Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ATF or gear oil for a transfer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATF or gear oil for a transfer?

I bought used automatic transmission with the transfer (4runner 86) I need to change the transfer oil, it looks the contains gear oil, so I looked in 2 manual and found this:
Haynes indicates only gear oil
Chilton: ATF oil
In conclusion what kind of fluid do I have to use?
Old 05-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just get some 75w90 gear oil in it
Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Elton
just get some 75w90 gear oil in it

That's a negatory good buddy

Its a hydraulic shift t-case, and needs ATF to function properly. Gear oil will NOT be good for it.

Haynes=Junk
Chiltons=Junk
Factory Manual=The only way to go. It describes in there what to use, but it is ATF.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
o i never heard of a hydraulic shift t-case my bad guess i still need to learn a few things
Old 05-28-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Elton
... guess i still need to learn a few things
Yep, like to shut-up.

People come for quality advice here on tech questions. If somebody do not know answer for sure, please remain come and quiet. It is OK NOT to take action....

As for the fluid, general advice: for maintenance changes, if in doubt check first what kind of fluid one do have in vehicle first.
If one find tranny fluid and some publication calls for gear oil, well it is time to check with factory.

Last edited by EUROJulian; 05-28-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:18 AM

So, does my 91' P/U 5spd, 22RE take ATF or 75/90gear oil in the T-case....I've been putting in gear oil....hmmm maybe that explains the leaky case, maybe not...sorry to highjack.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:37 AM

I beleive, (at the risk of receiving a key lashing from EURO boy) that the t-case's behind the autos were the only ones that are hydraulicly controlled.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BluYot
So, does my 91' P/U 5spd, 22RE take ATF or 75/90gear oil in the T-case....I've been putting in gear oil....hmmm maybe that explains the leaky case, maybe not...sorry to highjack.
The t-cases behind 5-speeds take gear oil.

The transfer case with some auto trannies take ATF, the A340H is one of them. I don't know about all of them though.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...27descript.pdf
Old 05-28-2007, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
.... (at the risk of receiving a key lashing from EURO boy)...

Get you some other time. It`s too easy....
Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The automatic transfer case has clutch packs. It uses ATF.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:56 AM

thanks for all advices, I ' ll go for ATF.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by mt_goat
The t-cases behind 5-speeds take gear oil.

The transfer case with some auto trannies take ATF, the A340H is one of them. I don't know about all of them though.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...27descript.pdf
Very true. Tcases behind autos were hydro shift until 95.5, when the tacomas and 4Runners recieved a shiftable chaindrive non-hyrdo case. The case was detachable from the tranny without having to build it on/off and used gear oil. The only exception was the T100, which always used a non-hyrdo case even in 1993 behind the autos.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The only way to know for sure is to let us know what model transfer/tranny it is. Otherwise, all you're getting here are guesses. If I'm not mistaken, the 1986 automatic 4Runner (4x4) had the A340H. If that's true, then ATF is your fluid of choice in the transfer case (which is integrated with the tranny). Otherwise, you likely need gear oil. I'm not aware of any other Toyota transfer cases for trucks or 4Runners that used ATF. If you can get the model number, we can confirm.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 05-29-2007 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:45 PM
Staff

None of my info is a guess. I am 100% sure that I am correct.

Regardless, 86 is a hydro case and will need ATF.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Me too Deathcougar, my '86 is an auto, and I know what's in the t-case.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:07 PM
DCS

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EUROJulian
... It is OK NOT to take action....
Hey eurotrash, you should try your own advice. Dick.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I have some questions for the "know-it-alls". How do you fill IT with ATF if it is an integral unit and/or shares that same fluid with the transmission? Would you not check the level and condition of such fluid at the transmission? Does such a transfer case even have a fill hole? Would not a fill hole on a transfer case automatically determine what fluid should belong there? That being a fluid it's not sharing with the transmission, or gear oil?

You'll need to be more specific. More like stating exactly which transfer cases do or do not use ATF/gear oil. Telling us this or that year is a little vague. Besides you oughta know(Mr.works for Toyota, you know who you are).

Last edited by MudHippy; 05-28-2007 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Staff

Hopefully that wasn't directed at me...but...

Auto cases fill just the same as manual cases. Though the case and the trans use the same fluid, that doesn't mean the fluid flows between the two. If you remember, A340H trannys have 3 (three) drain plugs for the trans/case assy. Two plugs are on the TWO oil pans it uses, and the third is on the bottom of the back of the Tcase.

NO you would not check the case fluid level in the dipstick, you would check it at the fill plug.

Just because its intergral doesn't mean it doesn't have to be filled seperatly. 3 speed Toyota Corollas have to be filled in 2 places, but its all one unit (transaxle) The trans fluid does not flow into the diff, and vise-versa.

I already stated which cases use gear oil versus which used ATF, but I will resate it again:

HYRDO cases use ATF. ALL Automatics behind 4runners and Non-T100 trucks used Hyrdocases. (84-95)

ALL T100's, regardless of manual or auto had a detachable case that used GEAR OIL, and was not hyraulic.

ALL 4Runner and Tacoma cases from 95.5+ were detachable NON-hyrdo cases and used gear oil.

I dont think it can be any more clear than that.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Deathcougar and 4Runnerx3: My "guess" comment wasn't directed at anybody in particular... it was simply to emphasize the fact that when you post a question with little detail, you'll get a variety of answers. Some right, some wrong. This time, you guys were right, and some of the others were wrong. Didn't mean to offend anybody.

To continue on with what Deathcougar said as an answer to Mudhippy's question to us "know-it-alls" (I'm not too proud to admit it ):

In the A340H transmission/transfer (which came on mid 80's to mid 90's automatic 4x4 4Runners), the transmission and transfer case (front end of the transfer case) share ATF fluid directly. You drain both pans separately to ensure you get all fluid out of both (each have their own drain plug). When you refill the large transmission pan through the dipstick tube, it will overflow into the small transfer case pan (after the first couple of quarts are poured in), and fill that one also. When checking the fluid level/condition in the transmission with the dipstick, you are also checking the level in the transfer case (front end of the transfer case).

The transfer chain case on the A340H (back end of the transfer case) uses ATF also. However, it has it's own fill and drain plugs. You have to drain/fill the chain case separately from the transmission and the front end of the transfer case. To check the level in the chain case, remove the fill plug, and feel for fluid with your finger. If you need to top it up, you do so through the fill hole until it overflows out of it.

...and EURO... take your advice to one of the "low tact" forums out there. This one is typically still quite respectable, and we'd like to keep it that way.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 05-29-2007 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And... a moderator steps in.

So, Euro... looks like you're on a roll, there are a number of reports against you this morning.

As _I_ read the posts that were reported, it looks like you're someone who has a lot more experience than most of the folks here. Kudos, how about sharing it with a bit less attitude?

YT isn't one of the other forums where people abuse one-another for sport. The core charter of this forum is to be newbie friendly. We try to teach here, not chastise.

Consider this a warning... If you can't take it down a few notches, it'll end up being a ban.

{I'm also posting this message in the other thread where you've popped up}

Quick Reply: ATF or gear oil for a transfer?