Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

almost killed in snow (driving tips needed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lots of good advice here...
100 lbs of tools is def. not enough... you don't need the 800+lbs I drag around lol but for our trucks tired suspension or not 100lbs is nothing... a full tank of gas weighs more than that... grab a couple of those storage bins the sell at HD or CT the ones with the flip top lids and fill them with sand... get 3 2x4s and make a simple frame with one across the bed in front of the wheel well and one behind held in place by cross members cut from the third set beside each well... set the sand boxes in between here and they won't slide all over the place in back... this way the sand will be accessible if you need to grab a scoop or 2 for traction... also your tool box can be placed nearer the gate which makes it easier to get to also.

You can drive all winter with the hubs locked with no ill effect on anything except a small hit on your fuel econ. Around here in Ont. though you can unlock for most days and just lock up for a storm and the few days after while the crews get caught up clearing... be careful of side streets they don't get cleared as fast and when they are they get icy sooner because they don't get sanded/salted or have the volume of traffic to keep them "traffic cleared"...
watch out for rainy wet stuff though... I was out walking in the big smoke new year's eve during the 'sleet' storm and the side walks and back roads were glazed like a Timmy's Old Fashioned... I was walking and I had no traction... almost went on my butt a few times and the parking lots were no better...
What everyone else said keep your head up, brake gently and early, no hard acceleration and you should be ok...
just remember winter driving it's not a matter of if you skid (you will at least once), but when and where you skid and how you react.
Be careful out there everyone

Last edited by aviator; 01-01-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
One thing that no one has mentioned is temperature. That is one of the most important things in my way of looking at winter driving . Driving on snow pack in below zero F temps is so different then the same road at 30 to 32 F

As the temperature increases the amount of water in the snow or ice increases could be man made from salt or just the air temperature rising .

If you have ever watched figure skating (yuck) that is why they always have that thin layer of water . To make the ice all the more slippery.

I have seen this temperature played out many times just going out my driveway in the morning while still dark and cold no problem 2wd right out to the township road . 500 feet long 50' in elevation

If it is warm out like now @30F it will be a 4wd morning.

Of course all the others tips are great weight over the rear axle, good tires , proper speeds and following distance . My self i tend to stay home if i do need to go out i seek out the roads less traveled as far from idiots as possible

NO one mentioned it, because weather control is a tough talent to master