86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Auto or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto or manual?

For offroading, what is preferred. I have a 1990 2door 4Runner that I want to make a trail truck but its an auto. Ive always preferred manuals for driving. Ive never really had an auto. So, what is preferred by most? Any good and bad things bout either or does it not really matter?

BTW, if this is in the wrong spot, move it to the correct place. I didnt really see and spot that dealt with offroading other than the 101 section.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

ive off roaded my 93 auto pretty much since i bought it 4 yrs back. it has done very well and never left me stranded. i have NOT driven a manual off road, yet! you will hear many thoughts on this, best thing i can suggest is, meet up with other members on here in your area. someone might let you try driving a m/t off road.

lee
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How about the "Offroad Tech" section?

I believe this has been asked a number of times before. If you search, you can get a lot of opinions, here's mine ... it depends on what kind of 'wheeling you do:

- Really rough, rocky stuff (like river beds) automatic is nice
- Mud, I prefer a manual, as it allows better control over wheelspeed
- If you do a lot of steep downhills (like Moab) the compression braking of a manual is nice.

All that applies to stock trucks. Start throwing some mod money into the mix, and a manual with dual cases is the best BY FAR.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its all just a matter of personal opinion. I don't believe there is a "good and better". Which are you more comfortable wheeling with? I'd say go with that. . .
Old 01-06-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you in cocoa beach florida? I'm from there originally. Lived there most of my life. Wish I could go back.

To get on topic, if you dont do much off-roadin, like me, I'd stick with an automatic. I have a manual and my clutch knee hurts like hell some days. Also, accelerating with a manual is a pain. I dont mind a little work, but on the 22re you're already in 3rd gear before you're even past the stoplight.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM

i wheel with a 5spd and i wouldnt have it any other way... its nice for wheel speed control in mud and slopes but it does get to be a serious PITA sometimes, but my buddies wheel with auto's and i wouldnt like that just cuz i think i have more control of my truck than he does and he's always the one to break something
Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want an automatic, don't buy any yota truck/4runner older then a 1995.5 Ever notice that pretty much every single truck and car in Japan is a manual... yeah stick with what you know best!

Manual all the way for me. But a good automatic can be pretty nice in some situations..
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM

well, i think id perfer a manual but idk. my 92 p/u is a manual. i drive it offroad but not much. just to get to hunting spots. ive driven both offroad and i just cant decide. i have no problem driving a manual and im very good at it. but i have this 4runner that id love to make a bad ass woods toy and its an auto. i thought about converting it but its not worth it imo. swaping the tranny isnt bad but the mc, clutch pedal assembly, etc wouldnt be fun. sometimes my manual does get old whem im shifting every 30 secs but....

are the autos paired with the 3.0s good trannys? reliable? reliability is my main concern really.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Left with stock sized tires and proper gearing, your automatic should be fine. Make sure you check the fluid level and colour often.

If you plan on wheeling it, you can install an inline cooler to help preserve its life. As for reliability, if you search around. I doubt you will find more then a handfull of busted r150 (3vze 5sp) trannys.. the automatics well... They are not as good.

Most people will also agree that the automatic can cost you up to around 25hp to the wheels, and about 2mpg....

If you can find a wrecked donor 5sp 3vze truck. You can get your parts, sell whats left and probibly even out. If your automatic is in good shape they are worth a fairly good amount to some...
Old 01-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Also, it's good to point out that after 155,000 miles, it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace a worn clutch disc than to fix/replace a worn automatic transmission.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:17 PM

Manual all the way!BTW I didn't know they made a 90 model 2 door.I have an early 90 but it's a 4 door.
Bigblock
Old 01-06-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by nosfanatic2006
I think its all just a matter of personal opinion. I don't believe there is a "good and better". Which are you more comfortable wheeling with? I'd say go with that. . .
yeah exactly

i've had an auto and i really liked it and i have a manual and thats fun. um i think the auto was much easier though
Old 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd have to say automatic is better suited to offroading a stock truck in most situations, but only by a hair If your planning a trail rig, buy a 2nd t case and think about a manual. There are times when you need wheel-spin such as mud where the manual might edge out the auto by a hair. For pure strength, I think the 5spd is also stronger, if that's a consideration.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bigblock
Manual all the way!BTW I didn't know they made a 90 model 2 door.I have an early 90 but it's a 4 door.
Bigblock
yea, i believe that they made them for a few years after they changed to 2nd gen body style, but very few of them. ive only ever seen one other one and i work with the owner of it. heres a picture of mine (not a great pic and it is sitting on like 225s now but you can see it):

Old 01-06-2009, 06:41 PM

idk, maybe ill keep my p/u and sell the runner. or just keep both of em and have 2.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:44 PM

manuals rock like crazy. but you gotta think about stalling all the time on the trail if your not a pro with the clutch break thing
Old 01-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bigblock
Bigblock
'90 to '92 for 2nd gen two door.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by the_ocho
manuals rock like crazy. but you gotta think about stalling all the time on the trail if your not a pro with the clutch break thing
That is the truth! I love my 5 speed on the trails but am new to wheeling so I kill it alot. One of the neatest things I've done so far is step out while the rig is in 1st and 3 of my 4 tires are turning in the snow where I'm stuck, kind of fun.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM

im definitely not new at driving a manual. ive driven them for most of the time ive been driving. onroad, offroad, wherever. i love them. i just kinda wanted to make the runner a woods truck cause of wheelbase (the 2door is the same as a regular cab short bed pickup). i will never own another auto again either.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM

it pretty much just comes down to how good you are at working the clutch. if you have reasonable 5-speed experience, 5-speed is better, but if you don't want the hastle go with the auto.

Quick Reply: Auto or manual?