Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

auto trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
auto trans issues

1988 4runner 22re auto trans.

Biggest issue the trans sometimes starts out in what i think is 3rd gear. It used to only do it only in the first mile or so. The other day it did it when i was trying to cross a busy road after i drove for a few minutes. If i manually shift it seems to work fine. The other issue i have is ill be about half throttle in second gear accelerating and it feels alittle bogged down for the first few seconds then it unbogs and the revs pick up alittle. I almost feel like its the torque converter being locked then unlocking but idk if this even has a locking converter.

The truck sat maybe 10 years and was pulled out of the weeds where it sat around november 2016. I wont get into details of why but the truck went from 4.30 gears to 4.10s. Then i put 33s on it making gearing worse. I added a trans cooler though. Fluid is not in the best of shape. Id like to get it flushed and replaced but that hasn't happened yet. Trans doesn't slip at all and the kick down is adjusted to specs. I've driven around 4k miles like this including from new york to florida. The trans seems strong aside from these issues. Im not sure if OD works but perhaps that is just the switch, idk it really doesent need OD with the gears and tires at the moment. Any help would be appreciated on the starting out in 3rd issue.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
check the shift solenoids.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:15 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Prelim: Voltage good(11v), no codes stored(OD on, ignition on, DG grounded) steady flashing.

Signals: TPS(0-8v with throttle angle), brake(0v brakes applied) and neutral safety signals(no start except N and P).

Manual shift: ECT ECU disco, shift L 1st, shift 2 3rd, shift D Overdrive.

Drive: gear match's voltage on DG

And I might have forgotten the rest.

.. Edit: I can live with that. Just missed the stall and lag test. No way I am memorizing the shift speeds that's why we have charts!
Heh guess it didn't stick as well as I wanted it to. Fix your switch, test the od light the. Ask it what's wrong...

Detailed post here

You won't have lockup at part throttle under 50%