Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

attention to engnbldr cam 22re owners - timing. i need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5 speed. he put in a rebuilt tranny he got from a place in LA, (though strangely wouldnt tell me what company, just that its a quality really good tranny). hey he also hooked up the 4x4 light wire! lol. hes my dads mechanic, and has never screwed him, and put a tranny in his truck as well, and is fine. so im not that worried. i mean the engine RUNS really well, other than running rich and leaking oil. though im noticing when i rev the engine, it spits a bunch of nasty crap out of the exhaust and marks its territory.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
With it running rich, losing oil (burning or leaking somewhere) and it spitting crap everywhere, I would not consider that running really well...IMO. I'd also be wary of the tranny...it may be the same one you had originally? Just cuz he does well by your father does not mean he is going to do the same for you...hell your just a kid, he'll never know. But I can't say, I don't know the chap. After hearing about all this, I'd be very leery of this guy.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM

i dunno, the tranny is a different unit (he showed me the original one when i picked up the truck). i kind of got him yesterday though, i stopped by and told him it threw a code. he said how do you know its not obd2. i told him i jumped the connectors and read the blinks. and told him exactly what code, and what the code meant. (26, running rich). im pretty sure he knows now that i know more than the average 'kid'. im gonna keep driving it until i get paid, which when that happens the truck is going back up to him for repairs, and im gonna tell him im not paying him another penny until its running like its brand new, with no leaks, no electrical problems, and not running rich.
only reason he doesnt have it now is cuz the expedition has a quarter tank, and my trucks got a full tank, and i dont have the money yet to put money in the expedition. (then again, with the beer that flows around here, not mine!!!, i should have enuf cans by the middle of next week to put maybe half tank in the ex., and take the truck up to him.

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 05-28-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok right there throws a flag...he should have known it is not a OBD2...I just have a feeling that he is jerking your chain. I hope this get straightened around and that you and your rig don't pay the price of someone being a jerk. It all seems a bit fishy, like I said I don't know the chap though, he maybe on the up and up and this is just a simple fix as he forgot something. I'm not so sure though, we all have given you tons of ideas and nothing has fixed you up??? "sigh....."
Old 05-28-2009, 06:36 AM

yeah. he knew it wasnt, cuz he said 'how do you know it threw a code? its not obd2' im pretty sure hes a good guy, cuz he paid for it out of his pocket and is letting me pay him back, but still, i have a weird feeling about it.
though you can bet im not gonna go back to him again after this.

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 05-28-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pull the valve cover off and pull the dist, cap and look at where the rotor is poiting when the motor is at tdc, I have the same cam as you and the first time I put it in I was a tooth off and the motor would time out to 14 BTDC and it would only run good at like 10, and then I started loosing oil and coolant and then the head gasket went with only 5k on it. I talked to Ted(engbldr) and he confirmed that it was a tooth off and it always ran rich. The timing mark should be slightly to the left at TDC and the rotor should be pointing to the number one plug on the cap. Not sure if this will help, but sounds a little similar to what I had, If this is the problem you might be able to catch it before you have to tear it down. I was not so lucky and it leaked coolant through the rear cylinder and the rings were shot, so I got to take it apart again and now she is running much better. Let us know.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:27 PM

its going back to the mechanic yet again on wednesday. the rattle in the lower end came back.. sounds like a marble, (mechanic at work says its rod bearings or whatever), i found the breather DISCONNECTED and ZIP TIED to another wire, leaving the crankcase unfiltered. it also wont idle. i start it up, it goes to 1000rpm and then drops to about 100rpm and dies. lately my dads been giving me crap about being pissed at the mech, cuz hes helping me out, but today i had him come down and LISTEN to it run, and he is now on my side, hes pissed too... i paid 1100 too much, i could have gotten a rebuilt engine for 1200, and he knows that. so in his opinion (mine too) for 2200, that engine better PURR like a kitten.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 AM

okay, truck is at the mechanic, acting up. he said its bad injectors and the knock is from it misfiring . (but hey it wasnt misfiring a few days ago, it was shaking because of the cam... OOOH i wonder) so here comes another 400 bucks for new injectors.. (they have at least 300,000 miles on em might as well replace em). oh, and its now stalling, which he says is from the injectors, which got screwed up when water was going thru them with the cracked head.... whatever...only gas goes thru injectors..., and from the afm being loose and bouncing around. i had it that way for 150+ thousand miles and never had a problem. oh, and i asked him to time it the right way, according to the book, and he said he doesnt agree with that way because it fries the computer, or something. so let him time it and dont touch it. im really starting to get irritated. half tempted to start smoking again im so irritated. so now im 4300 into the engine and transmission. i REALLY wish i had listened to my instincts and put that 4300 towards a newer vehicle... JESUS what a fustercluck. (sorry fuster but you know....)
Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds all bad
Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 AM

ya. but im gonna do exactly what he says, but im gonna drive the hell out of this thing and hope to fry something, so he will be FORCED to put in a new engine, not just rebuild the core. hey i got a year. good enuf idea if he refuses to acknowledge the engine is rattling/knocking ?

Last edited by ozziesironmanoffroad; 06-03-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,Did you get the truck straightened out.I just read the thread and I hear about shady places all the time.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM

just seein your post, 03 vrod.and the answer is 'NOPE!'.
this morning i think it spun its main rod bearing (is that what the main engine bearing is called??? maybe crank bearing??) all i hear now is a bearing whine that doesnt change with RPMs. soon ill get video of it with audio so the experts here can tell me.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:43 PM

update: i just looked at it as i had some unexpected free time. the damned idle adjustment screw POPPED OUT and was kickin it on the frame. the screw being out = large vacuum leak and a high whistling noise. since i was half awake it sounded like a spun bearing. cleaned up the screw (carbon deposits all over it) put it back in, adjusted the idle, and its running PERFECT. its even idling perfectly. now i just need to replace the knock sensor (its throwing a knock sensor code (code 12), figure out what code 51 is (what switch signal????) and replace the starter (cheapo autozone starter.. thank god its got a lifetime warranty) and ill be set.