86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blocked EGR, runs sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blocked EGR, runs sluggish

1992 3VZ-E. Swapped a rebuilt engine in and experienced low manifold vacuum. Blocked the vacuum lines to the EGR and it ran a lot better. Pulled the EGR and blocked the plenum with a gasket made from a Coors can. Ran great for a couple days, then sluggish at low rpms and overall less power. Figured the Coors gasket was leaking, so rather than just drinking more Coors to make gaskets, I bought the kit and removed the EGR completely and securely. Ever since, it's been running rough at low rpm, has no power at low rpm. Seems to be OK at higher rpms.

After blocking the ports and plugging the vacuum lines, I had no ECU codes, so I didn't bother with the resistor in the wiring harness. Is there a chance that's the problem? Like, does the ECU sense something's wrong and put the engine in safe mode (like when your knock sensor is out)?
Old 10-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
You need to put a resister where you unplugged the egr from the harness. This will throw a fault code but should not put the truck in limp mode. Take off the intake hoses and boot and thoroughly inspect them for leaks. Even the smallest of leaks will make the truck run bad.