Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Anyone tried using hydrogen generators?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone tried using hydrogen generators?

Since lately I've been wanting to preserve my fuel more, I was looking up ways to do that, and I came accross using hydrogen. Anyone used something like this? I'm really interested basically you need to put water and a teaspoon of baking soda and charge it which creates the hydrogen. If you have tried it, please post how you did it, what you used, your before and after results.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:23 PM

search the forums theres been more than one discussion on it
Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
it's a scam
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go read up on thermodynamics, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Any energy taken from the alternator to electrolyze hydrogen from water creates more resistance on the engine and you end up with no net power gain.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by T-1000
Go read up on thermodynamics, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Any energy taken from the alternator to electrolyze hydrogen from water creates more resistance on the engine and you end up with no net power gain.
Unless your alternator constantly puts out more power than needed and since, unlike an a/c compressor, it doesn't have a clutch you're just using more of the already available generated power?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Unless your alternator constantly puts out more power than needed and since, unlike an a/c compressor, it doesn't have a clutch you're just using more of the already available generated power?
No, that's not how alternators work. An alternator with no load spins very easily. As load increases, it becomes harder and harder to turn the alternator. There is no reservoir of generated but unused electricity waiting to be put to use.

When I was a kid, we took a field trip to the electrical generating plant. There they had a bicycle hooked up to a generator and an array of switchable lights connected to the generator. With no lights switched on, the bicycle pedaled very easily. As the lights were switched on, it became harder to pedal until it was impossible for this (at the time) 97 pound weakling.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by desconhecido
No, that's not how alternators work. An alternator with no load spins very easily. As load increases, it becomes harder and harder to turn the alternator. There is no reservoir of generated but unused electricity waiting to be put to use.

When I was a kid, we took a field trip to the electrical generating plant. There they had a bicycle hooked up to a generator and an array of switchable lights connected to the generator. With no lights switched on, the bicycle pedaled very easily. As the lights were switched on, it became harder to pedal until it was impossible for this (at the time) 97 pound weakling.
abe told me that the alternator does two things- it charges the battery after starting and supplies current to the electrical system once the engine is running. if the electrical system requires voltage for anything such as lights or even a hydrolysis machine, once the engine is running the voltage for everything comes from the alternator unless the alternator cant give enough current then the battery supplies whats needed until the battery is too low.
so if you needed voltage or current to split water it would come from the alternator and that would put a strain on the alternator that would require more power from the engine to compensate even if it is only .001 horsepower and you wouldn't get enough horsepower from burning the gas to compensate for the power needed by the alternator and friction.
should've gone to college.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:21 PM

^

Great example from desconhecido.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

I love learning new things

Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 PM

those little hydrogen generators are a scam & don't do crap!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by turborich
those little hydrogen generators are a scam & don't do crap!
that's what abe said!!

but he said that if you could let them run overnight and you capture the gasses they would burn in the engine and give extra power, more than normal, and that would let the alternator charge the battery back up quicker and youd get as much mileage as you did without out the gasses since the battery would be in a discharged state to begin with and would require more horsepower to recharge.
this is starting to make sense
Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM

"Anyone tried using hydrogen generators?"

NO. Ever since the Hindenburg went up in flames, I have stayed away from hydrogen.

However, my plutonium powered 4X-warp-drive 22R is working well.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 PM

any energy gained out of adding an extra generator to the alternator would put the flywheel under more load, creating more force (gas) needed to spin the flywheel and thus decreasing gas mileage. The only good tradeoff would be if there was no friction on the flywheel / alternator / belts, and even then, the energy made by the generator would equal the energy needed to push the car that much more because of the extra strain it was put under.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 PM

so I gather you'd have to generate the gas in such a way that no extra load was placed on the engine or charging system to either recharge the battery during or after generating the gas or operate the machinery in order to see a net gain.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sin91
so I gather you'd have to generate the gas in such a way that no extra load was placed on the engine or charging system to either recharge the battery during or after generating the gas or operate the machinery in order to see a net gain.
All you need to know about hydrogen and transportation is this.

1. Best if there is a RESERVOIR, so that is the cars readily available fuel.
2. Creating the fuel would take massive amounts of electricity, which would put out as many if not more greenhouse gas emissions then the car would per mile.
3. The only logical solution would be to create huge solar and wind power plants to generate the electricity to fuel these hydrogen cars, only then would it not be a waste of time and just a help to some bureaucrats trying to make themselves or country look better.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:29 PM

It's most definitely not a scam, although I can understand why most people would think so. I have run a rather "crude" hydroxy generator in my '94 22re, and my improved mileage was 12%. Not much, and it could probably do better if I had a more efficient generator. My application also required a device called an EFIE to make it work right. On my Saturn, I couldn't get any gains with it. There are some reputable people over on the Yahoo Groups "Hydroxy" forum that have seen results. The results do vary, and when working with this stuff there are no gurantees. Too many variables.

Most of you probably saw the Dateline show exposing Dennis Lee for the scam artist that he probably is, but don't then assume that there is no validity in oxy/hydrogen fuel for internal combustion applications.

One more thing. Storing hydroxy gas in some kind of container is a bad idea (very explosive).
Old 04-30-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by outdoorfan
It's most definitely not a scam, although I can understand why most people would think so. I have run a rather "crude" hydroxy generator in my '94 22re, and my improved mileage was 12%. Not much, and it could probably do better if I had a more efficient generator. My application also required a device called an EFIE to make it work right. On my Saturn, I couldn't get any gains with it. There are some reputable people over on the Yahoo Groups "Hydroxy" forum that have seen results. The results do vary, and when working with this stuff there are no gurantees. Too many variables.

Most of you probably saw the Dateline show exposing Dennis Lee for the scam artist that he probably is, but don't then assume that there is no validity in oxy/hydrogen fuel for internal combustion applications.

One more thing. Storing hydroxy gas in some kind of container is a bad idea (very explosive).
GTFO! And the only cars fueled by hydrogen have tanks that withstand extremely high pressures. That is what they're built for.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by outdoorfan
My application also required a device called an EFIE to make it work right.
Electronic Fuel Injection that's Electronic?

never heard of EFIE before

If this method honestly boosted MPG's by 12%, why don't car companies put them in their cars? Why doesn't the prius run one?

Baking soda and vinegar is an EXTREMELY inefficient reaction. To create enough pressure to even blow up a water bottle with making soda and vinegar takes a lot of both, let alone trying to use energy from that reaction to power a 3000 lb car. The safest powerful reaction is converting water to steam, as water increases 1700 times its size when it converts to steam. This is why we use steam to harness the power of nuclear generators. I have never heard of a baking soda powered center yet, and doubt i ever will.

IF you really want your car that much more efficient, either drive like a grandpa, or ride a bike (either motorcycle or bicycle). Remember you're driving at least a 15 year old vehicle. Its not going to have the best MPG's in the world, but at least gas is down to $2.30 a gal in california, let alone the prices in states like good ol' texas and other podunk states (need some ice for that burn?).
Old 04-30-2009, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by xzyragon
Its not going to have the best MPG's in the world, but at least gas is down to $2.30 a gal in california, let alone the prices in states like good ol' texas and other podunk states (need some ice for that burn?).
say that in person
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
say that in person
haha

im actually jealous of texas for all but one thing... i hate humidity.

Otherwise, texans get WAY cheaper gas, get to carry around guns for no reason, are UBER conservative, and have way better speed limits, as well as yeilds everywhere.

Really the only good things about california are the weather, beaches, and the chicks

Quick Reply: Anyone tried using hydrogen generators?