86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Automatic Transmission Vacuum lines???

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x2 on what gsgallant said. Sounds loke no.2 solenoid. I would check all solenoids with an ohm meter while I were under there and change the filter as well.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Aircrwman
Yes....to the 2nd scenario, but will not shift until D.

Manually Shifting (when cold)
~L to 2....will not shift into 2nd gear from first gear
~2 to D....It will hesitate and then shift into overdrive...(#2 solenoid problem)
Did you see post #18 above? I explained what should happen with a bad #2 solenoid. In "2", it will feel like it doesn't want to shift out of first because it is skipping 2nd gear and waiting until the RPM/speed is right to shift from 1st directly to 3rd. Give it a shot to see if this works.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Did you see post #18 above? I explained what should happen with a bad #2 solenoid. In "2", it will feel like it doesn't want to shift out of first because it is skipping 2nd gear and waiting until the RPM/speed is right to shift from 1st directly to 3rd. Give it a shot to see if this works.
yea, I was just stating what was actually happening. I think I have done that and from what I remember, when it did shift (from 1st to third as you say), it shifted extremely hard!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 AM

yea, I was just stating what was actually happening. I think I have done that and from what I remember, when it did shift (from 1st to third as you say), it shifted extremely hard!
Were you gunning it at the time, or slowly accelerating? If you were accelerating fast trying to force it to shift, try it more slowly... gradually building up the RPM. That will cause it to shift earlier and hopefully not as harshly.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
Were you gunning it at the time, or slowly accelerating? If you were accelerating fast trying to force it to shift, try it more slowly... gradually building up the RPM. That will cause it to shift earlier and hopefully not as harshly.
not necessarily, but I will try that. Thank you for all of your help and I will update you as I replace the #1 and the #2 solenoid...I ordered both. For some reason they don't sell them independently....or I could not find a place that did. For both...$99
Old 02-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Can't go wrong for that price. Keep the old No.1 as a spare.

Good luck with the job. There are lots of threads on here about transmission flushing. They have a lot of info about removing the pan, cleaning the pan, magnets, filter screen, etc... If your tranny is due for a flush, now would be the time to do it.

Here is a recent writeup that was put together that should give you most of the info you need. Note that it's for an A340F transmission. The FSM that I posted the link for in an earlier post will have all the torque specs for the A340H. Here is the section you need.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:01 PM

ok, so I installed te #1 and #2 shift solenoids today and took it out for a test drive. It seems to have fixed the shifting problem. I came home and double checked if it was still throwing a code and....it was.

What does this mean? Do I have to reset it or just give it time to see that it was replaced?
Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 PM

what about a 4runner that won't shift into high gear?

i am considering buying a 1992 4runner.. the current owner says it works fine but won't shift into high gear and that a transmission flush would fix it.

the price is very good, however, like anyone, i'm not interested in a money pit.

would replacing the solenoids resolve this? what about his claims of a transmission flush?

thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by dbutts
the current owner says it works fine but won't shift into high gear and that a transmission flush would fix it.

A transmission flush will not fix it. Worst case it needs a new trans. Good possiblity that its a solenoid issue. Only way to find out is to drop the trans pan and test them. If you purchase it, purchase it with the intension of a new trans which should be considered in the price negotiation.

is the torque converter not locking up? Alot of people think the torque converter as a high gear which it is not. if thats the case its COULD be a coolant temp sensor or solenoid

Last edited by Dan.3; 09-22-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:45 PM

ok and thanks for the input.. i talked to a toyota mechanic and he too mentioned the torque converter. I haven't driven it, but I think i'll take a pass on this 4runner
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM

ok, so I installed te #1 and #2 shift solenoids today and took it out for a test drive. It seems to have fixed the shifting problem. I came home and double checked if it was still throwing a code and....it was.

What does this mean? Do I have to reset it or just give it time to see that it was replaced?
Is it still throwing the same code for shift 2? Disconnect the battery for a little bit and let the computer reset and see if it comes back after a few drive cycles
Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 PM

hey aircrewman where did you get both for 99 and did it solve the problem i an x2 on your prob plus i do not think my lock up solenoid is kicking in all the time and guys does it sound like a wireing harness problem because i did pull a code 63 i think that said severed or shorted solenoid wire