Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A Bad Automatic Transmission Mount may be causing My Vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow. I hope that fixes it! It would be rough going through that only to find out that didn't work!
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Azca.........you really don't know what I have been through with this 4runner, if you get a whole year of free time you can go back and read my first post to present post.I have tried everything to resolve my issue with this BEAST!....and did give up almost a couple of times on it ,but for some reason she keeps calling me back from the dead...so I call her "Walking Death" for now
I'll update when I do the timing belt change and post my results
Dwayne
Old 05-29-2009, 08:26 AM

Dwayne, keep posting. I'm going through the exact same thing with my 97 Chevy Cavalier! That terrible noise and vibration that just won't go away, even after replacing half the car! (yeah I know it's a toyota forum, but this is all I could find so far that is so similar to my car issues)
Old 05-31-2009, 03:02 PM

VanHalen
please read some of my other threads and maybe you will find some helpful info there....right now I'm going through the process of replacing my timing belt and all related idler pulleys including the ac idler pulley. I feel like that finally I.m going to solve most if all of my problems with this 4runner.I'll post my results at the end of this weekend...provided it doesn't rain here any more
Old 06-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Thanks yotatech members!!..... for all your help in trying to help me locate the source of my vibration issue.I have replaced the timing belt, idler pulleys (2), tensioner and water pump and still have a vibration and some of it is coming from the ac compressor.I have found out that the ac pulley has bad bearings and a roughness to it when I spun the pulley during the timing belt replacement.I also can feel the vibration through the steering wheel while the compressor is on. I know that it's a matter of time before it seizes up
and I will have to replace the compressor pulley but I'm still using it now until that day comes

I will close by saying ""thanks again for all the help"... and I will revisit this thread if I need to with more updating, but for now I'm just living with the little bit of vibration I still have
Old 01-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Any Updates?

Hi there BuckZ. Any updates with the vibration problem? I seem to be experiencing something very similar and it's driving me nuts! I've had OEM wheels placed on the car, new tires, balancing, and just installed the tranny mount, but not much luck. Thank you.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by LemonRage
Hi there BuckZ. Any updates with the vibration problem? I seem to be experiencing something very similar and it's driving me nuts! I've had OEM wheels placed on the car, new tires, balancing, and just installed the tranny mount, but not much luck. Thank you.
well, I haven't resolved the vibration issue yet....the 4runner is down with a blown head gasket on #6 cylinder.I'm in the process of replacing the head gaskets on both sides and this engine is a bitch to work on

I have a theory though, just maybe the head gasket has been leaking for quite sometime causing a unbalancing in the combustion of the engine and thus causing my vibration?....I mean that the top of the piston is clean no carbon like the others. I would think that the cleaning of that piston takes a while but it's just a theory.I will get her put back together and hope that the vibration goes away with the new head gasket set..and input on that theory?....below is a pic of that clean #6 piston where the gasket was leaking
Old 01-11-2010, 07:15 AM

Vibration

Thank you for the update. I imagine that a combustion problem would cause a vibration. I had a 92 Accord that had a hole in a valve and the car shook quite a bit until it was repaired, but it was also barely driveable...

I am taking my truck into the dealership this week to have them locate the issue. This will be the third dealership to look at it. If they can't isolate the problem I am going to contact Toyota Customer Relations. I'll post any updates I have. Thanks again and good luck with the repair.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:09 PM

your welcome...please update me on what you or they find...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM

Update...

Well, I took the 4Runner into the dealership in salt lake yesterday. I asked them to do an alignment since I had new tires put on two weeks ago. I also told them about the vibration at highway speeds....The service tech called me to pick up the truck and said that the vibration couldn't be duplicated! I felt retarded and was shocked! So, I will be taking the runner to another dealership that supposedly is one of the best Toyota dealerships in the state. Again, I will provide another update. Thank you.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:18 AM

yea that old "can't duplicate excuse".... that is used for not troubleshooting farther
Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Vibration Problem

Hey there Buck. Here is my update. After going to one Toyota dealership about the vibration, I went to another. Three technicians looked over my front-end at the dealership. They said that everything looked good and tight. I then went out with one of the techs for a test drive. He took the wheel and we headed out on the interstate. Once we hit about 65-70 I pointed out the shaking. He said that was completely normal due to the tires that I have on the 4Runner... Well, the tires I have are Wrangler Silent Armor 265-75-16. The tech said that the tread is meant for more off-road driving and that's why I feel the shaking. He recommended buying/trading for some Michelins since they are supposedly smoother. I don't know...However, when I am going about 60 the ride is super smooth, problem is the speed limit here is 65 and most everyone goes 70-75. Let me know what you think. Best of luck.
-Will
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Hey there Buck. Here is my update. After going to one Toyota dealership about the vibration, I went to another. Three technicians looked over my front-end at the dealership. They said that everything looked good and tight. I then went out with one of the techs for a test drive. He took the wheel and we headed out on the interstate. Once we hit about 65-70 I pointed out the shaking. He said that was completely normal due to the tires that I have on the 4Runner... Well, the tires I have are Wrangler Silent Armor 265-75-16. The tech said that the tread is meant for more off-road driving and that's why I feel the shaking. He recommended buying/trading for some Michelins since they are supposedly smoother. I don't know...However, when I am going about 60 the ride is super smooth, problem is the speed limit here is 65 and most everyone goes 70-75. Let me know what you think. Best of luck.
-Will
Thanks for the update....I have read about a lot of folks having tire problems contributing to or even causing vibrations issues.I hope that the tech was right with his assessment of your issue....let us know later if he was correct or not
good luck
Old 04-13-2010, 10:47 AM

