Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bj Spacers and Front shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I finally got a hold of Bilstein. They closest shock they have is for a Nissan Pathfinder, older, and the p/n is BE52400. The issues are these. It is .5" longer than the 'yota which means *should* just squeak in barely, a little too close for comfort IMO. The user would have to purchase two 5/8" bushings and replace the lower eyelets with which the shocks come.

Honestly, the longer shocks will carry more oil and have more surface area thus dispersing heat better resisting fade.

Shocks are very much personal preference and the ball buster is even the cheap ones feel great when compared to a pair of beat up worn out ones so it's hard to say you new shocks are better or worse unless you are going through them fast or have lots of new ones you can interchange.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 07:02 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its only for a bracket lift? Huh, never heard of that one before. I assumed it meant 3-4" lift that was 3-4" period..

Guess OME is it?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
Its only for a bracket lift? Huh, never heard of that one before. I assumed it meant 3-4" lift that was 3-4" period..

Guess OME is it?
The problem with ading +4" to their stock shock, or any stock length for that matter, is that you have to lengthen the shock body so much it won't collapse far enough.

It's all good, there are lots of good shock brands and OME is one. Lots of people use that shock on this board and really like it. I hope I can try them out someday.

I'm going to get to do something one doesn't get to very often and that is to remove a perfectly good set of shocks to replace with the same of a different brand. I should pick up the new set today and I'll post up my impressions though I don't think I'll really get to test em out unless I hit up the desert. The temps will be too cold this weekend to really heat 'em up and see if they fade like the others.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would personally love to go with the Bilsteins but I also want one that is made for that lift specification. I am really leaning towards the Doetsch Tech prerunners......I think elripster you said thats the same ones you ordered. If they are I would love a update on how they feel...thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by desertyodaboy
I would personally love to go with the Bilsteins but I also want one that is made for that lift specification. I am really leaning towards the Doetsch Tech prerunners......I think elripster you said thats the same ones you ordered. If they are I would love a update on how they feel...thanks
I ordered the prerunners. Doetsch Tech is close to me and I have to drive by there today anyway so it was easy order them there. I honestly don't know how they are from personal experience yet.

Strap22 is in Texas and it gets really hot there too. Also with his aftermarket bumper adding weight, the shocks have more energy to absorb (more heat) so if OME's are holding up under those circumstances then they are good to go.

Maybe in a few months I'll order a set of OME's and do a side by side.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OMEs for me. Love them, they work really well.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I'll send you a set to do a comparison.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:54 AM

How much do the OME sell for strap22...for this application.....2-Front ones?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by desertyodaboy
How much do the OME sell for strap22...for this application.....2-Front ones?
PM me or send your request to info@trdparts4u.com Gerone will get you prices on what you need.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM

PMd strap22
Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM
CJM

So bilsteins comment was they added length to the shock and nothing else..huh..

I am curious about the DS shocks and the OME's.. Issue is though, I need a shock thats 3-4" lift not 2" lift like ome states

Last edited by CJM; 12-06-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
So bilsteins comment was they added length to the shock and nothing else..huh..

I am curious about the DS shocks and the OME's.. Issue is though, I need a shock thats 3-4" lift not 2" lift like ome states
I'm not sure if I understand what you mean added length and nothing else? What else would they add?

To make a shock stretch 4" more, you have to make the tubes longer which increases the collapsed length to a point where it will get crushed when the wheel tries to travel up to the bumpstops.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by elripster
I ordered the prerunners. Doetsch Tech is close to me and I have to drive by there today anyway so it was easy order them there. I honestly don't know how they are from personal experience yet.

Strap22 is in Texas and it gets really hot there too. Also with his aftermarket bumper adding weight, the shocks have more energy to absorb (more heat) so if OME's are holding up under those circumstances then they are good to go.

Maybe in a few months I'll order a set of OME's and do a side by side.

Frank
Elripster,

What part number did you order for the rears? Carol just called me from DT and said that she talked to their shop guy and he said 8180, rear and 8069, front. Is that what you got? The dimensions on the 8180 are 21.5" and 13.00" I believe. Is this right? Thanks.

Chris
Old 12-06-2007, 12:25 PM
CJM

Ok im not understanding something:

lets assume I have a 86-95 pickup and I want to lift the frontend with Bj's and a slightk t-bar crank to give me about 2.5-3" or so. What shock would I use and why?

According the 4 crawlers website I need a shock 3-4" longer than stock. bilstein says that the 5100 shocks are for 3-4" lifted app's and I see no reaosn why I couldnt run them.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Docs/Shocks.txt

4 crawler states that
Up front, looking for 10"-10.5" compressed length and ~15" extended length
But this is only if you use them with just the spacers?

This making any sense? Cause before I have read and talked to a heck of alot of people who are just running 3-4" longer shocks plain and simple. iirc 88 1st gen runner uses some procomps and wheels alot and has no issues?

