinkin my truck would leak like crazy but not a drop has come out!
Thank you.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Chutchman
Well you have to pull the timing cover off of the front of the engine. It can be done in a weekend. Things like the radiator and all of the belt pulleys all have to be moved out of the way. Then you have to remove the dampener from the front of the crankshaft. I used the torque from the starter motor and a breaker bar against the frame-rail to help with this. Then the oil and water pumps must be taken off. And then the timing cover can be removed. Take a good look at your timing cover to make sure the chain didn't eat through the side of the coolant port. While you are in there here are the parts I would recommend replacing.

1.Timing Chain
2. Chain Guides (dampers)
3. Chain Sprockets
4. Main Oil Seal
5. Tensioner
6. Timing cover gaskets
7. Water pump Gasket
8. Oil-pump O-ring
9. Some good oil-resistant high-temp gasket maker
10. Valve cover gasket, plugs and gromets.

I spent about 500 bones for all of these parts because I went with dealer parts. I think you can get kits from american manufactures for like 90 bucks. Im sure some other guys on here know where to go for that. EngineBuilder kits or something like that. You might want to do the oil and water pumps while you are in there but that is up to you.

Make sure the top of the timing cover seals well against the bottom of the head. The toyota techs said this is a trouble spot.

Dropping the oil pan was a little tricky. I removed the steering stabilizer and had my cousin help me lower the front diff out of the way with his impact wrench. My pan was full of plastic and broken pieces of chain (mine broke, long story). But it was well-worth the work. It only took a couple of hours to do that. If you have a 2wd I think you just have to remove all of the front steering linkage and you are home free.

Here is a write-up that is not too bad on the timing assembly.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
Just do a little research on the topic before you start taking things apart. Then it is pretty simple and straightforward once you start.

Have fun!
Thanks for the great info. It is a little frustrating to search for info and most threads I find say, "Use the search function."

I myself am going with the dual kit from lce. My cover was almost eaten through to the passage. Good thing I parked it once I bought until I could pop the valve cover off and check it.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
engnbldr.com metal backed guides and a quality kit. Worth it's weight in gold. I did this an an 84 22r a while back using a guide with pics I found on yotatech. Sometimes it's easier to find something you need to know on yotatech using google such as "replacing 22re timing chain yotatech" from what I have found rather than just using the yotatech search as there may be sub forums you have never even looked at. I've been guilty of it....
Old 08-18-2012, 04:16 AM

The PO of my 4runner had supposedly changed the timing chain and waterpump before I purchased the vehicle. The reason he had done it was for preventative maintenace while doing a head job. He also put in a larger cam shaft at that time. He drove it about 5k before selling it to me. I got to drive the 4runner about 200 miles. For what ever reason the PO had put plastic guides back on the motor and neglected to put a bolt in the driver's side guide. This of course lead to catastrophic failure. I dunno why things happen the way that they do sometimes. I was not driving it hard, I had just replaced both differentials and was breaking them in. I decided to rebuild my engine because I also was about to put a new clutch in and the engine had 290,000+ miles on it. It seems these engines suffer from two major factors. 1. It is a Toyota and will run forever so screw the maintenance. 2. These cheap parts from (insert parts store here) worked fine on my Chevy, so I will use them. As several people have said this is a common issue and one that seems to be scheduled maintenance every 80-100k miles. Just is case you do decided to go ahead an do the repair, there is a specific location for the various different sized bolts that come out of the timing cover. I have attached the image below. There is tons of resources on here that I have used to build my engine. Happy Hunting!!!

Name:  TimingCoverBolts.jpg
Views: 5098
Size:  32.8 KB
Old 12-08-2021, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by small town BIG TOYS
Yea I did look on here. Because I thought there would be something. But no luck. I was shocked!!
Check out for 4crawler.com for timing chain replacement I'll see if I can get a link
Old 12-08-2021, 06:29 PM

1988 Toyota pickup Timing chain and guide replacement

https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTr...ingChain.shtml
Old 12-09-2021, 05:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Do not buy a Cloyes brand timing set. They are made in China now. I bought one as Cloyes was a old American brand name and found out they are now made in China and mine had a defective timing chain tensioner which I was lucky to discover before I buttoned up the motor.
And by the way Cloyes home office here in the USA would not honor their warranty.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:14 AM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
I installed a Cloyes heavy duty timing set four years ago in my 22RE. Back then gears were made in USA. Tensioner made in Taiwan. Chain had no markings, so I don't know where it was made.

If I had to do it over again now, I would buy the Japan parts, but so far the Cloyes is doing fine.

Quick Reply: broken 22re timing chain guides