86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

almost stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost stalling

hey, so this is sorta a repost, but just with some new info.
i have a 1990 22re 4runner. just swapped a newish engine in. after driving it for almost 200km it started having issues. it's not when i first start it, it's when it warms up. then when sitting, the idle will drop majorly all of the sudden and stall. if i keep my foot on the gas it's fine, but if not it dies. it'll start back up fine, and run fine when it's cooled down again. but after riding for a bit it starts up again. any thoughts? in the last post it was thought fuel issues. any thought on a sensor or vacuum hose that could be screwed up?
thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM

If you slowly have a loss of coolant it could be a air bubble in your cooling system causing the temp sensor to misread. Could also be a bad temp sensor. You may also want to check the air flow meter and make sure it is within spec and the flapper inside is clean and operates perfectly smooth. Is your idle is set to low, normally the screw is turned out 2-3 turns. Also in my sig is a link to FSMs that may come in useful.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:36 PM

hey, thanks for the response. i took it for a drive today, about 45 minutes of pretty much constant driving, mix of town and highway. no problems whatsoever. so i don't know whats going on, it was only doing it after idling. i think the truck would have been good and warmed up after the drive today, and it ran fine, great actually. guess i'll see if it happens again when im plowing next. thanks
Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
set the idle and timing with the engine fully warmed up
Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

ok, so i got some more figured out on the issue today. it seems to be getting worse too, so i'm gonna have to get it figured out fast i think. so i'm pretty sure its fuel related now. when i'm driving on the highway its fine, but right after i stop now it drops in idle. it's like it's sorta flooding itself once i stop. after it starts doing it if i rev the engine up say 3500rpm for a few seconds it dissapears and i can go again. so it's like theres some extra fuel being pumped out and flooding the engine. injector maybe? any thoughts on that would be great! thanks
Old 12-28-2009, 08:33 AM

anyone? i need to solve this soon, i have to go on a trip soon and i need it fixing asap.
thanks
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM

tps or check your maf
sounds like your tps to me. fuel injection doesn't flood itself like that, it would be lack of spark before flooding itself. unless you have tampered with the fueling system (larger injectors, higher pressure, etc.)
Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM

ok, i'm trying to replace the fuel filter right now. i did replace it a while ago, but the truck was sitting for a couple of years, so i'm gonna try this for now, and see how it turns out. but i will put the idle down a bit too, since it's too high. i'm gonna get the new filter tomorrow and put it in.
i'll update it as to what happens. if it doesn't help then i'm gonna be looking for other solutions again
thanks
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 AM

When they run rich you will normally get a little smoke out the exhaust and it will smell rich.
If that is the case I would look at the air flow meter. Check it with a ohm meter and make sure that the flapper inside is not stuck, it should be clean and function smoothly. This is the main component that controls gas.