86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Automatic Transmission drain vs flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Transmission drain vs flush

I have a 94 Toyota Pickup V6 4x4 3.0L and before taking her across country, wanted some opinions regarding a transmission flush.
A new mechanic told me to flush it cause of dirty fluid. Would just draining and refilling be sufficient? Transmission seems to be working just fine, and have read in the past it may be better to leave alone.
Just joined the Toyota club, had done work on my old Mazda in the past, but this is a whole other beast!
Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
have the filter changed too...
Old 10-06-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
i've done a lot of reading on this subject recently with my own transmission maintenance. from what i've read it is possible a flush with the chemicals, machine, and all that can damage older transmissions. apparently junk getting dislodged and lodging somewhere else it's not suppose to. i don't know from any personal experience or expertise. bob is the oil guy forum/website is one resource for more opinions on that. often it's suggested just a sequential drain and refill is quite adequate particularly if your tranny is not having an issues...just dirty fluid

i will say a friend of mine has his T100 flushed at the dealership on a regular schedule and the tranny has high miles. he says it always feels much better afterward. also, before he'd owned it was a service truck and abused a bit and not regularly flushed before. so, you could take your chances based on that.

you might also read on a diy transmission flush. simply remove the one of the lines from the radiator (don't remember which'n offhand) and utilize the pump of the tranny itself to expel all of the old fluid as you continuously refill. google it. it's on the web

me? i'd just sequentially drain and refill like i just did on my new to me honda crv. the fluid was so dirty i thought i'd messed up and removed the drain plug for the engine. i've drained and refilled twice already and the tranny's much happier. plan on a couple more over the course of a few weeks.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I drained the atf and replaced the transmission filter refilled with atf, and then drained and refilled three more times that's including the transfer case fluid. Work really nice now.

Last edited by maco35; 10-08-2017 at 01:25 PM.