One more shop

Hey there. Any luck or news on the vibration issues? Mine still shakes like crazy.

I plan on taking a very long road trip, so I am taking the Runner in once more to a local shop just to have them look at the vibration issue and to make sure that the car is safe.

Something that I read about this week about diagnosing vibration issues was taking the car on the freeway, getting it to shake and then placing the car in neutral. If the car still shakes, it's not the tranny. I decided to try this, so, I hit 75 and then went into neutral while going on an exit ramp. The car still shook, so I hear it's probably the drive shaft. Have you seen suggestions about balancing the drive shaft? I will write an update once I get back from the repair shop.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Hey there. Any luck or news on the vibration issues? Mine still shakes like crazy.

I plan on taking a very long road trip, so I am taking the Runner in once more to a local shop just to have them look at the vibration issue and to make sure that the car is safe.

Something that I read about this week about diagnosing vibration issues was taking the car on the freeway, getting it to shake and then placing the car in neutral. If the car still shakes, it's not the tranny. I decided to try this, so, I hit 75 and then went into neutral while going on an exit ramp. The car still shook, so I hear it's probably the drive shaft. Have you seen suggestions about balancing the drive shaft? I will write an update once I get back from the repair shop.
no luck yet, but you know it really isn't that bad and I have been driving it this way for almost 2 years now, so I'm guessing it can't be that serious bc whatever is causing the vibration hasn't broke.....so I have decided a long time ago I'll just live with it for now
Old 07-31-2010, 07:43 PM

Vibration issues

Hello.

Buck, I think we have had the same problem. I'm curious if you have found yours? I don't believe the thing about the tires for a minutes. Have duplicated it with various tires.

My vibrations starts at about 70 to 75 mph.

If I turn off the engine and put it in neutral it still vibrates.. that seems to rule out the engine, flex plate, and torque converter... no??

So, here is the twist... I just cracked my second flex plate in two years as a result of this vibration... And the crack grows faster if I drive at 70-75 mph for extended time periods.

So now I am lost, because I ruled out harmonic balancer.. drive shaft is good, u joints good. My buddy/mechanic said he thinks its gearbox/transmission related.

Taking it in this week. Would love to know what, if anything, you have come up with.

Thanks,

Chris
(718) 614-8064
Old 08-01-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by NYCharacter
Hello.

Buck, I think we have had the same problem. I'm curious if you have found yours? I don't believe the thing about the tires for a minutes. Have duplicated it with various tires.

My vibrations starts at about 70 to 75 miles per hour.

If I turn off the engine and put it in neutral it still vibrates.. that seems to rule out the engine, flex plate, and torque converter... no??

So, here is the twist... I just cracked my second flex plate in two years as a result of this vibration... And the crack grows faster if I drive at 70-75 miles per hour for extended time periods.

So now I am lost, because I ruled out harmonic balancer.. drive shaft is good, u joints good. My buddy/mechanic said he thinks its gearbox/transmission related.

Taking it in this week. Would love to know what, if anything, you have come up with.

Thanks,

Chris
(718) 614-8064
yep I fixed it!....buy selling that piece of crap!!!!!!!!.....good luck to you
Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahaha! Dwayne! You sold it?! Can't blame you. Man, that thing had the better of you for a while.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Hahaha! Dwayne! You sold it?! Can't blame you. Man, that thing had the better of you for a while.
LAMO....thook!!!.....selling that thing was a blessing in more ways than one...
I haven't been on this form much because I don't have a yota any more.I do not know when or if I will buy another one....good luck to you and all who have the 3vzeeeeeeee
Old 08-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm sure it was a blessing. We tried, though, didn't we? Well, you did all the work....lol! I just threw in some words. Anyway, mine had it's share of issues when my wife first got it. But, I've learned damn near everything there is to know about it since. So, it's working really well......just have to rebuild the injectors, soon. Over 200k. That's a lot for any pintle injector no matter the vehicle!

Even if you aren't around much, or if any more at all, nice having met you and take it easy, Dwayne. You know where I'll be.

Quick Reply: A Bad Automatic Transmission Mount may be causing My Vibration?