Even if it was to slam the bumpstops isnt that why you extend them?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM

But, if you got a 3-4" you want to be able to use the up as well as the down travel. If you just bought a longer shock wouldn't it's compressed length limit your upward mobility?

Chris

Last edited by liferunner2; 12-06-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by liferunner2
Elripster,

What part number did you order for the rears? Carol just called me from DT and said that she talked to their shop guy and he said 8180, rear and 8069, front. Is that what you got? The dimensions on the 8180 are 21.5" and 13.00" I believe. Is this right? Thanks.

Chris
I ordered the 8069's, the prerunners I believe. She must have quoted you rear's as well, 13 and 21.5 is way too long for the front.

I didn't order rear shocks, I'm keeping my air shocks.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
Ok im not understanding something:

lets assume I have a 86-95 pickup and I want to lift the frontend with Bj's and a slightk t-bar crank to give me about 2.5-3" or so. What shock would I use and why?

According the 4 crawlers website I need a shock 3-4" longer than stock. bilstein says that the 5100 shocks are for 3-4" lifted app's and I see no reaosn why I couldnt run them.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Docs/Shocks.txt

4 crawler states that But this is only if you use them with just the spacers?

This making any sense? Cause before I have read and talked to a heck of alot of people who are just running 3-4" longer shocks plain and simple. iirc 88 1st gen runner uses some procomps and wheels alot and has no issues?

Even if it was to slam the bumpstops isnt that why you extend them?
I have to be honest, unless those people are running a bracket lift they don't have shocks that much longer.

You don't extend bumpstops unless you want less travel on a spacer lift. That would be intentionally making your rig less capable, not much reason to do that.

You add spacers and you need a shock that extends a bit farther but still allows stock compression. A shock that is 10/15" compressed/extended fits the bill. If you lengthen each tube 2" to get 4" more extension, you have a shock that is at least 2" longer than normal when compressed. If there is enough room for that great, but on our trucks I'm pretty sure there isn't. I know my Monroes are collapsed almost all the way when the UCA hits the bumpstops. You could not increase the collapsed length 2" without destroying the shock.

Frank
Old 12-06-2007, 05:38 PM
CJM

I see what you mean frank, makes sense and all I just wonder why so many run 3-4" longer shocks with no issues.

I see bilsteins website says the bumpstops may have to be shimmed too in order not to ruin the shock.

I am gonna try contacting a nearby specialized local vendor of bilstein near my house and see what they say. All I want is to ask bilstein wtf the extended and collapsed lengths are yet they wont say for some odd reason. I await there email back.

Why bilstein doesnt publish the info I dunno..stupid they got everything else up!

Ok did some more digging on monroes website stock size is listed as: front: 9.25/13.625 (collapsed/extended). So in reality an 11" collapsed shock could work..

Last edited by CJM; 12-06-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:39 PM

i run ProComp ES-3000 shocks, they are for 4" lift. i had Rancho's and front swaybar removed when i first got the BJ spacers, they are ok. later on i switched to ProComp, $70/pr. also added low-profile upper bump stops. the very first time i took my truck to San Gabriel Canyon OHV in Azusa, the upper shock bushings got crushed and the washer was flattened, too. i figured the longer shocks limited the up travel that's why the bushings got crushed. later i put the stock upper bump stops and sway bar back on, there are no problems so far.

so based on my own expirence, i'd say getting the shocks for no more than 3" lift.

p.s. i called the Bilstien few times myself, never got an straight answer. it's still my first choice based on their solid reputation, i'm just waitting for the right part# popping out. hehe..

would someone educate me the advantages of Air(nitrogen) Shocks over hydraulic(oil) shocks?
Old 12-06-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
I see what you mean frank, makes sense and all I just wonder why so many run 3-4" longer shocks with no issues.

I see bilsteins website says the bumpstops may have to be shimmed too in order not to ruin the shock.

I am gonna try contacting a nearby specialized local vendor of bilstein near my house and see what they say. All I want is to ask bilstein wtf the extended and collapsed lengths are yet they wont say for some odd reason. I await there email back.

Why bilstein doesnt publish the info I dunno..stupid they got everything else up!
I have the lengths from Bilstein. And again, you are NOT seeing +4" shocks on stock trucks. Those are for trucks with bracket lifts. Bracket lifts DO need bumpstop extension and come with them in the kit.

The closest they have is the shock I mentioned for the older Pathfinder. Their Toyota shock is 13.5" extended, same as my Monroes and needs to be shimmed about .5", same as my Monroes. The Pathfinder shock is 14" extended which means it is *just* long enough with zero margin. On top of that, you need to purchase a separate 5/8" bushing to make the eyelet an EB1. I would not recommend it. A longer shock from another maker like OME will out perform it with better heat absorption and rejection due to the larger dimensions and greater oil capacity.

Don't bother calling a distributor, they won't know. All they have is a sheet with stock apps on it. I spoke directly with Shane who is the tech in their off road shock application group.

Frank

Quick Reply: Bj Spacers and Front shocks